Joker origin Movie

Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
Never mind Spawn, Kick-Ass supposedly cost around $30 million and people like it (I don't).

- Comparing Todd Philips to David o Russell is not ideal. David O Russell had brilliance in his early career. That did not go anywhere. Almost all his movies have similar tone as fighter/hustle/playbook. He was never called a comedic director. All his movies are part drama. Todd Philips movies are more in comedic end. Even war dogs felt like a cheap knock off to wolf of wall street. How many of those american dream based movies are there ?
- A crime fighting guy whose body regenerates itself and still get to have and sleep with a girlfriend despite looking like he does he more upbeat than a "cautionary tale" of joker as it read in official logline. People go into deadpool for laughing. Joker not so much
- I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this point because I don't think Russell's films are anywhere near brilliant, though they are arguably closer to being tolerable than Phillips'.
- In fairness, he spends most of the first Deadpool angsting over the fact that she might think he's hideous now and even when that's proven untrue...

WARNING: "Deadpool 2" spoilers below
at the start of Deadpool 2 she still gets murdered by a criminal who's trying to kill Deadpool, which sends him even further off the deep end

I'm just saying there's more to the guy than just being a joke machine.

No. Way.

Vice President
358 Exchange Place New York, N.Y. 10099 FAX 212 555 6390 TELEX : () 4534

They're really going retro with this Joker movie version. I'm liking what I'm seeing.
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

The only reason I have any interest in this movie is because of Joaquin, this first video of him as Joker has already impressed me so I hope that at least his performance is good ...

Figured this should have its own thread.

"Last week, news broke that WB was planning a Joker origin movie that would not be set in the current DCEU.

At the time we were told that the Todd Philips-helmed film would take influence from producer Martin Scorsese's early work such as Raging Bull and Taxi Driver, and now we might just have a few intriguing - if no doubt polarising - new details to add.

Former MMA fighter Brendan Schaub is friends with Phillips’ agent Todd Feldman, and while appearing on The Joe Rogan Experience (of all places) he revealed the following:

My boy Todd Feldman put this together with Todd Phillips. It’s dark. It’s like a dark Joker. As a kid, he had a permanent smile and everyone made fun of him. It’s like on the streets of Brooklyn. It’s super dark and real.

How much stock you decide to put into this is up to you - but there is a decent chance Schaub did hear a few tidbits relating to the project, which is only in the very early planning stages."
While I do love the Joker as a character. He is a hard character to get right so it worries me this could flop.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
It will be the best comic movie of the last 5 years.

Not sure what those movies are...

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
WARNING: "Shot by shot teaser trailer spoiled" spoilers below

• The trailer starts with a shot of Manhattan doubling as Gotham City.
  • Arthur talking to his therapist.
  • A shot of him flashing the first of several creepy smiles in the trailer.
  • We see him walking and then, at home, we see him bathing his mother in a tub.
  • He says his mother tells him to put on a happy face.
  • His job is to dress as a clown and spin a sign on a street corner.
  • Some thugs take his sign, robbing and beating him.
  • We hear Arthur say: “Is it me or are things getting crazier out there?”
  • Shots of Arthur on a date with Sophie.
  • We see him crossing the street to Arkham Hospital.
  • There’s a quick shot of an orderly looking up. The actor playing that role? Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse’s Brian Tyree Henry.
  • Arthur in an elevator unnerved by a patient thrashing in a stretcher.
  • Arthur looking at the reflection of his face in clown makeup.
  • Arthur running through a tunnel.
  • We finally see him in full Joker makeup.
  • Thomas Wayne is giving a speech about how Gotham has lost its way, about how wrong it is for people to hide behind masks.
  • Shots of angry onlookers and crowd control police clashing, urban chaos.
  • And it looks like Arthur actually meets young Bruce Wayne. There’s a shot of Arthur reaching through the bars of a gate (possibly at Wayne Manor) and pulling the boy’s lips up to make a smiley face.
  • A quick shot of Robert De Niro as a talk show host on a very Johnny Carson-like set.
  • Arthur’s dialogue: “I used to think my life was a tragedy. But now I believe it’s a comedy.”
  • We see Joker dancing down a long set of stairs.
  • The last shot is Joker, in full makeup but not smiling, getting into an elevator

Welcome to the human race...
^Eh, the last thing Nolan-Joker needed was an entire film about his actual backstory.

I'm the opposite of Yoda in that the idea's interesting but I am not exactly impressed by what the trailer's shown so far.

I have zero knowledge of these types of films as they're not something I am interested in, but can someone tell me if this is a standalone film?

Is it going to be a film that will make sense if you don't know anything about these comic book worlds / characters? Or do you need to be involved in some backstory of the 'Joker' and his peers etc?

I have zero knowledge of these types of films as they're not something I am interested in, but can someone tell me if this is a standalone film?

Is it going to be a film that will make sense if you don't know anything about these comic book worlds / characters? Or do you need to be involved in some backstory of the 'Joker' and his peers etc?
It’s a stand-alone type of affair. So you can go right in.

I think there’ll probably be a few references for those who know the character and universe but this is not part of the current DCEU and not (for now at least) something that’s supposed to bind things together or continue something from another film. Also, Phoenix wouldn’t be involved then. He isn’t interested in being part of a bigger universe.

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"
this is not part of the current DCEU and not (for now at least) something that’s supposed to bind things together or continue something from another film. Also, Phoenix wouldn’t be involved then. He isn’t interested in being part of a bigger universe.

That was why he turned down the role of Doctor Strange when he was offered the role. He didn't want to sign a 6-movie contract, and hence Benedict Cumberbatch took the role.

As for DC, I think the DCEU is pretty much non-existent at this point. We have this film, Wonder Woman 1984 being confirmed as not a sequel, but a standalone movie, James Gunn's soon to shoot The Suicide Squad is a reboot and not a sequel, and Matt Reeves' The Batman will feature a younger Batman and not the Batfleck incarnation, and is rumored to be set in the 1990s. As for The Flash, that's still up in the air right now, but last rumor is that Ezra Miller and Grant Morrison are writing a script that is dark as opposed to hired guns Jonathan Goldstein and John Francis Daley's "light hearted" approach and with Miller getting ready to shoot the next Fantastic Beasts film this fall, shooting may not begin until at the very least 2020.