The Dark Knight Rises

Tools    

"Hey Look it's Masterman"
WARNING: "Bane" spoilers below

The mask is an anesthetic dispenser. Without it, he's almost paralysed.
The comics say that it's Venom serum that makes him stronger.

In TDKR, it's anesthetic... which is also why he is so strong as he feels almost no pain at all with the mask.

If you notice in the scene where they capture Gordon, he has his top off and you see a scar down his spine from an injury he suffered at the hands of those prisoners when he helped Talia escape.
Okay but why in the flashback is he just sitting there all bandaged up and seemed okay without a mask ?

I thought the flashback was before and during the incident with the prisoners, so at that time, he didn't need the mask as he wasn't in pain.
It was that incident with the prisoners that caused his injury and his pain.

I thought the flashback was before and during the incident with the prisoners, so at that time, he didn't need the mask as he wasn't in pain.
It was that incident with the prisoners that caused his injury and his pain.
No when the league of shadows come to get him he's sitting with his face bandaged up but i didn't get the impression he was in pain.

No when the league of shadows come to get him he's sitting with his face bandaged up but i didn't get the impression he was in pain.
WARNING: "batspoils" spoilers below
actually the guy who pretends not to speak english does mention that he was the first one to medicate him, so it could be possible that he would inject it every now & then..

I really don't know what to think of it, when the Blu ray is released ime gonna watch all three movie back to back see what I think as a whole.

Abit of topic but can anyone give me the name of the comics these movies are based on?

Don't give the prick the satisfaction.
Yep true but thats because batman messed his mask up which I just don't get at all. We see a flashback of bane sitting there with his face wrapped up in the prison and he didn't seem in that much pain as to when batman knocked his mask off? What was the mask actually doing for him or did I miss something because all anyway kept saying was pain.
The mask is the thing that makes him stronger. In the comics and in the tv show, he uses Venom to keep his strength up. When Batman began to damage the mask he began to cut off his source of power.

Batman: Year One, The Long Halloween, Knightfall, and Frank Miller's run. Probably others too, they're not direct adaptations clearly.
Is year one like a collection of comics or 1 book.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
I wonder if we might be so lucky to see an epic Directors cut allowing for the movie to feel a little less rushed in places.

WARNING: "spoilers" spoilers below
In response to the "How did he travel back to Gotham from the desert" and "how did he sneak back into Gotham" criticism.

Well he is after all a trained member of the League of Shadows, a master Ninja. In Raz Al Ghul's own words "the greatest student he ever had". So basically under the guise of the Playboy Billionaire, Bruce Wayne is one of the most capable dangerous men on the planet, like Jason Bourne or something.

The point I'm trying to make is that we don't need to know how he got back and snuck into Gotham, only that he has the requisite skillset to do this with relative ease.

Or maybe he made a phonecall to one of his Billionaire pals, or friends in the Government that helped him with his Sonar project at the end of TDK.

It wasn't just the how did he get back to Gothem I had a problem with there was alot of things, example, when batman is chasing the other motorbikes down and the police corner him in a entry the bat (plane ) happened to be there.

It wasn't just the how did he get back to Gothem I had a problem with there was alot of things, example, when batman is chasing the other motorbikes down and the police corner him in a entry the bat (plane ) happened to be there.
Really? You mean the world's greatest detective isn't allowed to have the foresight of an escape plan when he is the most wanted man in the city? But you accepted the Joker's ridiculous plan in TDK? Do you often forget where you parked your Bat-wing when you go out for the night?

This is exactly the kind of trivial nit-picking that is driving me nuts about this film.

BATSPOILERS below..

Disappointed doesn't always mean one disliked the film... it means that it was a let down compared to the previous ones.
Why? This was my point all along. It's right on par with the previous two films. Unfortunately it lacked a performance like the one Heath Ledger gave in The Dark Knight. People are so wrapped up in the pencil tricks and chaotic nature of that character that they allow the faults of the movie to slip by. This film comes along and is just as solid a film but we don't have that masterful performance to latch onto so the film gets unfair treatment.

Well you do explain your points well.. & I did mention that I liked the ending of the film & how it wrapped up the saga.
But I just don't like the events that lead to that great ending, I still disagree with the 8 year absence. you say in 8 years there weren't any crimes.. But a certain Cat Burglar seemed to have made a career in Gotham in the past 8 years or so. Bane has been plotting as well..
Or is it that Bruce Wayne waits for crime to appear on news channel & newspapers to go looking for it.. some hispanic kids brother died, why? cos Bruce Wayne felt there was no crime to fight? & god knows how many innocent people died in those 8 years, which he could have avoided..
The idea of him becoming Batman was to help the weak & also there is this thing about his vengeance.. & it just doesn't end at vengeance for his parents death, but isn't this guy supposed to be obsessed with punishment?
The greatest themes of philosophy lies in Batman's vengeance & modus operandi of fighting crimes.
Bruce had a very defined enemy in the first two films; organized crime and rampant corruption. That was gone and there was no need for Batman to run around catching drug dealers and gang bangers. Those were never the real threat to Gotham.

I do get your belief in the philosophy of the film, but if you're talking about personal journey & stuff like that, that could be found in countless other films, it's true no doubt Nolan did it best, but it's just cos of the ending that the personal journey seems to shape up well, but that is no excuse for the poorly written rest of the film.
What, specifically, was poorly written about the film?

& did I mention that this movie had some of the weakest dialogues I have seen this year.
Again, The Dark Knight had the line "Have a nice trip, see you next fall" in it. I don't think any of Nolan's films have truly great dialog (just look at the exposition fest of Inception), but it's the way he constructs his narratives combined with amazing technical skills that makes him such an accomplished director.

& one more thing, now that BouncingBrick has mentioned the thing about Personal Journey in the film, I have just given it a thought while writing this post & I think I just started liking the movie a bit more, but in a different POV, the personal journey of a guy called John Blake.. & how he convinces his idol back into action & ends up taking his mantle in the end... hence the title appears pretty neatly in the end "THE DARK KNIGHT RISES".
If that's what Nolan intended, than I am begininng to appreciate the film more.. but still that doesn't make me forget that I am not happy with the treatment given to Bruce Wayne's character.
Blake did have a great journey in the film. But it also begs the question of "will he become like Bruce Wayne and take the obsession too far?"

Re: "have a nice trip, see you next fall." A cop said it. I thought it was supposed to be hokey, because it's just a working class guy saying something smartass. I'm not sure it's supposed to be thought of as clever or original at all.

Quick question: is anyone else kind of stunned that we never saw underneath Bane's mask?

Don't give the prick the satisfaction.
Really? You mean the world's greatest detective isn't allowed to have the foresight of an escape plan when he is the most wanted man in the city? But you accepted the Joker's ridiculous plan in TDK? Do you often forget where you parked your Bat-wing when you go out for the night?
Sums up my response pretty much. I'm sure if someone can remember where they left their bike that they take to work, a person like Bruce Wayne would have no trouble remembering where he left off his flying machine.

In any case, him getting to the alley and then flying off in that machine is a really sweet touch to the movie.

There are those who call me...Tim.
Re: "have a nice trip, see you next fall." A cop said it. I thought it was supposed to be hokey, because it's just a working class guy saying something smartass. I'm not sure it's supposed to be thought of as clever or original at all.

Quick question: is anyone else kind of stunned that we never saw underneath Bane's mask?
I'm kind of thrilled Keeps the mystique alive that we didn't see whatever damage had been to him.

Keep on Rockin in the Free World

**THE FOLLOWING CONTAINS SPOILERS AND I'M NOT WRAPPING IT BECAUSE YOU NIT-PICKERS NEED TO READ IT!** (plus, if you're reading this thread without having watched the film then you are looking to be spoiled on purpose)
Fanboys are so annyoying.

Spoilers below.

Bruce had a very defined enemy in the first two films; organized crime and rampant corruption. That was gone and there was no need for Batman to run around catching drug dealers and gang bangers. Those were never the real threat to Gotham.
& ohh exactly why does Bruce Wayne go underground in the first film, to get to the very root of all evil, right? Walking around the Manor with a cane wont exactly make him realize what's happening in the city. Atleast not unless Alfred uses his supercomputer that has databases on secretive organizations like League of Shadows & who they kick out... Or maybe Alfred uses an online forum to do his research..

I think he made it quite clear in the first movie that he hates all sorts of crime & everything has its roots.. if there are dealers, there are people who supply.. it's a vicious circle..

What, specifically, was poorly written about the film?
well, everything but the ending! I did mention it over & over again.
Everything about the film seems like a deliberate plot generator to lead to another situation.. The bomb, Alfred getting all emotional, & what not..

I have no idea why do you have to try so hard to prove to us nit-pickers that it's a great film? When we have a clear good mind to decide about it.
It's just the truth, it's a weak film.

& I am not one of the guys who went "Oh my god Heath Ledger rocks!! oh my god" about TDK.. I have ocassionally pointed out it's flaws in other threads, & most know about it here... But I wont discuss TDK here.
& let's not forget I was one of the very few that believed Nolan could pull of a Selina Kyle, when noone believed that she might make a good part of the saga & she most cerntainly did.. in fact even more than any expectations..
But once again I wasn't happy with the way she was woven into the plot, but it wasn't anything major to complain about..