Superman: Man of Steel

Tools    

Then watch the ones meant for kids.
Why is that a comic book/superhero movie is meant only for kids?
I didn't say they were meant only for kids. I just don't get why people feel the need to exclude kids from the super-hero comic/movie audience by ramping up the sex and violence content. Superman: The Movie is still, IMO, the greatest super-hero movie, and the one I compare all the others to. It was an intelligent, entertaining movie that both kids and adults could enjoy. And what's wrong with that?

BTW, outside of stuff like The Incredibles and MegaMind, I don't think there are super-hero movies meant for kids anymore. Certainly not any based on the established Marvel and DC characters.

I agree Superman is an awesome Family film..
But not all costumed superheroes are meant for kids, though they might seem appealing.

Orgazmo, Watchmen, V for Vendetta, etc.. are examples of that.
It's just that Comic books have widened their range of storytelling & not just meant for kids anymore.

While there are comics like JLA, Avengers, Spiderman for kids.. we have Doom Patrol, Animal Man, Judge Dredd for adults.
Not all adult based comics have violence or sex in them, Doom Patrol & Animal Man are classic examples of complexities in modern comics with various form of art & literary allusions.

I can absolutely agree with you on that. I have no problem with Watchmen, V for Vendetta, and even Kick Ass as more adult geared super-hero fare. My thoughts are more about the long-time favorites, like Superman, Batman, Spider-Man, the X-Men, etc. Basically, if they've appeared on Saturday morning cartoons, IMO, these characters should remain in more family friendly territory. Not neccessarily FOR kids, but not anti-kids either.

I don't know if you read many current comics, but even the ones you listed are not always kid-friendly anymore. They have the Marvel Adventures line, which is a good all-ages line, and the DC Kids line, but I can't regularly let my younger boys read the main line books anymore.

I would like to add that I don't think comics were ever "just for kids." Stan Lee wrote many great stories in the beginning of Marvel that were not written specifically for kids, but kids could enjoy them just as easily as older readers. To me, that's the meaning of "all-ages"/"family friendly" super-hero stories.

Spider-man & Superman can still be considered for kids..
But I guess Batman has taken many directions, I must be the only on this planet who will say this.. I think 2 or more versions of Batman can co-exist at the same time.

What I mean is that while we have Nolan's Batman ruling people's mind, there could also exist a batman in the style of Adam West. People will surely compare, but they can still be entertaining. Many will hate it, but those are not Batman fans, those are fans of Nolan's version of Batman.

So while we have Christian Bale battling realistic gangsters & anarchists, we can have a Batman loaded with an arsenal of campy gadgets with a sidekick & not to forget the traditional comic book villains.
But I guess that's why we have those Direct-to-video animated movies.

So while we have Christian Bale battling realistic gangsters & anarchists, we can have a Batman loaded with an arsenal of campy gadgets with a sidekick & not to forget the traditional comic book villains.
But I guess that's why we have those Direct-to-video animated movies.
To a degree we kind of have that now. We have the Nolan films, which are not my favorites but most people like them, and also "The Brave and the Bold" cartoon, which I think is excellent. It's not as campy as the Adam West Batman, which I also love, but is much more light-hearted than many versions of Batman over the years.

Those direct-to-DVD animated movies are a good idea, but several of them have language and violence that make them also not suitable for younger kids.

Batman Returns is my all time favourite.

Brave & The Bold is an awesome show, I like the way they maintain the serious image of Batman but throw him in all sort of crazy scenarios.. also teaming him up with all sort of wacky heroes.
Aquaman makes me laugh the most.

Mask of the Phantasm will always be the best Batman film till date, I am sure many will disagree.

Semper Fooey
I don't like new Doom Patrol. I loved old Doom Patrol. My all time favorite villain team, Brotherhood of Evil. A French speaking gorilla, a French disembodied Brain, and a sexy older French headmistress. Doesn't get better than that.

Batman Returns is my all time favourite.

Brave & The Bold is an awesome show, I like the way they maintain the serious image of Batman but throw him in all sort of crazy scenarios.. also teaming him up with all sort of wacky heroes.
Aquaman makes me laugh the most.

Mask of the Phantasm will always be the best Batman film till date, I am sure many will disagree.
I can agree with that. "Batman: The Animated Series" is definitely my favorite interpretation of Batman. I felt that series was true to everything that was great about the characters. And Aquaman is awesome on B&tB.

I don't like new Doom Patrol. I loved old Doom Patrol. My all time favorite villain team, Brotherhood of Evil. A French speaking gorilla, a French disembodied Brain, and a sexy older French headmistress. Doesn't get better than that.
If you mean the recent Doom Patrol, I didn't even bother reading it.
But I was mainly talking about the late 80's reincarnation of Doom Patrol by Grant Morrison, which was awesome. But I also love the original Doom Patrol a lot.

My another favourite comic character that doesn't get much notice is Kamandi.

Semper Fooey
Morrison Doom Patrol might be too out there for a movie, but Elastigirl seemed two normal compared to the other two. Maybe if they do a movie version they replace her with Crazy Mary or make Rita more like Crazy Mary.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
BTW, outside of stuff like The Incredibles and MegaMind, I don't think there are super-hero movies meant for kids anymore. Certainly not any based on the established Marvel and DC characters.
Have you not seen any of the animated films produced from both Marvel and DC? How about The New Avengers, Green Lantern: First Flight, The Invincible Iron Man, to name a few. Not to mention the countless TV shows that have been on in just the last 15 years. Both Marvel and DC continue to court the little ones, but they can't put all their focus on the "Under 18" crowd.

Now, as far as a new Superman film goes, I've already put in my two cents on that.

Good day.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Have you not seen any of the animated films produced from both Marvel and DC? How about The New Avengers, Green Lantern: First Flight, The Invincible Iron Man, to name a few. Not to mention the countless TV shows that have been on in just the last 15 years. Both Marvel and DC continue to court the little ones, but they can't put all their focus on the "Under 18" crowd.
Sorry, I missed this post a while back. You mean those animated direct-to-dvd films that are still rated PG-13 and still have amped-up violence and cursing in them? Yes, I've seen a few, and some of them are very good, but they're still not neccessarily for kids. Some are more acceptable than others, of course, just like the live action movies. I don't mean "Under 18," I mean "Under 10." Just because they're animated doesn't automatically make them for kids.

I have no complaints about the tv shows. Marvel and DC have both produced very fine shows on the small screen. My issue is, why does each new Batman film have to be less and less appropriate for the 6 year old who loves "Batman: The Brave and the Bold" on tv?

Semper Fooey
Not a big deal unless the screenplay ends up being rewritten. Ridley Scott ruined Robin Hood by throwing out the original screenplay.

About a superhero film that is more targetted for adult audiences is a very difficult topic for me to discuss.

I don't think majority of the audiences will be able to accept Batman in a universe like the one shown in Brave & the Bold.
People want their Batman in a realistic world fighting realistic people.

I for one always prefer a realistic & highly resourceful Batman in a surrealistic hyper-reality..

Semper Fooey
Let the superherp fit the movie.

Spiderman, Superman are more family friendly.

Batman, Wolverine not.

Some like Hulk can go either way.