It ain't highlight, it ain't lowlight it just needs to be said

Tools    

I gave away the last vestiges of my job that was re-organized into a different position. It was weird... I got attached to my job. It feels like losing a friend.

So, post your weird stuff here...

I'm confused as to what happened, but I'm sorry to hear you feel that way. I do think I get the idea of the thread: just something you need to say...surreal stuff, maybe, eh? I guess I'd say, for me, it was pretty weird to hear myself on tape today. Like most people, I inevitably think "Do I really sound like that?"

Now With Moveable Parts
I helped an old man find pizza sauce, at the store. He looked as though I had shown him the lost city of Atlantis.

i vacillate from feeling really grounded, and intuitive to doubting i have any real sense of who the hell i am.

Rock God
it's not highlight, it's not lowlight, but it needs to be said:

justin timberlake and ryan phillippe are the same person.

Funny as hell, but they have one big difference: I think Phillipe's a cool guy. I've got to admire him; he's married to Reese Witherspoon, after all.

Now With Moveable Parts
Why does Ryan Phillipe talk with that awkward accent?

Originally posted by patti
i vacillate from feeling really grounded, and intuitive to doubting i have any real sense of who the hell i am.
Fear not wise one. Those sober winds that carry you as feather will quiet upon unexpected plateau, for it is not that final destination that you seek but the colorful journey. It is the journey that gradually defines who you are, day by day, moment by moment, breath by breath. When you know, you will have lived and you will be able to look backward through time and know who you were.

I had this weird dream that I was teaching T all about data transfer and parity bits... very strange. You did a good job though, T... wanna job?

Toose, you're such a romantic guy......thanks for the poetic wisdom and for your playful spirit.

your posts always make me smile.

'tis a question we all wrestle with, is it not? Who you are today is one who is less wise than who you will be tomorrow. We have no way of knowing who we will be, and how our tomorrows will form us. Our yesterdays shape us, our todays fire us in the kiln and our tomorrows shatter us into raw material yet again. Love deeply your todays, and your yesterdays because they are the hands that have molded you into who you are. Look forward to your tomorrows because they shape you into what you will be... you can try to chart a course but the winds of destiny will surely fill your sails and send you to undreamed of places.

Thank me not, Patti... I am simply a product of my time as you are...

I do thank you for the smile

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by Toose

for it is not that final destination that you seek but the colorful journey. It is the journey that gradually defines who you are, day by day, moment by moment, breath by breath. When you know, you will have lived and you will be able to look backward through time and know who you were.

I'm learning this.

Well, I don't mean to come across as miserly, but I only partially believe in destiny. Destiny conflicts with free will. I think the closest thing we have to destiny is that God sometimes puts something in front of us...a choice or option we wouldn't have had otherwise...but I don't think the road we decide to take as a result of that is destiny. I think we are destined to face decisions, but not destined to make them.

Always so practical and logical T. If God can ask us to choose can't he also alter how we choose? I know what you'll say but if God truly has a plan he can't let us screw it up with a bad choice can he?

Originally posted by Toose
Always so practical and logical T. If God can ask us to choose can't he also alter how we choose? I know what you'll say but if God truly has a plan he can't let us screw it up with a bad choice can he?
I don't think God has that kind of plan. I think we have free will. If we don't have free will, then what is the point of this all? It is free will that makes it work...I don't believe in a God that would make me do things, because everything I read and feel tells me that it is the CHOICE that makes our turning to Him so special. If he's just hand-picking who will believe him, what value is it?

I think God puts choices in front of us...but what is the value of a choice that is made if we didn't actually make it ourselves? I think there are definitely right and wrong choices, but it's still a choice. One of the reasons I remind myself of this is because if I start thinking of a certain choice as my destiny, I think of it as inevitable, and then I may very well end up talking myself into decisions that I shouldn't make.

And yes, I know, that's my reputation. I come across as Mr. Spock here. I don't know if I can convince you that I'm not always thinking that way (honestly, those who know me think I'm too emotional sometimes)...but I'll sure say here that I am most definitely not.

Allright Mr. Spock, I didn't mean to be accusatory or paint you as an emotionless mannequin. Your arguments make sense of course. I do know that I am driven by my senses far more than I am driven by thought and logic. I am wired this way.

Oh, I don't feel attacked or accused. I know I come off a certain way...just wanted to say that I'm not the robot I often appear to be.

As for hard wiring: well, I'd say your senses are quite logical. I don't isolate logic and emotion from one another, because I believe we were given our emotions to help feel out things, partially by instinct, that mere logical thought can't help us with. Naturally, too much of one or the other, though, is trouble.

Anyway, even if I were to believe in destiny, I don't think I'd ever call anything destiny until it had already happened. Life's full of too many curveballs for me to guess this or that otherwise.

something a therapist helped me see once, when i was stuck in a bad place, was to realize i was "on the bridge".......taking steps to where i wanted to be....versus staring at the cavernous gap between where you are and where you feel you HAVE to be.
.....we're actually ALWAYS on the bridge.....it IS the journey.