"Freeze! Miami Vice!"

Tools    

I am having a nervous breakdance
I'm really excited about this...

Next year the 21st century movie version of "Miami Vice" will be released. I have always ranked the tv series as one of my favourites. It's one of the few series that I loved as a kid and still love today. I'm not sure if I, as a kid, understood and appreciated the contrast between the glamorous 80s fashion and the jet set milieu on the one hand and the dark and cynical tone and mood formed by the themes and the esthetics - not to mention the music - on the other hand. There was always something bittersweet over "Miami Vice", with the bitter half winning almost every time.

Then of course there is the fact that Michael Mann is one of my favourite filmmakers. He worked as executive producer on the tv series version and clearly left his mark on it, but now I'm drooling because of the fact that he will be in total control of the 2006 movie version. He's written it, he's producing it and he is directing it.

I'm hoping for a mix between Heat and the original tv series. The casting of Colin Farrell as Crockett and Jamie Foxx as Tubbs looks interesting too. I don't know much about the rest of the cast though, but all the classic characters seem to be in there: Lt. Castillo, Gina, Stan Switek, Larry Zito etc. It will be interesting to see what they'll do with the score and the choice of songs and so on. I hope and believe that Mann will keep his artistic integrity and resist lucrative offers from dubious record company people.

What do you guys think? Any more "Miami Vice" fans out there?

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

Originally Posted by Piddzilla
I'm really excited about this...

Next year the 21st century movie version of "Miami Vice" will be released. I have always ranked the tv series as one of my favourites. It's one of the few series that I loved as a kid and still love today. I'm not sure if I, as a kid, understood and appreciated the contrast between the glamorous 80s fashion and the jet set milieu on the one hand and the dark and cynical tone and mood formed by the themes and the esthetics - not to mention the music - on the other hand. There was always something bittersweet over "Miami Vice", with the bitter half winning almost every time.

Then of course there is the fact that Michael Mann is one of my favourite filmmakers. He worked as executive producer on the tv series version and clearly left his mark on it, but now I'm drooling because of the fact that he will be in total control of the 2006 movie version. He's written it, he's producing it and he is directing it.

I'm hoping for a mix between Heat and the original tv series. The casting of Colin Farrell as Crockett and Jamie Foxx as Tubbs looks interesting too. I don't know much about the rest of the cast though, but all the classic characters seem to be in there: Lt. Castillo, Gina, Stan Switek, Larry Zito etc. It will be interesting to see what they'll do with the score and the choice of songs and so on. I hope and believe that Mann will keep his artistic integrity and resist lucrative offers from dubious record company people.

What do you guys think? Any more "Miami Vice" fans out there?
I watched the show all the time when it was. I loved it. The action, drama, and especially Tubbs and Crockett with their smooth moves. The best cop duo on television.

As for the movie, you should check out The Movie Sequel Mania Thread and The Movie Sequel Mania Redux Thread for info. You'll find plenty of cast info, photos and more.

I got for good luck my black tooth.
Never seen the show but the movie should be fun.

Originally Posted by jrs
I watched the show all the time when it was. I loved it. The action, drama, and especially Tubbs and Crockett with their smooth moves. The best cop duo on television.

As for the movie, you should check out The Movie Sequel Mania Thread and The Movie Sequel Mania Redux Thread for info. You'll find plenty of cast info, photos and more.
Ah okay. I did a quick search but didn't find any titles with "Miami Vice" in them, so I started a new thread....

We can't stop here!
I've only seen a couple episodes of Miami Vice and I was nothign short than impressed. For a show made during it's time it was great. I liked all 4 episodes I've seen, even today when it would seem outdated. I was too young to watch it then, so now is better than never. So they're making a movie eh? Sounds promising, especially with Michael Mann in charge. I've always liked him, he's quite brilliant. I'm looking foward to learning more about this movie.

Originally Posted by A0C8C
I liked all 4 episodes I've seen, even today when it would seem outdated.
Actually, it should work perfectly today since the 80s are back in style. Lots of people actually dress like the characters in "Miami Vice" although we used to laugh at their clothes, hairs and make up a few years ago.

I wonder if the movie will be set in the 80s or in present time.

The People's Republic of Clogher
One of my more prized DVD sets...

I'll judge the movie on it's own terms, though Mann's a favourite of mine too.

Originally Posted by Tacitus
One of my more prized DVD sets...

I'll judge the movie on it's own terms, though Mann's a favourite of mine too.
Cool box! And I think Mann will do a great job. It's "his" creation almost, after all.

Originally Posted by jrs
In the present
Ok. Thanks!

I love Miami Vice... and can't wait to see this... Wonder if they're going to bring Elvis back on board...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Ooh, that's right!! I'd forgotten about Elvis!! Yeah... Perhaps the Animal Rights movement has grown a bit stronger since the 80s. We'll just have to wait and see.

I liked it when it was on but haven't had the desire to watch it again. Jan Hammer's music was cool too. Overall, pretty enjoyable.

I didn't care to see the movie at all, though...until I read this post. I'll check it out eventually. Theaterwise tho'? It'll depend on what else is out at the time.

Thanks for the info.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

The People's Republic of Clogher
Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
I liked it when it was on but haven't had the desire to watch it again.
It actually isn't as dated as you'd imagine and, as Piddy says, The Hand Of Mann is always apparent.

Here to support the villians.......
If Michael Mann's on board then I am there.

Originally Posted by Tacitus
It actually isn't as dated as you'd imagine and, as Piddy says, The Hand Of Mann is always apparent.
I wasn't talking about whether or not it was dated, more rather that I had seen enough to suit me fine. I liked the show and watched it sometimes while it was on, but it was never anything dear to me. I doubt if I would have cared to see the film, but Piddy's speech was so impassioned, I feel that I should give it a look after all.

The Adventure Starts Here!
The clothing is dated, for sure. (Roll up yer jacket sleeves, anyone?) But I can still remember vividly the early commercials for this (then upcoming) TV series, with Phil Collins crooning, no other sound, Don Johnson in that sportscar not sayin' a word.

"I can feel it coming in the air tonight.....oh Lord...."

Those were highly effective and almost chilling commercials that made everyone want to watch this show. If any flick can capture *that* feeling in a movie, it might work. It had a dedicated core fan base, that's for sure.

Then again, probably so did CHiPS.

*koff*

We can't stop here!
Originally Posted by Piddzilla
Actually, it should work perfectly today since the 80s are back in style. Lots of people actually dress like the characters in "Miami Vice" although we used to laugh at their clothes, hairs and make up a few years ago.
Sorry, I meant tech wise and police practices. If you've ever seen an of Cops you know that Miami Vice is completely off, but of course it's a tv show. I just wann know how bad the new technology and laws are gonna affect the movie. Especially police burtality and stuff like that.