Mad Max: Fury Road

Tools    

This might just do nobody any good.
Oh I know it's not a mindless suicide, I just thought he was really jumping the gun.
That’s really the whole point though. it’s poignant because it’s really the only time he had total control of his own life.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Oh I know I thought he could stop the truck, let the guy roll off and then just drive, etc. Even if it's his first time ever being in control. But if his aim was to stop the other villains plus being more in control, then it makes more sense.

On a practical level, it causes a derailment that stops whatever was left of Immortan Joe’s war party from re-entering the citadel. On a thematic level, it shows that Nux has found something real to fight for and worth his sacrifice. It’s not a mindless suicide.
Added to that as well remember that Nux is in the late stages of fatal cancer, he can barely stand up before getting the blood transfusion from Max.

Looking at Captain Steel's summery of the original three films it does I think stand out that Fury Road feels a little like an attempt to remake Thunderdrome. The Road Warrior whilst its post apocalyptic does I think feel tied to the old society, the characters we see have experienced the fall and are now trying to survive. Thunderdrome as he says feels more like a new society rising from the ashes and Fury Road I think takes that general theme and runs with it in a more substantive way whilst staying truer to the idea of a road movie.

You do obviously have a quite significant difference in style between the originals and Fury Road as well. The latter for me feels like its actually drawing as much on something like William Friedkin's Sorcerer, beyond putting the protagonists in a big truck for most of the film I think you have a much greater focus on atmosphere to enhance the drama.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
Just finished Blood, Sweat and Chrome. What a story. Maybe everyone knew this stuff, but it is amazing. Not even the Charlize Theron / Tom Hardy stuff. This film truly is a miracle. Love this book and will definitely be gifting people copies.

A little spoiler….$2 million usd just to move all the vehicles from Australia to Africa. Why did they have to move the shoot? Nothing more than a once in never act of nature.