A Song For March (a song tourney with a difference)

Tools    

gang of four - damaged goods
Dick Dale and the Del-Tones - Misirlou
Thin Lizzy - Emerald
Alice and Chains - Love, Hate, Love
Wagner - Liebestod from Tristan und Isolde
Brody Dalle - Rat Race
Electric Light Orchestra - Last Train To London
Ennio Morricone / Christy - Run, Man Run
Rammstein - Mein Herz Brenntl
The Stranglers - Always The Sun

Nom for next round
Ryuichi Sakamoto - Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence

Dick Dale and the Del-Tones - Misirlou - It's great. We all know it.

The Stranglers - Always The Sun - I adore this song. It can bring me to tears, but today I'm in a more up mood.

Electric Light Orchestra - Last Train To London - Late 70's ELO? What's not to like?

Thin Lizzy - Emerald - A bit like Rammstein really. Any TL track I'm not familiar feels very much like another. Their sound is so distinctive but I like it.

Brody Dalle - Rat Race - First time hearing this and her. I liked it quite a bit.

Wagner - Liebestod from Tristan und Isolde - It's Wagner. So I quite like it and it goes on for a long time.

Rammstein - Mein Herz Brennt - Growly guttural German rock. I don't mind it, but much of it sounds the same to me because I don't understand the lyrics and I'm not that interested. This is one I am familiar with though, and that helps it on this list.

gang of four - damaged goods - Thought this was ok, but it felt a little long. When it finished I went to see how long the track was. I was surprised it wasn't at least a minute longer. Not a good sign.

Alice In Chains - Love, Hate, Love - I just never got on board the AIC train with the exception of Dem Bones, which is a great song.

Ennio Morricone / Christy - Run, Man Run - I hate Westerns. The music is just one reason why. TBF this isn't top rank terrible but that's almost entirely thanks to the vocals.

1. Gang Of Four - Damaged Goods
2. Alice In Chains - Love, Hate, Love
3. Rammstein - Mein Hertz Brennt
4. Electric Light Orchestra - Last Train To London
5. Thin Lizzy - Emerald
6. Ennio Morricone w/ Christy - Run, Man, Run
7. Brody Dalle - Rat Race
8. Wagner - Liebestod (from Tristan Und Isolde)
9. The Stranglers - Always The Sun
10. Dick Dale And The Del-Tones - Miserlou

Round 11 nom:
Lilium - Sleeping Inside

Weird is relative.
1. Thin Lizzy - Emerald

2. Wagner - Liebestod from Tristan und Isolde

3. Rammstein - Mein Herz Brennt

4. Ennio Morricone / Christy - Run, Man Run

5. Dick Dale and the Del-Tones - Misirlou

6. The Stranglers - Always The Sun

7. Electric Light Orchestra - Last Train To London

8. Brody Dalle - Rat Race

9. Gang of Four - Damaged Goods

10. Alice in Chains - Love, Hate, Love

I didn't dislike anything in this round. The last two have a nice sound, I just wasn't feeling the lyrics.

Round 11:
Liza Minnelli - Maybe This Time

@MijaFrost, I'll be using this link for Liza as your one is not available where I am - is that ok with you?

Rammstein - Mein Herz Brennt
Alice and Chains - Love, Hate, Love
Electric Light Orchestra - Last Train To London
Brody Dalle - Rat Race
Ennio Morricone / Christy - Run, Man Run
Dick Dale and the Del-Tones - Misirlou
Thin Lizzy - Emerald
The Stranglers - Always The Sun
gang of four - damaged goods
Wagner - Liebestod from Tristan und Isolde

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Sorry about the link, played ok for me here which is all I can ever tell I'm afraid (I don't use vpn's). More than likely copyright reasons as mentioned by Mija. Glad you enjoyed it, that meshing of sound and vocals is perfect isn't it. Group was started by two ex-members of Megaherz (who came into being the year before Rammstein started) which is another group you might enjoy checking out.
easy enough fix, no worries at all. Like I said, it was more out of curiosity than inconvenience and I'll be looking into Rammstein, THANKS

Weird is relative.
@MijaFrost, I'll be using this link for Liza as your one is not available where I am - is that ok with you?
My link is a different recording than what's on the Cabaret soundtrack, but I looked and couldn't seem to find another upload of the correct version, so I guess that one will have to do.

My link is a different recording than what's on the Cabaret soundtrack, but I looked and couldn't seem to find another upload of the correct version, so I guess that one will have to do.
Sorry that your preferred version doesn't appear to play here

I moved temporarily to Canada to listen it (with VPN obviously)
VPN's screw up something else I do daily so I don't use them.

Weird is relative.
It's alright. Of course I first heard her sing that in Cabaret anyway.
@Chypmunk

1. Thin Lizzy - Emerald
(This 70's classic rock sound is what I'm always going to gravitate toward the most. I've heard "Boys Are Back in Town" and "Jailbreak" countless times over the years, but have never really dived into Thin Lizzy's catalogue. This might be the best song I've heard from them.)

2. Brody Dalle - Rat Race
(Simplistic, but that doesn't have to be a bad thing. Gives me strong Joan Jett vibes. Catchy and spunky. This chick is the former lead singer of The Distillers, for anyone who remembers that group.)

3. Ennio Morricone / Christy - Run, Man, Run
(Beautiful, dramatic, and a reminder that it's been way too long since I last watched a spaghetti western.)

4. Rammstein - Mein Herz Brennt
(Rammstein is one of those bands I've heard about a lot over the years but have very little experience actually listening to their music. I was really digging this at first but it went on a bit too long and started to lose me. Still enjoyable, though.)

5. Dick Dale and the Del-Tones - Misirlou
(The linked video wouldn't work for me. Listened to two different versions, one was supposedly the "original" and the other is the more familiar (and superior) version used in Pulp Fiction. Assuming the latter was the same version nominated. Being associated with my favorite movie helps, but I think I'd enjoy this tune regardless.)

6. Alice in Chains - Love, Hate, Love
(On a different day this might rank much higher, but I'm just not at all in the mood for slow grunge at the moment. Good song, though, and I'm a fan of Alice in Chains.)

7. Electric Light Orchestra - Last Train to London
(Wish my ear was trained enough to parse out the musical elements I liked and disliked, but it's not, so I'll just say that this song was a mixed bag for me.)

8. Gang of Four - Damaged Goods
(Reminds me a lot of The Clash. That's more of a bad thing than a good thing.)

9. The Stranglers - Always the Sun
(Another video that didn't work for me. Hopefully I listened to the right version. Thought this was good background music, nothing more.)

10. Wagner - Liebestod from Tristan und Isolde
(Listening to this while trying to pay attention to the NCAA tournament makes for a weird combo.)

How many rounds are you planning, @Chypmunk?
14 in total and then it's the Final Cap.

I've quite enjoyed running this as a tournament idea so would like to do it again sometime but am open to tweaking it slightly if people think 14 songs in the Final is perhaps pushing the envelope a touch too far?

Weird is relative.
Will we be ranking from most to least liked in the Final as well?
@Chypmunk

Honestly this has been a great diversion for me in my spare time/a good way to discover new music, so I'd be open to participating in a month-long round again anytime soon.