The Spooktacular Groove Tournament

Tools    

ROUND 1
DAY 4

David Bowie - Scary Monsters (And Super Creeps) vs Prince and the Revolution - I Would Die 4 U
It's not Bowie at his finest but still easy enough for me to side against a Prince song that I really don't care much for

Deerhunter - Vox Humana vs The Eagles - Witchy Woman
Love Deerhunter but have to vote against mine own in favour of a classic Eagles track here

Francis Haines - "Return of the Living Dead" Theme vs Walpyrgus - Somewhere Under Summerwind
I'm just not really much of one for themed/scored music in isolation tbh

Coven - Wicked Woman vs Venom - Cry Wolf
Simple choice for me

Bauhaus - Terror Couple Kill Colonel vs Type O Negative - Black No. 1
Tough one - big Type O fan but also love early Bauhaus, will give mine own some love as I fully expect it to go out

Slayer - Dead Skin Mask vs Ramones - Pet Sematary
Easy enough choice for me

Agent Side Grinder - Last Rites vs Tricky - Pumpkin
Horrid match-up - love both

Tindersticks - El Diablo En El Ojo vs Golden Earring - Twilight Zone
Easy enough match-up for me

Round 1 | Day 4

David Bowie - Scary Monsters (And Super Creeps) vs Prince and the Revolution - I Would Die 4 U
Two solid songs, but I love Bowie so this is no contest for me.

At the very start of "Voc Humana", am I the only one who expected "Be My Baby" by the Ronettes to play?

Francis Haines - "Return of the Living Dead" Theme vs Walpyrgus - Somewhere Under Summerwind
Walpyrgus reminds me of the music I listened to in the late 90s/early 2000s, though apparently they didn't form until well after then.

The second song is just not a style I particularly like.

I quite like both of these songs and could happily vote for either.

Does anyone else occasionally browse the Youtube comments to these songs? An amusing one from the Slayer video is "This sh*ts so heavy I got swole just from listening" haha. "Dead Skin Mask" is pretty good, but I've had "Pet Sematary" stuck in my head on and off since I saw the trailer for the Pet Sematary remake the other day.

"Last Rites" sounded strangely familiar, but I don't think I've ever heard it before. "Pumpkin" was alright, but it's not really my speed.

"El Diablo En El Ojo" is another strangely familiar song that I don't think I've come across before. I quite liked it, but again it's a bit slow for my tastes.

WORK IN PROGRESS I always forget to remove these

ROUND 1 - DAY 4

Not that hyped about either.

Deerhunter is hauntingly depressing and pretty good tune. The other is fine too but just not enough.

I don't usually like soundtrack stuff without the film. Walpyrgus is one of the best new old school metal bands and I really love their lyrics (good stories and clever writing).

I like Coven a lot but Venom is a special band for me. It's the first band ever I've been a fan of and for years they were the greatest band of all for me. Obviously now I'm aware of their shortcomings but they still knew how to write a damn catchy tunes.

Type O Negative has some good songs and this is one of them. Never quite got Bauhaus myself.

Speaking about bands I've never got Ramones is on that (long) list as well. Dead Skin Mask is one of the great serial killer songs from Slayer.

Hmm... Both are kinda nice but also kinda boring. Maybe slight advantage to the first.

Didn't like either too much. First is like a lullaby and I'm not planing to sleep just yet so I vote the second.

ROUND 1 - DAY 4

(Two of my all-time favorite artists. I was literally just listening to Prince before I got online. Gonna vote for the Bowie track since it fits the theme of the tournament, even though I think it's the inferior song.)

(I rarely like songs that feature mumbled, muffled vocals, so that was an immediate strike against "Vox Humana." "Witchy Woman" is one of my favorite songs from The Eagles. Don't know why whoever nominated them picked this live version that isn't even spelled correctly on YouTube, but I'm not going to hold that against the song.)

(I'm with the others that don't tend to listen to or fully appreciate movie themes when isolated outside of the film. I like the music in "Somewhere Under Summerwind," but I wish the vocals were harsher since the singer's voice sounds more befitting of a tween band.)

(I really like "Cry Wolf," especially its raw, punk-like attitude, and I would've voted for it over plenty of other songs that have been nominated, but "Wicked Woman" is just too much of a goliath.)

(Bauhaus is one of those groups I respect more than I like, although this is a solid track. I used to dislike "Black No. 1," maybe because of the Dracula-like enunciation with some of the lyrics, but I've come to love the song after recently listening to it again. Plus I've always had a fetish for gothic chicks, and this song is basically their anthem.)

(Like both, but the Slayer track is on a different level.)

(Enjoyed the haunting quality of the first. "Pumpkin" seemed to last an eternity. I'd say it's easily my least favorite song I've heard in this tournament.)

(Man, that's two boring ass listens back to back with "Pumpkin" and now this Tindersticks song. I'm lucky I didn't slip into a coma. At least "Twilight Zone" is a great song, making this an easy choice. Love when this song comes on the radio when driving at night.)

R1D4

David Bowie - Scary Monsters (And Super Creeps)*
jojo reference incoming. I dont really dig that prince track.

Deerhunter - Vox Humana
Hmmm... Eagle just not meah

Walpyrgus - Somewhere Under Summerwind
Feel so standard to me but more likely

Venom - Cry Wolf
Nice match. Somehow im on the mood for these venom

Bauhaus - Terror Couple Kill Colonel*
Second song is quiet nice too. It just dont really grip me with that vocal

Slayer - Dead Skin Mask*
i dont want to acknowledge that version of ramones. Slayer definitely slay them this occasion

Tricky - Pumpkin
Way more interesting than the first one.

Tindersticks - El Diablo En El Ojo*
Tindersticks is fine. Idk i probably bored out with the typical 80s jam for that twilight zone song

I should get my votes in for DAY 4 later on today
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

(I rarely like songs that feature mumbled, muffled vocals, so that was an immediate strike against "Vox Humana." "Witchy Woman" is one of my favorite songs from The Eagles. Don't know why whoever nominated them picked this live version that isn't even spelled correctly on YouTube, but I'm not going to hold that against the song.)
I nominated The Eagles.
It's very hard to find the actual songs by them on YouTube, particularly that song. So, I went with the live version, which doesn't sound all that bad either.

ROUND 1 DAY 4

David Bowie - Scary Monsters (And Super Creeps)
vs Prince and the Revolution - I Would Die 4 U
Two great songs. The first one fits the theme more though

See how high she fliiiiiies

I prefer the song over the theme music

Both were kinda kickass

Second was more captivating

Both were kickass. Tough match!

The first was more kickass

I've always loved Twilight Zone

ROUND 1
Day 4

Easy choice.

Tough one, but I love Coven a bit more.

Ha! Almost picked this song for the last tournament. Love it.

I like early Slayer.

I liked Agent Side Grinder, but I love Pumpkin...Alison Goldfrapp man....

I liked the first but I felt like something a bit faster.

ROUND 1

SURVIVORS

DAY 1
Heathen Apostles - Death's Head
Michael Jackson - Workin' Day and Night
Kajagoogoo - Too Shy
Tau Cross - Hangman's Hyll
Peeping Tom - Mojo (Feat. Rahzel & Dan The Automator)
The Jacksons - Torture
Oingo Boingo - Weird Science
Tonbruket - Trackpounder

DAY 2
The Devil's Blood - Christ or Cocaine
Marilyn Manson - Tourniquet
Babymetal - Gimme Chocolate 6
White Zombie - Grindhouse (A Go-Go)
Horrorpops - Walk Like A Zombie
Tarot - Things That Crawl at Night
Swans - A Hanging
The Dead Brothers - Death Blues

DAY 3
Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds - THe Man Who Stole the Moon
Nancy Sinatra - Bang Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down)
Blue October - The End
Funkadelic - Hit It and Quit It
Bruce Springsteen - Dancing in the Dark
Hellcat & the Prowl - Betty Bones
Paul McCartney - Despite Repeated Warnings
Gackt - Lu:na

DAY 4
David Bowie - Scary Monsters (And Super Creeps)
The Eagles - Witchy Woman
Walpyrgus - Somewhere Under Summerwind
Coven - Wicked Woman
Type O Negative - Black No. 1
Slayer - Dead Skin Mask
Agent Side Grinder - Last Rites
Golden Earring - Twilight Zone

Round 2 | Day 1

Agent Side Grinder - Last Rites vs Marilyn Manson - Tourniquet
I had to think about this one for awhile. If this were a different Marilyn Manson song he'd probably get my vote.

Heathen Apostles - Death's Head vs Oingo Boingo - Weird Science
It is never not a good time to listen to "Weird Science". The song just instantly puts me in a good mood and it will forever get my vote.

Gackt - Lu:na vs Swans - A Hanging
I did find the older release of Lu:na that I used to listen to. Here is a link if anyone cared to listen. It's the music/instruments that sound different. I vastly prefer the older version even though it's not a drastic change. Regardless, I still like this newer one better than its competition this round.

Paul McCartney - Despite Repeated Warnings vs Tarot - Things That Crawl at Night
I don't have anything new to say about either song.

Michael Jackson - Workin' Day and Night vs The Dead Brothers - Death Blues
Nothing new here either.

Tonbruket - Trackpounder vs Tau Cross - Hangman's Hyll
I was lukewarm on it the first time around, but there is something strangely compelling about the vocals in "Hangman's Hyll". I'm into it.

Bruce Springsteen - Dancing in the Dark vs The Devil's Blood - Christ or Cocaine
Listening to "Christ or Cocaine" again, I like it even more than I did the first time. I voted for it over my own nomination in Round 1, but nostalgia is a powerful beast to be up against.

The Jacksons - Torture vs Nancy Sinatra - Bang Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down)
I quite like "Torture" (there's a quote to take out of context), but Nancy Sinatra's version of "Bang Bang" is beautiful.

ROUND 2 - DAY 1

Not much comments this time.

Paul McCartney - Despite Repeated Warnings vs Tarot - Things That Crawl at Night

Bruce Springsteen - Dancing in the Dark vs The Devil's Blood - Christ or Cocaine

I have a hunch Nancy wins this tournament.

R2D1

Marilyn Manson - Tourniquet

Heathen Apostles - Death's Head

Gackt - Lu:na

Tarot - Things That Crawl at Night

Michael Jackson - Workin' Day and Night

Tonbruket - Trackpounder

The Devil's Blood - Christ or Cocaine

Nancy Sinatra - Bang Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down)

@CosmicRunaway
Song version that I posted is a re-release as soundtrack for an anime that come later . Guess just slightly different especially the mid track

ROUND 2
DAY 1

Today I shall mainly lean to the right...

ROUND 2 - DAY 1

(I'm glad that mojo explained the meaning behind "Despite Repeated Warnings," which seems blatantly obvious now that's he pointed it out. I liked "Things That Crawl at Night" the first time I heard it, but it's already grown on me considerably, and it's more my style than Sir Paul.)

("Hangman's Hyll" is my favorite discovery of this tournament. I'll definitely be listening to more stuff from Tau Cross in the near future.)

(Hate to vote against "Torture," since that's another cool discovery, and that music video is a fun watch, but I think Nancy's going to be crowned the champion of this tournament.)

ROUND 2
Day 1

Prefer the second just a touch.

I like both songs, but have a bigger affinity for Oingo Boingo.

This wouldn't have been my pick if I were to play Tonbruket out of my own choice in a tourney. They're quite...unusual. Out of the ashes of EST after Esbjörn Svensson (RIP) died, and they couldn't be more different.

Tough one.