The Spooktacular Groove Tournament

Tools    

Oingo Boingo - Weird Science vs Alice Cooper - (He's Back) The Man Behind the Mask
Even though both of these are my nominations, this isn't even remotely close. "Weird Science" is a song that is almost always stuck in my head. I unashamedly love Oingo Boingo.
It's hard to dismiss Oingo Boingo. For me it's because they are monster musicians and always creative, even if a lot of their stuff borders or totally nosedives into silly and cheesy. Bartek is a force of nature with his phrasing on guitar (that explaisn why Elfman has him conduct his film scores)

R1D1

L'Arc~en~Ciel - Drink it down - this just no match for me

Michael Jackson - Workin' Day and Night - guess im just not really into banjo country fit with horror something like that

XTC - The Ballad of Peter Pumpkinhead - nice match, first really catchy but the 2nd got better allegory

Tau Cross - Hangman's Hyll - my mood is for the 2nd

Peeping Tom - Mojo (Feat. Rahzel & Dan The Automator) - not really into the both

Queens of the Stone Age - Turnin' on the Screw*- never really interested with the stone age but this is a good one

Oingo Boingo - Weird Science*- not really

Shinsei Kamattechan - yugure no tori*- well, the 2nd isnt bad either

For our mofos that feel familiar with kamattechan's, im not really sure myself if this rip off or has uncanny resemblance with other song, but probably u guys also had heard it from attack on titan season 2 ED.

Hey there @cat_sidhe- I don't really understand how these mofo tournaments work. So I may be jumping the gun by posting a song without registering or signing in first: but I couldn't resist sharing this moldy golden oldiie. And if I've disregarded protocol here, when the song is done, you can simply
make my post disappear like the Invisible Man, or Dracula facing a string of garlic bulbs. Meanwhile- I hope this gives you ghoulish delight.

For our mofos that feel familiar with kamattechan's, im not really sure myself if this rip off or has uncanny resemblance with other song, but probably u guys also had heard it from attack on titan season 2 ED.
I don't watch Attack on Titan. My room mates do, but not at a volume where I'd hear it.

I don't watch Attack on Titan. My room mates do, but not at a volume where I'd hear it.
it's still a mystery then xD
a chance your room mate sneak his headphone when you were sleep cosmic ?

ROUND 1
DAY 1

Heathen Apostles - Death's Head vs L'Arc~en~Ciel - Drink it down
Not that much in it which surprised me a little

Michael Jackson - Workin' Day and Night vs Graveyard Train - Bit by a Dog
Second was alright but I do have a soft spot for that particular MJ album

Kajagoogoo - Too Shy vs XTC - The Ballad of Peter Pumpkinhead
Best thing Limahl ever did imo and I struggle with XTC outside of some of their earlier chart stuff

Schoolyard Heroes - Cemetery Girls vs Tau Cross - Hangman's Hyll
Like both, preference is for mine own though

Rob Zombie - Dragula vs Peeping Tom - Mojo (Feat. Rahzel & Dan The Automator)
Second's simply far fresher and Dragula's a bit played out for me

Queens of the Stone Age - Turnin' on the Screw vs The Jacksons - Torture
Decent Jacksons track - easy enough choice this time

Oingo Boingo - Weird Science vs Alice Cooper - (He's Back) The Man Behind the Mask
Love Alice but that's not one of his better tracks imo

Shinsei Kamattechan - yugure no tori vs Tonbruket - Trackpounder
The second grew on me and gets my vote here

Round 1 - Day 1

(I'm really into the Gothic Americana sound of Heathen Apostles. Listening to "Death's Head" is like wandering into a western frontier town that's been overrun with demons and witches. A hillbilly baptismal with Lucifer at the helm. The second song, "Drink It Down," sounded too cacophonous for me, like the music's piled on top of itself and is suffocating the song as result; plus the vocals were a tad annoying.)

(Love MJ and that's a very good song, but I gotta go with the drunken ode to lycanthropy. Down a frosty beverage and howl at the moon. No silver bullets allowed in this tavern.)

(It's all about the chorus in "Too Shy." Anytime I hear it, I find myself randomly singing it throughout the day, often against my will. That bass is deservedly iconic as well. "The Ballad of Peter Pumpkinhead" is a pleasant listen, but nothing about it stands out to me.)

(Good match-up. I have a soft spot for female rockers, and I like the fun energy of "Cemetery Girls," even if the song sounds overly familiar despite never having heard it before. I could immediately tell that "Hangman's Hyll" featured greater musicianship, but I felt that the vocals were holding the song back. That opinion changed around the halfway mark when the vocals became harsher and raspier, which better suited the emotion of the song. Kick-ass track. Listened to it twice. Perfect soundtrack for any last stands on the battlefield.)

(Love Rob Zombie, love "Dragula," love the album on which it appears. The second song was just okay for me. Despite being somewhat of a stoner, I've never been that into stoner-type songs.)

(Like seemingly every Queens of the Stone Age song I hear, I find "Turnin' on the Screw" sonically interesting without actually enjoying the song all that much. Don't think I've ever heard "Torture" before but I really dug it. Catchy and atmospheric. That music video is certainly "spooktacular.")

(Thought I was going to hate "Weird Science," but I ended up really enjoying it. Love Alice Cooper, and the Jason connection is fun, but lyrically and musically it sounds like he spent about two minutes on this song.)

(Both are creepy, but the first song genuinely unnerved me. I have no idea what she's saying, and the melodic, lullaby-like vocals and the sunny music video don't really speak to the demonic undertones this song gave me. Need to put these lyrics into a translator because I'm pretty sure this chick just sang about wanting to boil my innards and rape my soul.)

ROUND 1 DAY 1

As far as spookiness goes, the first wins in a landslide. Good song, too

Workin' Day and Night is not a spooky song. At least not until it was featured in the Making of Thriller and it became synonymous with Thriller. One of MJ's coolest jams

I like Too Shy, but the second I've never heard before and I really liked.

They both sound good, but the first is sung by a girl, and I dig it

Rob Zombie needs to win this tourney. Especially with a kickass song like Dragula. There, I said it

The video to Torture used to creep me out when I was young, especially the part with the eye in the hand. Great song, too

Both songs are so good in a cheesy 80's way. The second is far more superior when it comes to spookiness to Weird Science, which is just funny

The second was more elusive.
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

I've had "Devil Woman" stuck in my head since watching I, Tonya a few weeks ago. Surprised it had won a tournament, but there's been approximately 500 of those things now, so who can keep up anymore?

Oh well. Replace it with Marilyn Manson - Tourniquet

I've had "Devil Woman" stuck in my head since watching I, Tonya a few weeks ago. Surprised it had won a tournament, but there's been approximately 500 of those things now, so who can keep up anymore?

Oh well. Replace it with Marilyn Manson - Tourniquet
Done!

ROUND 1
Day 2

The Devil's Blood - Christ or Cocaine
vs Harriers of Discord - You're Dead
Tough one, I liked both. The second (love the movie btw) just got a bit repetitive towards the end. I can handle repetitive, but it depends on what it is. Here it got a bit long in the tooth. The first quite cock rocky. But I'm drinking wine so it went down a little smoother. Wish I had a pool cue. I would put balls in holes and play cue guitar! **** YAAAAAAAAAAAAAS!

Marilyn Manson - Tourniquet vs Cradle of Filth - A Gothic Romance
Ooooh double whammy! Like a bit o' Marilyn, pretty much hate Cradle of Filth.

Babymetal - Gimme Chocolate vs The Monkees - Heart and Soul
Guys, I still can't handle Babymetal! It's all good until the singing comes in and then there's not enough acid in the world that can make me think that's ok. .

I do like that Monkees song though.

Kasabian - Put Your Life On It vs White Zombie - Grindhouse (A Go-Go)
First was ok. Second wouldn't have been my pick for a White Zombie song, but hey, ipod chose. I honoured that ****. I prefer my ipod random choice here.

Horrorpops - Walk Like A Zombie vs Ninja Sex Party - Crasher-Vania
I did enjoy the second, but I loved the first.

Tarot - Things That Crawl at Night vs The Residents - constantinople
I love love LOOOOVE creepy assed The Residents. Like I said, I've seen them live. They make me sick to my stomach.

Warfare - Baron Frankenstein vs Swans - A Hanging
****yeah SWAAANNNNS....nothing's more wrist-slittingly depressing as Swans.
I BOW DOWN!

L'Arc~en~Ciel - Shinshoku 『lose control』 vs The Dead Brothers - Death Blues
I can't really get into this L'Arc~en~Ciel thing. I've tried, though. The second is definitely more my kind of thing.

ROUND 1 - DAY 2

The Devil's Blood - Christ or Cocaine vs Harriers of Discord - You're Dead
Personally I'm not into either Christ or cocaine but the song is definitely better of these two. The second one was pretty boring.

Cliff Richard - Devil Woman Marilyn Manson - Tourniquet vs Cradle of Filth - A Gothic Romance
Devil Woman is OK but I'd rather give my roses to Devil's whore. A Gothic Romance is perhaps the best song on perhaps the best album so for me it's an automatic choice. The change changes nothing, Tourniquet is pretty good song but there's no song in this tournament I'd vote over this CoF.

I love Babymetal. It's one of the few cheerful music acts I listen to. The Monkees isn't my cup of tea and I'd prefer chocolate anyway (this is a lie, btw, but it felt like a good pun).

Didn't like either. First one tries to put me to sleep and other is just kinda annoying with its Hetfield imitation.

Horrorpops - Walk Like A Zombie vs Ninja Sex Party - Crasher-Vania
Another weak pair. The latter had some decent jokes and it didn't last too long.

I have no idea what the second was so I'll play it safe and go with my own nomination. Tarot's song goes on for little too long but otherwise it's really good.

While Baron Frankenstein isn't the best song of the album (there's the whole album on Youtube but very few individual songs so I had to go with it) it's immensely better than the competition which was super dull.

First was alright. Some male rock vocals in Japanese sound somehow odd to me and this is one of them (no idea why exactly or why I don't have this issue with female vocalists). The second one was ruined by just traditionally terrible vocals.

It didn't occur to me until just now, but "Crasher-Vania" is technically by Starbomb and not Ninja Sex Party, but Starbomb is just the two members of NSP + one other person, so, it's not that big a deal haha.

Round 1 | Day 2

The Devil's Blood - Christ or Cocaine vs Harriers of Discord - You're Dead
I like What We Do in the Shadows a lot, but I'm not really a fan of that song on its own. I wouldn't have nominated it if it wasn't associated with the film, and honestly I really only went with it as a last minute replacement for another song.

Marilyn Manson - Tourniquet vs Cradle of Filth - A Gothic Romance
I've never really been into Cradle of Filth. They had one song I kind of liked, but I don't remember what it was called. "Tourniquet" is not my favourite Marilyn Manson song but it easily gets my vote here.

I kind of love whoever these Babymetal people are. At first I was like, no no no, please just dance and not say anything, but I like the actual singing parts. It's a bit repetitive, but I dig it. They stole the vote away from the Monkees.

The first one is alright, but a little slow. Like most White Zombie songs, I really like the music but not the vocals in "Grindhosue (A Go-Go)".

Horrorpops - Walk Like A Zombie vs Ninja Sex Party/Starbomb - Crasher-Vania
I don't expect a comedy song about Castlevania to go over that well, but I think it's a lot of fun, and I always get the choruses stuck in my head. I like the melody for "Walk Like A Zombie", but I'm not a huge fan of female vocalists, so it's not really my cup of tea. MEDUSA YOU SHE-BITCH, I'LL SEE YOU IN HELL.

"Things That Crawl at Night" felt like it was building up to something else...but it never really got there. I liked it well enough anyway though. Unfortunately I found the second one a bit grating and ended up turning the volume down quite low. I vastly prefer the They Might be Giants song with a similar name.

Is "A Hanging" a cover, or was it covered by someone else? The lyrics seemed very familiar but I've not heard that song before. It's a bit too repetitive for me.

This is one of the L'Arc~en~Ciel songs I know! The verses are not the best, but overall I quite like it. I was tapping my foot along to the beat of "Death Blues", so even though it's not really my style, it did get me moving haha.