MOFO 80's Teen Movie Hall of Fame

Tools    

Am I the only one left that hasn't submitted text for each movie? Holding up the game?
There's several people who haven't yet. I was just this moment updating the review links...see my next post.

IMPORTANT 80s Teen HoF Information

@edarsenal @gbgoodies @Joel @MovieGal @Rhys @Siddon @TheUsualSuspect @ynwtf

The deadline to get your voting list in is midnight Jan 31st.

Send me your voting list and I will calculate the results.

This is where we stand so far. Please check to see if this is accurate.

Citizen Rules Voting list sent in
Crossroads
Three O'Clock High
Can't Buy Me Love
Lucas
Once Bitten
Better Off Dead
Say Anything
Teen Wolf
Akira
My Bodyguard
Weird Science (optional movie)
Stand By Me
Grease 2

Edarsenal 10/12
Akira
Stand By Me
Better Off Dead
Say Anything
Crossroads
Once Bitten
Three O'Clock High
My Bodyguard
Grease 2
Teen Wolf

GBG 8/12
Can't Buy Me Love
Better Off Dead
Say Anything
Crossroads
Teen Wolf
Once Bitten
Akira
Grease 2

Joel 12/12
All Movies here

MovieGal 12/12
Once Bitten
Can't Buy Me Love
Better Off Dead
Crossroads
Teen Wolf
My Bodyguard
Stand By Me
Say Anything
Three O'Clock High
Grease 2
Akira
Lucas

Rhys 11/12
My Bodyguard
Can't Buy Me Love
Once Bitten
Crossroads
Three O'Clock High
Akira
Say Anything
Stand By Me
Better Off Dead
Teen Wolf
Lucas

Siddon Voting list sent in
Grease 2
Can't Buy Me Love
Teen Wolf
Say Anything
Stand By Me
Better Off Dead
Once Bitten
My Bodyguard
Crossroads
Three O'Clock High
Akira

Usual Suspect 10/12
Once Bitten
Stand By Me
Better Off Dead
Three O'Clock High
Can't Buy Me Love
Grease 2
Say Anything
Akira
My Bodyguard
Lucas

Ynwtf 7/12
Better Off Dead
Three O'Clock High
Stand By Me
Once Bitten
Teen Wolf
My Bodyguard
Crossroads

These members have dropped out and their movies removed from the HoF. So if you haven't watch them yet, you don't have to.

Sedai - Stand By Me
Smudge - Lucas
Velvet - Can't Buy Me Love

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
as always, above and beyond the call of duty, @Citizen Rules, BRAVO sir!

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I'm sorry to hear that, gb. Hope your mom will get better soon. The same with the bunny. I can imagine it's hard time for you and your family.
Obviously real life takes precedence over MOFO. No one will judge you on that. Is it impossible to take the bunny cross state? Have a trusted friend take care of bunny?
Truly sorry to hear about your mom and your bunny and wish them both the very best.

Take sweet care, gbg!!
Mojo your way GBG/

Thank you all for your kind thoughts. The past few weeks have been bad, and it could continue for a while. I'm just doing my best to get through it.

@TheUsualSuspect, Unfortunately, I'm in New York, and my mom is in Florida, so there's no easy way to be in both places at the same time. I've been trying to find a way to leave the bunny with someone, but she won't take her meds from anyone but me. Hubby's been trying to give her the meds, but she fights him terribly, and acts like he's torturing her. Her vet can't board her because they're not staffed 24/7, so there's nobody there at night and on weekends to give her the meds.

MovieGal said the deadline was at the end of January...that's ONLY a week away, today is Jan 23rd...how's everyone doing?

@MovieGal you still with us? You haven't posted here lately are you getting any voting list in?

I'll try to get back online to post the rest of my write-ups, but I might not get back online before the deadline, so I sent in my list to @Citizen Rules tonight.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Teen Wolf

I think this movie is great. It hits the nostalgia hard.

Fox is great, as he usually is and his turn into a wolf is a lot of fun. He has 'it', charisma and makes material that some might find lacking, elevated in a sense. His friend is a weak spot for me though.

The make-up is bad, but in a comical way which makes it forgivable. Are people freaked out by this? Apparently not, what world are these people living in? One where a TEEN WOLF surfs a van and people cheer for him.

Full of 80's Teen cheese, I felt like this one nails the HoF guidelines more so than the out of the box suggestions like Stand By Me or Akira. Is it the best 80's teen movie? No. Is it my favourite? Of course not. It's one that I thought people could sit back relax and enjoy the absurdity.

Suspect's Reviews

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Grease 2

I will admit right up front that I have never really cared for musicals with the exceptions of The Music Man. Grease (the first one) falls into a weird little pocket of movies that I never seek out, but if I stumble upon them, then I won't change the channel either. Unfortunately, Grease 2 falls more into accidental camp for my tastes.

There are a few nice scenes scattered around, like the classroom scene in which the teacher is trying to explain procreation and of course the boys are all being the typical teenage smart asses. I enjoyed the pacing there, and how characters were speaking through each other, leading up to the musical number. This, to me, felt very natural as to how kids might try to interrupt each other (and the teacher) to one-up each other's jokes. Just the rest of the movie felt forced. For example, Michelle Pfeiffer appears incredibly uncomfortable and out of place. Often, I thought I saw her trying to act through her scenes and musical numbers which kind of betrayed the camp of the movie to me. Her singing and dancing felt very stiff, most apparent in her solo song, "Cool Rider," as she repeated the final squat-squat, step, exit from the school and on down the street as the scene lingers for much too long before fading out. I cannot imagine how those few seconds must have felt like three eternities during filming.

I must confess though, that I loved the introduction. Kids driving in for the first day of school. The T-Birds, the Pink Ladies, and OH MY GOSH, Frenchy is back! hearing the principal's toy xylophone announcements made me smile again, settling back to get comfortable with at least a few returning cast and characters to help me through this transition. Sadly, no. They were only nods, few and far between. Even Crater-Face offered only a brief nostalgic smirk before being relegated to a static prop, holding a bike upright for the current teenage biker protagonist to knock down. I felt Grease gave is a real sense of tension between the two competing gangs, what with the car chase and few cat-and-mouse encounters. A couple of ramp jumps and bike's sliding out from under slow-moving stuntmen just didn't compare.

In preparation for this movie I thought I had not seen it. Funny though, I remembered maybe half of the songs. Up until now, I thought "Love Will Turn Back the Hands Time" was just a dream. No, that actually happened and I apparently repressed it!

I can't say that I enjoyed Grease 2. I can appreciate it, I suppose, but for me to enjoy something like this I will need the support of a few friends and a few several beers.

(sorry Citizen!)

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Crossroads

This movie looked the least interesting to me and I was surprised by how invested I was early on.

Eugene is a "prodigy" when it comes to playing the guitar. He's training for classical music, but he feels like the blues is more in his blood. He tracks down the legendary Willie Brown in the hopes of learning and recording the "lost" song from so long ago. Johnson has a different idea, help him break out of the nursing home and they will take a road trip down south. Along the way Johnson teaches Eugene how he's not black enough, not poor enough, too privileged and hasn't faced enough discrimination to be a true blues player. Are these life lessons or the rantings and ravings of an old man who might have taken advantage of a young boy to get him where he needs to go.

The duo play well off each other and when Jami Gurtz enters the picture, it takes the film to new directions. All 3 seem to have great chemistry and she acts at the catalyst for Eugene to enter his "blues" state.

The film takes an odd turn when it becomes a little bit more supernatural. The Devil is actually a character here and selling your soul isn't a metaphor, you're actually selling your soul. It's a bold move for a road film to all of a sudden change genres towards the end, but it works in my opinion.

I liked that they show him playing the guitar where most movies these days would try and hide it. It made it more believable.

ONLY 3 DAYS LEFT TO VOTE!

I still need voting list sent to me by:
@MovieGal @Rhys @ynwtf @Joel

Please, please, pretty please send them

I'll get mine to you as soon as possible! Definitely by the deadline.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Made my list, just want to sit on it for the day and reflect. Will submit tonight.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear