"Getting To Know You" Song Tournament

Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
The "Getting To Know You" Song Tournament

DO NOT POST YOUR NOMINATIONS IN THIS THREAD YET! If most people agree, it might be fun to keep the nominations private, and we could try to guess who nominated what songs, but we'll discuss this idea in this thread and see what everyone thinks about this idea.

Due to the nature of this tournament, it will probably take longer than normal to decide on your nominations, so this thread is being opened early, but the actual tournament won't start for probably about a week from today. (If someone can contact Swan and let him know about it, I think he was interested, and I'd like him to have a chance to join it if he wants to.)

We will probably need at least eight (8) nominations from everyone, but we won't know the exact number until we see how many people join, so have some extra nominations ready just in case we need them.

As I posted in the previous thread, the idea behind this "Getting To Know You" Song Tournament is that each of the nominated songs has to somehow be about the person who nominated it.

For example, if you're a girl with brown eyes, you could nominate the song "Brown Eyed Girl" by Van Morrison. Or if you're basically a happy person, you could nominate something like "Happy" by Pharrell Williams. Maybe you have a special song that was played at your wedding or other special occasion. If you've gone through a breakup, you could nominate a breakup song that expresses how you felt. Or you could nominate the theme song to your favorite TV show or movie. Maybe there's even a song about someone with your name. Anything that somehow relates to the person who nominated it.

The rules will be very lenient for nominations to allow for people to express themselves. I'm not going to decide what nominations will be eligible. It will all be up to you, as the person who nominates the songs. There won't be any specific "rules" about your nominations, except that you have to think that they somehow relate to you. Just decide for yourself how it relates to you, but if someone asks you about it later, it would probably be helpful if you could tell them why or how it relates to you. The idea is to generate discussion, and hopefully we'll learn more about each other than we probably wanted to know.

It could be something personal that sounds like it could have been written about you, or something as simple as the theme song to the first movie you ever saw, or a line in the song sounds like it describes you. It's all about you, so it's all up to you. You know yourselves better than anyone. Think about yourself. Not just what you look like, but also personality traits, hobbies, favorite movies, TV shows, sports, colors, cars, pets, etc., anything you can think of. You're only limited by whatever you can think of that relates to you.

It doesn't even have to be about now. It could be about something in your past. A lost love, a broken heart, your best day, your worst experience, etc. Anything is eligible as long as it somehow relates to you.

Rules:
All genres are eligible, with no limitations on genre, themes, etc. For this tournament, we'll even allow previous tournament winners and songs that are over 10 minutes long.

Any song is allowed as long as you can provide a link to it. Everyone uses YouTube, but you can also link from DailyMotion and other sites if you prefer, as long as they don't require anyone to sign up for the site to listen to the song.

To be fair to everyone, you must listen to both songs to vote. You must vote from the beginning of the tournament to continue voting throughout the tournament. Unless a tie-breaking vote is requested, anyone who hasn't voted consistently will not be allowed to vote in the final rounds.

If you have any questions, please ask.

These are the people who have joined:
Gbgoodies
Cricket
Chypmunk
Gatsby
Mistique
Citizen Rules
Rauldc14
SilentVamp
Honeykid
Sane
Nostromo87
The Gunslinger45
Derek Vinyard
Captain Spaulding
Christine
Tugg
The Sci-Fi Slob
Sexy Celebrity

Master of My Domain
I'm sort of against the private noms. In my opinion it kind of ruins the whole purpose of this tournament. Why keep your noms a secret if you want to share your personality to other MoFos? But either way I'm in.

I'm in

I'm fine with private noms, but Gatsby got a point. We won't get to know anyone, and having to ask or guess on every single song doesn't sound that fun to me.

I'm in but need time to think of songs. I think private noms in this one case, is a good idea and of course I trust you to be fair and impartial

Is it OK once the tournament starts for all of us to guess at how the songs belong too? I would think that would be part of the fun, talking and guessing.

I'm in

I'm fine with private noms, but Gatsby got a point. We won't get to know anyone, and having to ask or guess on every single song doesn't sound that fun to me.
You know, I think I agree. Every song might not get discussed and guessing might get boring or not really necessary.

Plus I really wanna start listing my nominations and seeing what others are gonna be using.

Any firefighters in the house?????

I'm not gonna pretend to be one just to use it even if I might want to.
Maybe you still have the soul of a firefighter.

In reference to the private noms, the idea isn't to keep them secret throughout the tournament. The idea is to discuss them as soon as the songs are posted, and guess who nominated them. Once someone recognizes one of your noms, or if enough people get it wrong, (whenever you feel it's the right time), you're free to tell everyone it's your nom.

The idea of the private noms is to generate discussion, see how well we really know each other, and maybe find out some stuff that we don't know about each other.

I just thought it would be fun to keep the noms private, but if you guys want them public, that's okay too.

We all need time to come up with our noms anyway, so take a few days to discuss it in here, and see how everyone feels about it, and then we'll decide how most people want it. This is a democracy, so we can even take a vote after we discuss it.

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
I came up with over 20 songs in less than 5 minutes of jotting them down. I'll have to do some cutting.
How is that possible?! At the moment, I can barely think of 5 songs that relate to me.

This is a suggestion (though I am pretty sure it may not be a popular one ), but what if people try to guess the songs after they've not made it into the next round? If you think about it, the guessing game could still be going on with the last two nominations. By then, I suppose, it would be figured out who the nominations belong to, but it may not be so obvious which song belongs to which person - unless, of course, the final two songs belong to the same person. Like I said, just a suggestion.

How is that possible?! At the moment, I can barely think of 5 songs that relate to me.
So far, I have 3 definite songs that I want to nominate, and 2 more that I'm considering. But I'm still working my way through my mp3 player for suggestions.

This is a suggestion (though I am pretty sure it may not be a popular one ), but what if people try to guess the songs after they've not made it into the next round? If you think about it, the guessing game could still be going on with the last two nominations. By then, I suppose, it would be figured out who the nominations belong to, but it may not be so obvious which song belongs to which person - unless, of course, the final two songs belong to the same person. Like I said, just a suggestion.
That sounds like a very good idea. It would leave some suspense for the later rounds.

But the bottom line is this. I'm going to leave it up to each of you to decide when to tell everyone if they guessed right or not. Obviously I would be the only one with the full list, so I'm not going to guess, give hints, or tell anyone whether they're right or wrong. This tournament is all about YOU, so it will be your decision when to "out" your nominations.

I hate this because I can't think of what to nominate without working right here in the thread, putting them all down in a post.

I hate this because I can't think of what to nominate without working right here in the thread, putting them all down in a post.

Why don't you just make a file in a text editor like Notepad or Wordpad? That's what I'm doing, and it seems to work well.

Why don't you just make a file in a text editor like Notepad or Wordpad? That's what I'm doing, and it seems to work well.
I'm gonna do that, but I don't know what to nominate. It's kinda different. I wish I could see what everyone else was nominating.

Why not have someone completely unaffiliated with the tournament take the nominations in from people (assuming someone would be kind enough to do so) and then just pass on a full list of songs to you Gbg without saying who nominated each one?

That way you wouldn't know who had nominated what either which would mean:
(a) you could have the same fun as every other participant in guessing who nominated any particular song
(b) nobody can add two and two to make eight and accuse you of any possible bias as to pitting particular players against each other

The only potential downside I can see is that matches in round 1 could feasibly contain two songs from the same person but personally that wouldn't bother me as I adopt a 'half-full' outlook in that one is guaranteed to go through.

Just a thought.

That would be great if you can find someone who wants to take the nominations and pass them along. If that person keeps them separate, (without naming names), I can still number them the way I did in the last song tournament I ran to try to avoid people's songs going up against each other.

The nominations could even be posted in a thread (again without naming names), so that everyone could see what songs were nominated, and I could just get them from the thread.

Do you have any idea who would be willing to accept the nominations and pass them along?

The idea literally only just crossed my mind so no idea who, if anyone, might be so obliging but I guess I could always forfeit taking part and take that role myself if necessary.

I'd rather find someone who doesn't want to join the tournament. Someone that everyone will be happy sending their noms to, who wouldn't mind just passing them along.

They don't have to change anything, just copy them and paste them into a thread, (even this thread if they don't want to make a new one). Then I can just get them from there. It's not hard, just tedious. There must be someone here on MoFo who would be willing to do it.

I said to GB -- I'll collect the songs from everybody and then once they are all in, I'll send a full list of songs to GB, all mixed up so someone's song will be next to someone else's song etc. etc. -- no names will be given to GB -- and then she can use that list to make her rounds.

I don't mind knowing. I'm a spoiler addict. I can do this and still participate in the tournament.