The MoFo Top 100 Animated Films - The Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
This is more like it. Watership Down and Panique Au Village are both good films. Not that I voted for either myself, but glad to see them here. So far only one of my picks has shown up, which is fine by me because it means all the others are much higher up

My ratings:

100. All Dogs Go To Heaven

99. Surf's Up
98. A Bug's Life

97. Tarzan
(I really don't like the style of the studio, sorry!)
96. It's Such A Beautiful Day
(has some great moments, other boring ones, some parts suffered because of the low art quality/complexity, I like more complex art than the type used here, same reason why I didn't care that much for Mindgame as well).
95. Frankenweenie
94. Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
93. Garden of Words
++ (great movie, one in my top 50 list, some of the best art in animation ever)
92. The Fox and the Hound
91. Shrek 290. Anastasia
(for Anastasia, haven't watched the other)
89. Animal Farm (I need to watch this one, Miyazaki said it was good)
88. The Bugs Bunny/Road-Runner Movie (I watched this cartoon a million times but I didn't know there was a movie)
87. 101 Dalmatians
86. Paprika
Kon's more avant garde film that uses animation full potential to play with you mind and it doesn't sacrifice the complexity of art for it (compared to the movie I talked about above)
85. 5 Centimeters Per Second
(really powerful depiction of the psychology of the introverted person, such as me)
84. The Wind Rises
(should have been higher, best movie of this 25 set among those I watched, but I am a hardcore Miyazaki fanboy)
83. Mulan
(see my Tarzan comment)
82. Lilo & Stitch
(see my Tarzan comment, though this one is a little better)
81. Ponyo
(Miyazaki's worst)
80. The Emperor's New Groove
(see my Tarzan comment, is every single Disney movie showing up?)
79. Lady and the Tramp
(from the days Disney made good movies, really, the quality changed greatly over the past 70 years and the early films were way better in my opinion)
78. A Charlie Brown Christmas

77. Bolero/Evolution (from Allegro Non Troppo)
+ (really great sequence)
76. A Town Called Panic
75. Watership Down
(good but I found it slightly too melodramatic to be a masterpiece, liked Plague Dogs more)

This is a broken record, but I like both, I recommend both, but I didn't vote for either. I apparently haven't posted about Lilo and Stitch here before, but it does have one wild and crazy sense of humor. Here are my thoughts about Ponyo:
Many great movies didn't receive Oscar nomination (like most of them because most are obscure foreign stuff). However in Japan it won the prize for best animated film among the five nominated ones:

Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea
Doraemon: Nobita and the Green Giant Legend 2008
The Sky Crawlers
Detective Conan: Full Score of Fear
One Piece - The Movie: Episode of Chopper Plus: Bloom in the Winter, Miracle Sakura

The only one that could seriously compete with it was The Sky Crawlers though. Others were just mediocre manga spin-offs movies. Though I only watched The Sky Crawlers, so I would be prejudiced against the others which I don't really know.

What the f-? I expect more from you in here, Guap. Return with a bang, not a whimper.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Just don't fight with Miss Vicky. Her roommate trained her to kick ass:

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Splinter.jpg
Views:	1317
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	18823  

Lord High Filmquisitor
Yeah, it's a kids movie like Totoro but less elegant. Very different from Wind Rises which is completely different.
Less elegant, yes, but I found it much more rewarding that Totoro.

Totoro is in many ways the best film ever made. It's simply absolutely incredible masterpiece of the purest form, in many ways, the only absolute masterpiece of the entire medium of animation. It's unquestionable in greatness like Beethoven's 9th Symphony. I believe it to be the only such work in animation, at least the least flawed one.

Lord High Filmquisitor
Totoro is in many ways the best film ever made. It's simply absolutely incredible masterpiece of the purest form, in many ways, the only absolute masterpiece of the entire medium of animation. It's unquestionable in greatness like Beethoven's 9th Symphony. I believe it to be the only such work in animation, at least the least flawed one.
I respectfully disagree. I found it to be a thoroughly entertaining, but ultimately only average quality. It's probably my least favorite Miyazaki, failing to hold up against Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle and The Wind Rises especially.

I warn you: it's a kid's movie at least on the surface. It shows cute little girls playing around for 90 minutes and doesn't have a plot. In a way it's like the masterpiece of moe.

Let the night air cool you off
I adore A Town Called Panic, I voted for it with a high spot, I don't remember which though. Miss Vicky, can you send me the list I sent in?

Lord High Filmquisitor
I feel that a lot of what I liked about Totoro were better utilized in The Wind Rises, especially the imaginative interplay between the fantastical and the mundane. I loved the emotions and situations that the girls were working through, I just would have liked to see them developed further (especially with the mother).