This Year's Best Movie

Tools    

The film has to be meaningful to win, I think. Not many action films are meaningful at all. Explosions are ok, but it's no big deal. The problem with America is that all people want is a hero running away from a huge explosion, or something like that. Everything is too "Hollywood." Half the action movies that come out are all the exact same thing. That's why original films like American Beauty win. They don't try to be so "hollywood" about it. There should be a wide variety of films available to watch...not the same gun fights, car chases, and explosions that we've already seen a million times.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Personally I don't think a movie like the Matrix could win any of those awards. A nomination for best pic maybe, but actors etc. I don't think so.

I'm not advocating the selection of stereotypical action flicks for nomination - I'm advocating the selection of well done action and adventure movies - like I said: The Matrix, Indiana Jones, and Star Wars.

I don't know if meaningful ought to be a requirement - if you ask me, the dramatical movies follow similar forumlas - they just jerk your tear duckets, and people feel moved, so they don't feel "right" voting for a feel-good action flick.

I think it should be a bonus to have a special dramatical meaning - but not a requirement.

Just to add my two cents, in 2000, I really really really enjoyed Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. To talk of your atypical "action" movies, this fits the bill. I like Ang Lee's work and it was refreshing to see a martial arts epic that also had touches of real emotion and humor.

I also liked Gladiator. That's just the kind of popcorn flick they don't make anymore. Erin Brockovich and Unbreakable were good too. And I have to add one guilty pleasure ... Romeo Must Die.

Here is my take so far on the movies of 2000.

I first should start off by saying the movies of note that I havent seen. These movies are ones that I beleive have a shot at being best picture quality and they are the top of my list of must see films...
You Can Count on Me
Chocolat
Quills
Traffic
Erin Brockovich
Sunshine
Wonder Boys
Finding Forrester
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

So that being said, Here is now a list of the top films of the year.
Gladiator
High Fidelity
Billy Elliott
Shower
Best In Show
Almost Famous

The best picture of the year so far in my book would have to be Gladiator. Some things must happen for me to give any credence to the acedemy this year. Number one: Ridley Scott must win best director. Number two: Jaoquin Phoenix must win best supporting actor. An extremely well crafted and directed movie. Intelligent and well-scripted dialogue. Round whole and dynamic characters and solid acting by the entire cast. Just an amazing epic that rivals Braveheart, if not better.

welp, i have to go now, otherwise i would ramble more. but i will be back later to expand on my thoughts.
just another note.
Castaway was left off on both lists, i saw it, but it was a HORRIBLE movie. Anyone who considers themselves a film buff should be ashamed to give that movie much critical acclaim. Again, ill expand on these thoughts later.
till then...