The MoFo Top 100 of the 60s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Yea I kind of took that partially at me, but it's not an insult. For me, despite my age and all the movies I've seen, I probably only saw about 50-75 60's movies going into this thing. All the new movies I watched, I judged fairly from a fresh point of view, and nostalgia played probably no part in my final list. For every Japanese movie I loved, there was one I didn't like. For every Contempt I loved, there were 4 I didn't like. For every Hud I loved, there was a Mary Poppins I didn't like. I think I ended up with a list that has a very nice variety.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I wasn't making my comment at you but at the results so far. However, looking at your top two... HA!

Master of My Domain

Onibaba was my #23.

I rarely get scared by films anymore, but Onibaba gives me chills. It doesn't try hard to scare the audience or anything, but the knowing of who is under the dark, a mother disapproving of her daughter's relationship with a man, elevated into a terrifying misunderstanding. And a dark, oriental, and breathless night that creates a great atmosphere, and everything around it sucked out of vividness by black and white, is what makes this a classic horror. If the characters feel like they're out of touch, it's because it shows the demoralization caused by the aftermath of war. The final words from the "creature" in the mask left in my memory so strongly that it still lingers even today.

Repulsion was my #20

"Descent into madness". If I see those three words on the back of a DVD or on a article describing a film, you know you have me hooked. And Polanksi is the master of slowly leading their character's into their own demise. Most of the running time follows young woman named Carole (who is really hot in the film, all you need is a look at the pic I posted ), a manicurist who has schizophrenia. When she is left alone in her apartment, she starts to have severe hallucinations. The shadows that cover her face, making unsure what she's feeling, the surreal imagery, and overall great direction makes Repulsion a disturbing, claustrophobic film, nevertheless a true masterpiece.

ahhh yeah, I had Repulsion at #23 on my list. it's a film that snaps you into it's mood and atmosphere from the very beginning, aided substantially by Catherine Deneuve's creepy performance, and I always remember that famous last image of the film that has inspired a couple different interpretations.. it's a fun movie I always love watching near Halloween or just a dark and cloudy day. still probably my favorite Polanski that I've seen

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Where is War and Peace? [2]
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Onibaba was recommended by many, but I never got around to it because I had to stop watching movies for a time and couldn't finish up my 60s watchlist, unfortunately... But I will watch it anyways some day, it seems interesting.

I also heard a lot of talk about Repulsion, and though I see it developing into something good, I wasn't captured at all back when I tried to watch it. Watched like 30-40 minutes and shut it off because it didn't catch my interest. Might pick it up some day again though.

"Criterion Effect"
That sounds like a cool movie.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Originally Posted by Mark F
"Criterion Effect"
That sounds like a cool movie.
Get a camera and film the computer screen while visiting this website and you've got it made.

And for the retro/vintage hipster crowd:

And for the more obscure, Criterion crowd -- Judy and her 80" gong:

I just broke Daniel M's "no gong" rule.

But that's okay because people in the '60s broke all the rules.

Onibaba is a wacko film which got my attention the first time I saw it. It was so strange and unique but such a visceral experience that I didn't care if I couldn't always tell what was going on and why. It was so super-freaky that it must have been one of Rick James' favorites. I've warmed up to Repulsion over the years. At first, it seemed like it was too drawn-out for what it accomplished, and although it had some cool, disturbing scenes near the end, it just seemed too padded, meandering and unexplained. Now, I can accept the drabness as a contributing factor to the film's unique tone, and there are a few more frissons than I originally felt.

I certainly expected Repulsion to be on here, but I'm surprised overall and have to tell you the truth. I'm starting to think that not everyone has seen the movies they vote for, and even if they have, their viewing habits may be influenced by what Holden implied earlier is the "Criterion Effect". Don't take this as a personal accusation - I know many of you tried to watch a broad spectrum of '60s flicks. I'm still sitting here with 0/40. I know some of my films are going to show, but many of my best have no chance (sound familiar?)
Out of interest Mark, how many of your films do you expect to make the list?

I'll not to give anything away but what I will say to people who are a little surprised with how the list is shaping up, is to be patient, that there's plenty more to come for everyone. There seems to have been a number of different 'patches' created, I knew that from around 70 onwards we had a wave of what are now being nicknamed "criterion" choices, but I wouldn't completely rule out other movies right now. Ten movies ago Cricket thought a lot of his top five were in trouble, and I believe Onibaba and Contempt were probably included in that, but they've shown up. I know gbgoodies was worried about her top two, and Barefoot in the Park made it in there despite not being foreign or artistic. There's all sorts of different films that have received all sorts of points, I'm sitting here disappointed for people who are going to be disappointed when their film never makes it, but also with a smile for those who have already ruled out certain films when I know they're going to make it. I'm quite liking the diversity of the list so far, and the mixture of different films, it seems more unique than lists that already exist, and more of an accurate representation of the varied taste of MoFo

And with that being said, today's two entries definitely following the trend of the recent inclusions I might post entries really early this week, as I'm staying with my grandparents so normally get up earlier, and means I don't have to rush about trying to post them later in the day if I've been busy. I know it'll only be early AM hours for those in the US, but I guess it'll be nice to wake up to two new films