The MoFo Top 100 Animated Films - The Countdown

→ in
Tools    

74. Heavy Metal - Voting Stats

Total Points: 76
Part of a Numeric Tie? Yes, tied with Hercules.
5 Votes: 2nd Place (24 pts.), 5th Place (21 pts.), 8th Place (18 pts.), 15th Place (11 pts.), 24th Place (2 pts.)

73. Hercules - Voting Stats

Total Points: 76
Part of a Numeric Tie? Yes, tied with Heavy Metal but received more votes.
8 Votes: 8th Place (18 pts.), Two 11th Place (15 pts. each), 16th Place (10 pts.), Two 20th Place (6 pts. each), Two 23rd Place (3 pts. each)

Boobs, rock 'n roll, John Candy and James Woods. Fun, but no votes from me
Yeah, it wasn't so easy finding a usable animated gif for that one.

A system of cells interlinked
I had Watership Down at #7, and Heavy Metal at #8! Both are favorites from my youth.

Lord High Filmquisitor
I have never liked Hercules and identify it as the primary signifier of the end of the Disney Renaissance. I've grown to dislike it less in recent years, though, even if I can't quite identify why I dislike it so much in the first place.

I haven't seen Heavy Metal.

I like the style of Heavy Metal. It has this fragmented and free-spirited atmosphere to it that I really appreciate. The film kind of fIoats through a universe where every strange thing seems possible. My favorite part is the beginning (the story with the cab driver), because it has this no-nonsense, hardboiled noir aspect to it, but some of the other sequences are also a lot of fun to watch for other reasons (the fantasy/sci-fi environments for instance).
Despite the fact that I like this film, I do recognize that it has many flaws to it. None of the stories is truly fleshed out, for instance, or nothing in this whole film really makes any sense when you start thinking about it.
It's just a fun and brainless ride full with naked girls, cool sci-fi/fantasy stuff and awesome rock music! If that sounds like something you'd enjoy, you should definitely give it a watch.

--------------------------------------

Hercules is not one of my favorite Disney films (that's why it didn't make my list), but I always thought it was a hugely entertaining film. Much of the Greek mythology in it doesn't make any sense compared with the real ancient stories (I'm a huge fan of ancient mythologies), but I don't even care. The story is fun as hell and at the same time it's also a cool and even kind of clever commentary on the phenomenon of stardom. I watched it not that long ago with my younger sister and I still liked it quite a lot. I'm also a fan of the songs in it.

(Pretty wild editing for a Disney picture)

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I haven't seen Watership Down and Heavy Metal, and I didn't really like Hercules, so none of these had a chance of making my list.

I watched A Town Called Panic for this list, and I liked it a lot. I strongly considered it for my list, but it just didn't make the final cut.

The second of my list to show up. Had Heavy Metal at number 5. Saw this in college, and it is the best of the more adult oriented (but not necessarily mature) animated booby features. It is just something I like to pop in and relax to every now and again.

Saw Hercules, but since this was my time when I was not into Disney and being VERY familiar with the Greek myth, I was disappointed by the Disney version.

5. Heavy Metal
23. The Lady and the Tramp

Gahh! I totally forgot about Heavy Metal! I haven't seen it in years, so it has somewhat slipped my mind in the past few years even though I was blown away by it when it first came out. Oh, well, still hoping for several picks to make it soon.

72. Rudolph, The Red-Nosed Reindeerl - Voting Stats

Total Points: 78
Part of a Numeric Tie? No.
5 Votes: 2nd Place (24 pts.), 3rd Place (23 pts.), 9th Place (17 pts.), 17th Place (9 pts.), 21st Place (5 pts.)

71. Wolf Children - Voting Stats

Total Points: 80
Part of a Numeric Tie? Yes, tied with two other films, but more on that tomorrow.
4 Votes: Two 3rd Place (23 pts. each), 7th Place (19 pts.), 11th Place (15 pts.)

Not seen many of the recent entries. Hercules is decent enough though, I watched it again last year as my younger sister watched it, I didn't think it was that good, but as I have said it was decent enough, like quite a few films I've seen on the list so far.