Best Documentary about Directors/Actors/Movies

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I'll leave the obvious ones for later if they are left out, but a good one I notice many haven't seen (lIMDB, other forums, etc) is "Sam Peckinpah: Man of Iron".... He's more interesting than his movies, and I like a handful of his.

Lost in La Mancha (2002),

Jodorowsky's Dune (2013)

and The Disaster Artist (2017).

The truth is in here
The Disaster Artist is a great movie, but a documentary it is not.

De Palma is highly recommended if you're a fan of the director. Instead of just getting several people to talk about how great it is, he tells it completely from his own perspective. I thought that was pretty cool.

This Is Not A Film is just as much about the director himself as the censorship struggles he's had to face. It's not the best movie ever, and it's limited in terms of scope, but it's one you're glad he even managed to get made given the awful circumstances.

Looking For Richard is about Al Pacino's love for theatre, and one of the few films he directed himself as well. It's great to hear him talk so passionately about the subject, and as if that wasn't good enough, we finally see him act out Richard III. For those who don't know, in Al Pacino: In Conversation Of Lawrence Grobel, he mentions his fondness for the play and how he'll sometimes act it out for himself. It was actually supposed to be a full movie, but he decided it would never be as great as Laurence Olivier's take. But we do get at least 20 minutes of it showing in the movie, and it's truly magnetic.

Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocalypse
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Visions of Light: The Art of Cinematography
Nice recommendation. Last night I watched this documentary from 1992. I thought McCarthy and Glassman did a great job highlighting some of the iconic cinematographic scenes in movies up to that time, and further, having some of the great photographers explain their philosophies.

They smartly eschewed going into the technical aspects of lenses, cameras and the like, and instead concentrated on the artistic side. There were some fascinating behind the scenes stories as well.

Even though I've witnessed much pre-sound cinematography, it never occurred to me how the camera work was so facile before sound requirements pretty much anchored down the cameras, at least until the technology improved to allow much more camera movement.

They could almost do a sequel to include from 1992 to the present. But frankly I admire the earlier folks more-- before CGI and all the rest.

Good film!

~Doc

I'll leave the obvious ones for later if they are left out, but a good one I notice many haven't seen (lIMDB, other forums, etc) is "Sam Peckinpah: Man of Iron".... He's more interesting than his movies, and I like a handful of his.
Watched this on Youtube yesterday. It was kind of interesting and did shed some extra light on why he was considered difficult. I would have wished more focus on his art, though, and a bit more structured approach in general.

Watched this on Youtube yesterday. It was kind of interesting and did shed some extra light on why he was considered difficult. I would have wished more focus on his art, though, and a bit more structured approach in general.
It's on YouTube anymore, but there was the full 11-hour uncut interview out there for a while. I think someone told me its on the DVD extras of "Alfredo Garcia"

I just saw a perfect example of how a documentary should be... And it's a documentary on my very favorite director - Vittorio De Sica. I've searched for one in the past, but somehow I ran into this while browsing Amazon Prime, which I know many have, and should check out. I never heard De Sica speaking English, so there are limitations on knowing everything you can about the man, but his movies speak on his poetic yet realistic humanity.... I liked how it divided into segment... You had "The Director", "The Actor", "The Man", "The Gambler", "The Father", etc.

You don't see any young "flavor of the month" directors or actors, not because they don't know him, but because whoever produced it made sure he got the best of the best..

Featured in this documentary
-Clint Eastwood
-Woody Allen
-Sophia Loren
-Federic Fellini
-Ken Loach
-Mike Leigh
-Shirley MacLaine
-Ettore Scola (great Italian director)
-Mario Monicello
-Paul Mazursky (who told De Sica that he was stealing "Umberto D" to make (my favorite movie), "Harry and Tonto"
-Dino DeLaurentis (great producer)
and many others, including his friends.

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"
It was just recently released, but I highly recommend Inmate #1: The Rise of Danny Trejo.