Two Strange Laws In China

Tools    

Around 2006, motorcyle thieves were rampant in Canton ( has about 20,000,000 people ) and snatch and grab was easy.
The Chinese government solution: Motorcycles are outlawed in the whole city of Canton. That's right, one can not see them anyy more here. Crime has dropped.
In August of this year, the Chinese government made it mandatory to register one's ID when buying a new sim card. Now, that simple process takes abot 30 minutes and can be done only in designated mobile shops.

It doesn't work though. The crims are still out there, robbing and thieving from decent people.

It's a backwards way of doing things.

I wouldn't want motorcycles around if it was rampant like that, either. Of course thieves could always still use motorcycles, though, since they're criminals, but it might make you stand out more.

Yeah, that would be like saying: Here I am, I am a thief. There simply are no motorcycles on the streets here. I suppose one could drive it but it would be pretty hard to hide it without beeing seen by someone.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/15/wo...hina.html?_r=0

Yep interesting to see what they did.

My Father and his partner were victims of one of those snatch and grab buggers when out in Malaysia. They drove up on the inside of them on a path and grabbed a bag containing mobile phone, camera, money and so on.

Thankfully neither of them were physically hurt, just shocked.

Anything drive-by or walk-by is scary -- yes, even walking by someone.

I think we need to invent electrical force fields that go around our bodies and whatever we're carrying for when we're out in public (or even at home). Turn it on and nobody can touch you -- and if they do, ZAP.

Wherever you are ( and I've been to some pretty rough places ) just be aware ( don't talk on your phone while walking and have both hands free )
and don't flaunt anything expensive ( like gold jewelry ), don't walk scared, know the local customs and be courteous but firm, give respect and respect will be given to you ( even by thieves ).

Carry a gun... and get pick pocketed... now the crim has a gun...
And, if he robbed you, a Young Guns DVD.

Nah, he's too brilliant to be ignored. If I could, I'd probably lock him in some artsy craftsy think tank, only to be unleashed on the rest of us for an hour a day.

I've added him to my ignore list again.
You are weak. No wonder you need Predator and RoboCop to protect you.

this is really sad for the motorcycle owners. the law is effective though. its really lame that to buy a sim card you need to spend atleast 30 minutes...... really STRANGE