Cinemaafficionado's Movie Portraits

→ in
Tools    

Angelina Jolie makes her directorial debut in this movie about the conflict in Bosnia that occured in 1992- 1995 in the former republic of Yugoslavia.
She also wrote the script for the movie.
This coflict is portrayed through the captor-captive relationship between a Serb Officer and a Muslim woman, painter.
If we were to disregard history and to just look at this movie in it's entity, Angelina would have us believe that the Serbs were monsters and that the war was very one-sided. The Serbs are portaryed as blood-thirtsy rapists that showed utter contempt and disregard for human life.
In the movie, The Serbs over-run the outskirts of Sarajevo, capture the Muslim civilians. Seperate the men from the women, shoot the men and keep the women as sex slaves. The main character of the movie is such a woman, who just happens to be lucky for knowing the Serb in command, prior to the war. He seperates her from the others and tries to protect her from the pilaging Serbs. Their relationship is a complex one. He does not rape this woman but the viewer is left in doubt as to why the woman remains with him, when even he tries to persuade her to escape to freedom. Is it just for preservation or does she have genuine feeling for him? He really doesn't like the war nor the killing and rape nor the position that fate his bestowed upon him. What compicates things is that the officer's father is the head huncho, the General of the Serb army who leaves no doubt that he hates Muslims and that they should all be eradicated. Although the Serb Officer clearly has feelings for this woman, his father condemns this relationship and puts the seeds of doubt into his son's brain as to him being able to trust the enemy. The father also arranges that a comrade of his son's rapes the woman. The son winds up killing the guy for that act. Until the last minutes of this movie the viewer is left wondering what the ultimate end of this realtionship is going to be.
In the end, Angelina leaves no doubt as to her interpretation of this war. And in this respect the movie is harrowing and gripping.
The real facts are that when the Republic of Bosnia and Hercegovina ceseded from Yugoslavia, the people that lived on that territory where one third Serbs, one third Croats and one third Muslims. It was the Muslims that wanted to create a new and seperate republic and war broke out among the different factions that lived there. Since Serbia was the biggest republic in the country of Yugoslavia, most of the soldiers in the Yugoslav army were Serb and they tried to prevent the cesssession of the republic of Bosnia but the war evolved into a religious war between the Bosnian Greek Orthodox Serbs and the Muslims and the Catholic Croats.
Although Serbia became the big scapegoat of this war, the atrocities against ethnic civilian populations were comitted by all sides, mostly by army irregular formations that were organized on that territory.
The US wound up bombing the capitol of Serbia and engaged Nato also to bomb the Serbs that were occuping the hills over Sarajevo.
Later it was found out that there were about 5, 000 Muhadjadin and Alkaida members that came from outside to aid the Muslim faction and that some of the atrocities that were attribiuted to the Serbs were actually staged by the Muslims to gain world support and intervention.
Madeleine Albreight didn't have a clue nor did Clinton as to what was going on over there.
Anyway, Angelina with this movie just reinforced the belief that the war was a one-sided genocide against the Muslims, even though at the War Crimes Tribunal at the Hague, after the fact,the Serbs were not the only ones tried as war criminals. Atrocities in Bosnia as well as Croatia, who also ceseded from the Yugoslav Federation, were comitted by all sides and the Serbs were certainly not the only villians.
Agree with everything.

Miss Bala

In 1985 a liitle known DEA agent ny the name of Enrique Camarena suddenly became famous by getting abducted , tourtured and killed while on an under cover assigmnent in Mexico.
For some strange reason, some 26 years later an American DEA agent bearing the same name meets the same fate in this movie. A warning, a conicidence, makes one wonder.
The main protagonistof the movie is a girl by the name of Laura Guerrera, who in the process of viying for the Miss Baha California title becomes a witness to a mass killing in a night club. Luckily for her, the leader of the executioner drug gang takes a liking to her and she unwittingly becomes his captive.
He controls her like a puppet and gets her to accomplish tasks that his crime organization is trying to achieve.
Throughout this movie, we see, how much things have gone out of contol in Mexico because of the inter-connectvity between tha narco trafficantes, the police and the army.
The movie ends with a sober note, informing thatover 30, 000 people have died in Mexico in the last three years alone as a result of the ongoing war between the Mexican government and the drug lords that seem to have just as much, if not more, influence on the country.
No doubt, the beauty pageant is a small example of that influence, as Laura is voted the winner of the pageant, even though she is left speechless on the stage when asked the simplest of questions.

ENJOYABLE

the drug lords control the country...they do, really they do!

Any Mexicanos here and their take on this movie's portrayals on the goings on in Mexico. Is what happened to Miss Bala believable? Did it happen? Can it happen in the future? What do you think should be done to prevent it from happening again. How effecive is Calderon's war on the narco trafficantes? Is Mexico better off now than it was 4 years a go?

The Yellow Sea

After the success and popularity of the Chaser, Korean director Hong Jin Na got support from a major Hollywood studio to do another Korean movie
This venture was the first for Korean cinema and it didn't dissapoint.
Yellow Sea (2011) is a hard-nosed thriller about a Korean guy in China down on his luck. His wife had left him and gone to South Korea, when he is offered to partake in a contract killing. His target is a prominent South Korean Professor and former champion judoka. THe killer's hirerer doesn't give him much more information than that and also requires hin to committ the murder in a very short amount of time. The killer accepts the contact as it also gives him the opportunity to go to South Korea and locate his wife.
When he gets there, things get messy. Other people are trying to hit the target, as well, and they succeed. The guy that hired him also goes to South Korea and gets into the fray but wants to kill his button man , too. Both of these individuals are hard as nails and as they battle each other and the competition, bodies are piling up. This movie is worth the price of admission just for the gritty fight scenes, never mind the plot that gets weirder by the minute.

EXCEPTIONAL

Night At The Goden Eagle

After spending seven years in prison, Tommy, now a senior citizen, gets picked up by a close buddy named Vick, who takes him to crash at his place for the night, The Golden Eagle ,before heading off together with Tommy to Vegas, in the morniong. Or at least that's the plan.
The visuals are real and the Golden Eagle is just as deppresingly dumpy, seedy and dark, as it's intended to be.
The chracters around it are all desperate people down on their luck and obviously having seen better days.
Prior to entering this establishment, Tommy meets this willing young hooker. The man's been in prison for seven years and he's not gay.
He ignores his friends warnings, who goes off to collect his last pay check.
Unable to perform with the gilrl, Tommy is down on himself, when she starts baraging him and questioning his manhood. Tommy's old school Italian and that's one thing he can't take and things terribly spiral out of control.
This movie is one of those dark movies that realisticaly portray the sleazy environment and people that live there.
Long time a go I made myself a promise that should I ever sink so low to have to live in that kind of environment, I'll put a bullit in my head first.

ENJOYABLE
Night At The Golden Eagle

the fallen

well, here's one war movie that i won't be reccomending.
Should probably reproach myself for not giving up within the first 15 minutes but it got the better of me, nevertheless, and i wanted to see how it enfolds.
I guess one could call this movie german propaganda, as it's told from their point of few.
The italian soldiers ( their allies ) are portrayed as inept sad sacks.
The americans are not much better. There is no real discipline and most of the guys appear to be a bunch of over-privelaged losers.
Of course, the germans are heroic and discplined and portrayed as caring, starting from their sigfried like lieutenant, who sacrifices himself for his troops.
Yes , it's war and chaos but i don't think this movie was intended as a parody. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry but i must admit that i found myself admiring the type of soldier the german liutenant was.
There might have been some like him in the real war but i think that the majority of them were not as noble. After all, they were the invaders and wanted to conquer the whole word but wound up finding out that they bit off more than they can chew.
regretable

american perfekt

here's a quircky movie that's under the radar but has an excellent charactor actor cast: Robert forster, paul sorvrino, daviid thewlis, amanda plummer and fairuza balk.
What makes tis movie interesting is that the characters are really not who they appear and the most gentlemanly and unassuming of them all hides a deadly secret.
From stranded motorists to psycho driverrs to serrial killers, to sheriffs with good gut instincts this ride is for those who enjoy the weird and wild.
enjoyable

I haven't seen Fire yet, but I've seen Sam & Me; Bollywood, Hollywood and one of my favorites is Water

Then for sure you should check out Earth.

The War Of Arrows (2011)

If you are a fan of Korean movies, this is a must see.
Director Han Min Kim delivers a fast paced visual war of arrows, as a skilled archer Nam Yi sets out to rescue his sister Ja-In fro the Mongol invaders that captured her.
One man's fantastic skill defies all odds against a horde of almost equally trained adversaries. Once it begins, the action never wavers and pace and cinematography are jaw-dropping.
At the 2012 Asian Film Fesival, Hae Il Park ( Nam Yi ) was nominated for best actor and Han Min Kim was nominated for the Asia Action Award at the Deauville Asian Film Festival.

EXCEPTIONAL

Riot ( 1969)

This is the best prison movie to come out of the sixties. Dark, Grim and brutal, it's a story about a group of convicts that stage a riot and take over a prison. The action is non-stop and very realistic.
The main characters played by Jim Brown and Gene Hackman are convincingly brought to life as we witness the carnage that unfolds.

ENJOYABLE

The Challenge (1982)

Every now and then a movie comes along that reminds one of a segment of his life. Such is the case for me, when I first went to Japan and trained in a traditional Japanese Dojo.
Scott Glen is a down and out boxer hired to transport an ancient and valuable family heirloom sword to Japan, where he gets envoved in an ongoing feud over the sword between two brothers, one of which takes him under his wing and starts training him in traditional Japanese martial arts.
For a westerner this is an eye openning training experience and a realization what comittment to training truly means.
The amount of action and gore in this movie, especialy for that era is exceptional and I recommend it for those that realy enjoy the genre.

EXCEPTIONAL

Z ( 1969 )

This movie is based on a true story, the real life assassination of a Greek doctor, whose 1963 murder led to the overthrow of the democratic government of Greece. The director, Costa Gavras, unflinchingly takes us into the heart of a military coup d' etat.
The mix of story line, cinematography and music score along with the edge-of -your-seat pace makes this a must see movie.
In 1970, it received 5 Oscar Nominations and won 2: Best Foreign Language Film and Best Film Editing - Francoise Bonnot.

EXCEPTIONAL

Knuckle ( 2011 )

A documentary spanning 12 years into the Irish Traveler Clans bare knuckle fighting. They are all related by blood but because of old long standing disagreements and slights, they continue the tradition of bare knuckle fighting against each other. This is not boxing, it's basically street bralling, but there is a sense of fairness as it is monitored by non-partisan referees who are quick to jump in and save a partcipant from too much punishment at one time.
James Quinn MacDonagh is the Monarch of the Quinns and his followers worship him like a God. He has yet to be defeated. After each fight, he says, it's his last but new challenges keep keep him dishing out more punishment. In all likelyhood, his son will take it to the next generation but I feel, over his dead mom's body.
This is a brutal and realistic look into the secretive but very invardly loyal Irish clans, who, although united by blood, feel the need to keep spilling that same blood. There are no time limits or rest periods and the fight goes on essentialy until one man quits or is knocked senseless. So far there have been trips to the hospitol but no deaths. James was even shot to keep him from dominating the scene but he keeps trucking on. In his last fight he beat a good fighter that was ten years his junior. The fight lasted almost 4 hours.
James's brother tried to avenge a prior loss to a bemouth that outweighed him by some 60 pounds. That fight lasted 2 hours and was ruled a draw. About $90,000 was wagered on it.

EXCEPTIONAL

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
I've not seen a single film you've mentioned so far!!!

So it's tough for me to comment and agree/disagree with your views. However it's given me a lot of films to investigate. So thanks for that. Heard about Knuckle a while back and thought it sounded quite interesting.

Dark Of The Sun ( The Mercenaries ) ( 1968 )

An overlooked war gem that was way ahead of it's time.
A band of mercenaries, led by the brave and righteous Captain Curry , marvelously portrayed by Rod Taylor , travel across a hostile and deadly Congo, trying to rescue $25 million worth of uncut diamonds.
All the while there is tension and riff within this group, especially between Ruffo ( Jim Brown ), who is loyal to Curry, and Henlein (Peter Carsten), who has his own plans for the diamonds.
Some of the action scenes in this movie are quite astonishing, for instance, when Curry and Ruffo have to fight their way out of a house over-run by Congo savages.
And , of course, there is the brutal and viscious one on one fight between Curry and Heinlen.
For war action entusiasts this is a must see movie.

EXCEPTIONAL

Looking For Mr. Goodbar (1977)

Lonelyness is a bitch.
This movie has sadly been overlooked and almost forgotten.
The subject is what many people can relate to.
Diane Keaton plays a teacher by day and a woman in search of love, by night. The duality of her personality is really not in conflict, as lonelyness is the bridge that connects the two.
Unfortunately for her, the night increasingly takes over as she cruises bars looking for more and more abusive men to quench her increasingly violent sexual encounters.
Finaly, the movie climaxes in the inevitable encounter.

EXCEPTIONAL

Attack On Darfur (2009)

An extermely brutal and disturbingly realistic portrayal of ethnic cleansing in North Africa.
A group of white journalists get caught up in the carnage and bear personal witness to the sytematic extermination and rape of African villagers by marauding Arabs.
This movie is definitely not for the feint hearted.
Some of the scenes are so shocking that they will remain forever etched in most normal brains.
Director Uwe Boll paints a microcosmic genocidol portrait of war-torn Sudan.