Favorite Post-Classic Westerns

Tools    

Yes, I think it would be fair to say you're missing something. A very specific something.
My shrink hasn't been able to figure that one out for years, so it would be very usefull if you could help me with that and specificaly point it out to me.

Of course there are, who knows how many, but I would have been more impressed by his point had one of the movies I mentioned actually been listed on his list
What are you talking about? Freaks is my current no.5. I don't know why that would "impress" you significantly more than my simply calling them great movies, but I guess it's kind of flattering that it does.

okay, so let me get this straight: you do think Carrie and Freaks are great movies (or at least, i'm guessing so by your "that's not the point" response to lines); however, since you think there are so many more movies that are wildly greater than Carrie and Freaks, any person who would list it in their top 10 - or better yet, any person who doesn't list the movies that you've specifically deemed as great - aren't worth your respect, can't be taken seriously in a film discussion, and should be entirely dismissed?
That's not what I meant. So let me be more clear.
I don't know how many members this forum has, but only 4 have Freaks as their top ten favorites.
Not taking someone seriously does not depend on a single movie, more so on the totality of their choices but it does not mean the people nor their choices are not worthy of respect nor should they be dissmisssed in a discussion. They should just choose someone other than me to discuss, since judging from their list, I don't have much in common in terms of taste and have seen way too many movies to be swayed.
I pretty much know what I like and am one of those people that can walk into a room full of strangers and almost immidiately pick up on who I can talk to and who I can't. I don't have much experience on public forums but can allready see that it's not much different from real life.

Not taking someone seriously does not depend on a single movie, more so on the totality of their choices but it does not mean the people nor their choices are not worthy of respect nor should they be dissmisssed in a discussion. They should just choose someone other than me to discuss, since judging from their list, I don't have much in common in terms of taste and have seen way too many movies to be swayed.
I pretty much know what I like and am one of those people that can walk into a room full of strangers and almost immidiately pick up on who I can talk to and who I can't. I don't have much experience on public forums but can allready see that it's not much different from real life.
You seem to be assuming that nobody but you has seen more than 10 movies in their lifetime. I can't think of a single person in the world whose taste I don't find at least partially questionable, but I can find enough in common with just about anyone to form the basis for having a discussion, as long as they actually want it. I don't generally expect to "sway" anyone's taste but that's not the only purpose for having a discussion.

This reminds me....I actually used to know someone who had only seen about 10 movies (and one of them was the 5,000 Fingers of Dr. T). She was a math genius and I'm pretty sure she was also actually a robot, but we could still make interesting conversations.

[quote=linespalsy;789681]You seem to be assuming that nobody but you has seen more than 10 movies in their lifetime. I can't think of a single person in the world whose taste I don't find at least partially questionable, but I can find enough in common with just about anyone to form the basis for having a discussion, as long as they actually want it. I don't generally expect to "sway" anyone's taste but that's not the only purpose for having a discussion.

quote]

Where do you assume that I've asumed anything?You know what they say about assumptions, so I make it a point not to assume anything.
Hey, I liked the efort you put into your Chinese movie list.
This, whatever you perceived it to be, is something not worth debating.

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
shouldn't it be the opposite? unless you just want to talk to people who echo your own thoughts, it makes more sense in terms of having actual challenging discourse to talk to people who have different ideas or thoughts about what makes a movie "great" or why they like or dislike a certain movie. this would include those Aladdin and Scream fans. (though, while we're on the subject, Aladdin did win two Academy Awards, so if we're going to talk in terms of a movie being great by the amount of awards it's won, you can't really diss the fans for it).

to be blunt, though, you seem to be assuming that having a silly or fluff movie on a favorite's list means that the person who chose it isn't serious enough about movies, hasn't seen as many as you, and doesn't know as much, but there isn't any possible way you could know that for certain. the only way you could really form an opinion about any member here is to spend more time reading the various posts all over the forum. many, many Mofos have spent hours of their time here writing thought-provoking, insightful reviews and analysis on movies. i like to think of myself as having contributed to that at least a little bit, even.

so i guess what i'm trying to say is, regardless of whether or not you allow yourself to be swayed by a movie on a someone's list, responding that way to people is unnecessary because it comes off petty, and it's just going to discourage discussion. which isn't what you'd want to try to do, i think.

shouldn't it be the opposite? unless you just want to talk to people who echo your own thoughts, it makes more sense in terms of having actual challenging discourse to talk to people who have different ideas or thoughts about what makes a movie "great" or why they like or dislike a certain movie. this would include those Aladdin and Scream fans. (though, while we're on the subject, Aladdin did win two Academy Awards, so if we're going to talk in terms of movies being great by the amount of awards it's won, you can't really diss the fans for it).

to be blunt, though, you seem to be assuming that having a silly or fluff movie on a favorite's list means that the person who chose it isn't serious enough about movies, hasn't seen as many as you, and doesn't know as much, but there isn't any possible way you could know that for certain. the only way you could really form an opinion about any member here is to spend more time reading the various posts all over the forum. many, many Mofos have spent hours of their time here writing thought-provoking, insightful reviews and analysis on movies. i like to think of myself as having contributed to that at least a little bit, even.

so i guess what i'm trying to say is, regardless of whether or not you allow yourself to be swayed by a movie on a someone's list, responding that way to people is unnecessary because it comes off petty, and it's just going to discourage discussion. which isn't what you'd want to try to do, i think.
Well said! You do know that many are here for their own reasons, as well as me. Maybe I came off as to quick to pass judgement, but in essence just more open to people with simmiliar tastes, and in lieu of that am looking to learn more and inform more. My thing is war, crime, extreme action, witty comedies, emotional tragedies, historical epics and I'm bored with artsy, existential and pretentious films. So if you have something in common with me, have at it.

Sudoku Blackbelt
Is there a problem here?

My favorite movies list contains all the best movies ever made, precisely.

The Assassination of Jesse James was one of the best westerns I've ever seen. I mean, most enjoyable.

I mean, best. Blah blah blah.

Open Range was good too.
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

My favorite movies list contains all the best movies ever made, precisely.

The Assassination of Jesse James was one of the best westerns I've ever seen. I mean, most enjoyable.

I mean, best. Blah blah blah.

Open Range was good too.
Ever consider stand-up? You are a natural.

There are movie critics that want to be fans. There are movie fans that want to be critics. I'm neither. I'm just a fan and I'd much rather relax and enjoy the movie then spend forever and a day discussing it's subtleties and upstaging like minded wizards.

Sudoku Blackbelt
There are movie critics that want to be fans. There are movie fans that want to be critics. I'm neither. I'm just a fan and I'd much rather relax and enjoy the movie then spend forever and a day discussing it's subtleties and upstaging like minded wizards.

Don't give up hope. You'll find a movie forum that doesn't discuss movies eventually.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I don't understand why cinemaafficianado seems to be able to spell part of the time and cannot spell the other parts of the time(s). I also want to know, if you can answer ca, why did you join so long ago and basically not post? The better we can understand you in the "real world" (yes, I believe that MoFo is the real world), the easier we will know what's going on here. In the meantime, do what you have to, but a little more honest sharing and a little less bitching should go a long way around here. If you want to see what I'm talking about, check HK's 100 Faves.

I don't understand why cinemaafficianado seems to be able to spell part of the time and cannot spell the other parts of the time(s). I also want to know, if you can answer ca, why did you join so long ago and basically not post? The better we can understand you in the "real world" (yes, I believe that MoFo is the real world), the easier we will know what's going on here. In the meantime, do what you have to, but a little more honest sharing and a little less bitching should go a long way around here. If you want to see what I'm talking about, check HK's 100 Faves.
Are you kidding?

Does anybody talk about movies at this site anymore?
I do, but apparently some don't want to hear what I have to say.
When the truth hurts, someone will find a way to call it a lie.
It's a bitch when we live in a groupie world. Never wanted to be a leader, never wanted to be a follower, just wanted to be me, but I'm cool with you. You know that.