Favorite Post-Classic Westerns

Tools    

Here's my favorite list of post-classic westerns. Enjoy and feel free to add to it:

All The Pretty Horses
The Appaloosa ( Virgo Mortensen )
The Assassination Of Jesse James
Broken Trail
The Claim
Cold Mountain
Comes A Horseman
Dead Man
Desperado
Dust
El Mariachi
Far And Away
Hi - Lo Country
The Jack Bull
Johnson County War
The Last Outlaw ( Mickey Rourcke )
Lone Star
The Missing
Monte Walsh
Old Gringo
One Man's Hero
Open Range
Pancho Villa ( Antonio Banderas )
The Proposition
The Quick And The Dead
Ride With The Devil
September Dawn
Seraphim Falls
South Of Heaven West Of Hell
Sukiyaki DjangoThere Will Be Blood
Three Burials Of Melqulades Estrada
3:10 To Yuma ( Russel Crowe )
Tombstone
Urban Cowboy
Wild Bill
Wild Wild West
Winter People
Wyatt Earp ( Kevin Costner )

Modern Westerns Made For TV Series:

Lonesome Dove
Dead Man's Walk
Streets Of Laredo
Omaha Moon
Into The West

An interesting 'Western' but set in Thailand:

Tears of the Black Tiger

Another not set in America that is one of my favourites, a wonderful homage to The Good, The Bad and The Ugly and not a rip off:

Humm, I sense a pattern here lol.

It's not brilliant but I found this interesting:

and one of the latest ones that I enjoyed immensely:

We've gone on holiday by mistake
That is not really a favourite list but more of an EVERY post classic western list.

Ones that spring to mind are;

Unforgiven

Tombstone

Open Range

Ned Kelly

The Proposition

There Will be Blood (not sure if that is really a western of sorts but one of the best Western Era films ve seen)

Pale Rider (1985) (Again not sure if this counts as "Post Classic" Era or when the cutoff date is but this is a real classic).

That is not really a favourite list but more of an EVERY post classic western list.

Ones that spring to mind are;

Unforgiven

Tombstone

Open Range

Ned Kelly

The Proposition

There Will be Blood (not sure if that is really a western of sorts but one of the best Western Era films ve seen)

Pale Rider (1985) (Again not sure if this counts as "Post Classic" Era or when the cutoff date is but this is a real classic).
Those are all in my collection and yes I can call them my favorites since I liked them all. I have seen twice as many that I didn't mention

An interesting 'Western' but set in Thailand:

Tears of the Black Tiger

Another not set in America that is one of my favourites, a wonderful homage to The Good, The Bad and The Ugly and not a rip off:

Humm, I sense a pattern here lol.

It's not brilliant but I found this interesting:

and one of the latest ones that I enjoyed immensely:

Thanks, haven't seen Blueberry so I'll check it out. Have never seen a Hindu western and probably wouldn't be interested.

Semper Fooey
Does this count?

Does this count?

Hmm... I don't know if I would call a simulated western a western but you can call it anything you want. Definitely not in my favorites list, but thanks anyway

Sudoku Blackbelt
Open Range has the best gunfight I've seen in a long, long time.

western themed? or western genre?

western themed with things like cowboys and horses i have little time for beyond Red Dead Redemption (which is a game)

but the actual genre of westerns (skilled, group/loners taking justice into thier own hands, long stare downs and clearly charachterized rival type enimies) I absolutley love

Inglourious Basterds is technichally a western set in occupied france
Dead Man's Shoes is also a western set in midlands UK
and Kevin Bacon's Death Sentance is very western with a modern (yet detached) setting

western themed? or western genre?

western themed with things like cowboys and horses i have little time for beyond Red Dead Redemption (which is a game)

but the actual genre of westerns (skilled, group/loners taking justice into thier own hands, long stare downs and clearly charachterized rival type enimies) I absolutley love

Inglourious Basterds is technichally a western set in occupied france
Dead Man's Shoes is also a western set in midlands UK
and Kevin Bacon's Death Sentance is very western with a modern (yet detached) setting
You are stretching it. So then to you anything with a smiliar theme you can place in whatever category is convenient. I've seen all the above mentioned and they hardly qualify as westerns, as most most people understand them, you know: cowboys, the prarie, sometimes American Indians, originaly called westerns based on cowboy life in the US southwest. Hope we don't keep changing the meaning of words started with Bill Clinton in the US ) and applying it to something else (like marriage-
which shall always remain a bond between man and woman, anything else is just a social contract).
Dead Man's Shoes is in my British action movie que. I did enjoy it, as well as Death Sentence - an American crime action movie

Dead Man's Shoes is definitely not an action genre movie...
Why not? It all depends on what your idea of action is. But this movie could also fall into my Dark list or English crime movies. Many movies are cross-overs and can be listed in different categories because they contain elements of those categories. And it can come down to with what you identify with the most. Having said that, it's hard for me to take a movie debate seriously with somone that has her top ten movie favorites list such as you do. Of all the movies in the world, the choices you made leave a lot to be desired and to a certain extent define your movie knowledge, at least for me. Hey, but they are your choices, so cool, but I still can't take you seriously, so enjoy the banter

Having said that, it's hard for me to take a movie debate seriously with somone that has her top ten movie favorites list such as you do. Of all the movies in the world, the choices you made leave a lot to be desired and to a certain extent define your movie knowledge

Seriously? are you going down that moronic route. Ten only fit in the list as far as I can see, I adore lots and lots of films from all sorts of genres and so on, so going by ten whole films is only what an idiot would do.

And my film knowledge is fine and dandy thank you, I even went on to do Film Studies...