The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo

→ in
Tools    

Wow, what a great surprise of a movie. Foreign films can sometimes be a bit slow for me, but I loved the pace and tension of this movie. very violent (NO KIDS PLEASE!) , but really well acted. The leads were great and the plot and outcome very good. I would highly recommend. Wonder if anyone else liked it and if saw parts 2 and 3 of trilogy?

I rated the films in the complete opposite I rated the books, which I found very interesting. Outside of Mikael and Lisbeth, I didn't really like any of the casting, but that's just my imagination from the books speaking I think. I do need to re-watch all three to form a better opinion about them because as is I'm just thinking "the books were better". Though, I must say, there were many scenes throughout the trilogy that were handled perfectly.

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
yep^

i read the books last year, and thought they were epic. no way would a film ever live up to it for me. but, it's like Harry Potter - no matter how much it sucks, i'm still going to see every one of the films

either way, if you did love this film as much as you say, pick up the books sometime.

Still, that scene when Salander paints her face and interrogates that one guy was so cool to see.

I didn't think any of them were bad, nor any of the harry potters (I'm sure my opinion will change on that though)

Disappointed with the film although it was always going to be so. The book is so intricate that no one could make a film with all the plotting detail, and unfortunately that's where the book's appeal is for me. I wasn't overly impressed with the second two books either - they were decent stories that jogged along nicely but I think they could've been condensed into one thick novel as there was an awful lot of unnecessary exposition about state affairs.

I thought the first movie was okay, but the second and third had way too many of the standard thriller cliches. The whole "super-resourceful lone heroes up against a far-reaching but totally incompetent conspiracy and they reveal the bad guys for the buffoons they are" thing is more than a little hokey.

15,000 feet above you and falling fast...
I'm debating on renting this. I see it listed on Demand... I usually bypass it and go for the sure bet, but it's tempting. I haven't read the book and probably won't. Is the movie worth getting?

"Live forever or die trying"
Never heard of it, any insight on what its about before i take a trip to the rental place.?

I am holding out on seeing the film until I read the book, which is next on my list... I actually probably should leave this thread so I don't accidentally hit a spoiler!

I haven't read the Books but watched the first two movies this week and really liked them

Chappie doesn't like the real world
I just watched this last night and wasn't very impressed. There is so much attention given to the plot that I think that neither lead character, especially Lisbeth, is developed near to the point where they should have been. I found Lisbeth to be fairly one note and I wasn't crazy about the actress that portrayed her either. Also missing was any chemistry between Mikael and Lisbeth and there so desperately needed to be some. Everything just felt so flat they whole way through.

I'm actually still looking forward to Fincher's version, because there is a really good movie in there somewhere I just felt this one missed the mark in making any real connection with the viewer.

I thought the first movie was okay, but the second and third had way too many of the standard thriller cliches. The whole "super-resourceful lone heroes up against a far-reaching but totally incompetent conspiracy and they reveal the bad guys for the buffoons they are" thing is more than a little hokey.
Agree, plus it really showed (I thought) that the second two were made for TV and not really movies. They just felt "day timey" and "soapish" to me anyway. I'll probably never read the books but of course they're better, I mean, c'mon, saying the books are better than the movie is kinda 1999 isn't it? Or is it 79? Anyway...

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog
I've read the books and seen all the movies and IMO I like them both, books a bit more, the movies are still really good and I can't wait for these extended editions, hoping they will have more of the book in the movie, there was a lot that was cut from the book so it should be interesting to see.

Extended Editions of The Dragon Tattoo trilogy coming

Sep 2, 2011

Music Box Films has announced a November 22nd release of an all-new box set of the Swedish films from author Stieg Larsson, in extended cuts of the film. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, The Girl Who Played with Fire, and The Girl Who Kicked a Hornet’s Nest were released on DVD and Blu-ray before, mostly devoid of extras. The Stieg Larsson Trilogy (review here) featured some extras, and now due to David Fincher’s American remake, we get another version of these films.
The Dragon Tattoo Trilogy: Extended Edition, at 9 hours, is the most complete film version of Stieg Larsson’s international best-selling books available, including over 2 hours of additional, never-before-seen feature content. This unique and extended mix of the original Swedish footage includes additional character development and narrative that more faithfully tracks the books. Previously available only in Europe, this final version is a must-see for Dragon Tattoo and Lisbeth Salander fans in the US.

I have read all the books and seen all Swedish plus the American film. I liked the Swedish film better. But in general I like all the above.

I did have one severe criticism of the book. It spends almost the entire book building up a picture of Lisbeth as an invincible fighter for what she believes in. But at the very end, as she aims to express her love for Michael, she sees a challenge and meekly hops on her bike and rides off. The American film preserved this character contradiction. The Swedish film tried to fix the problem by having Lisbeth reject her own feelings -- equally contradictory but maybe less obviously so. This ending greatly reduced my enjoyment of the book and films.

In the second book and its film, there is a very annoying factual lapse. Lisbeth's half-brother and murderous antagonist has congenital analgesia. As a result, he is depicted as immune to the effect of a professional boxer's KO punch. Also he's invulnerable to taser. Sure, he feels no pain but his brain would still be affected normally and he would be KOed. As these lapses are central to narrative and plot in book 2, it pretty much ruins the rest of the trilogy for me.