Brest Fortress (2010)

→ in
Tools    

Here I am in Canton, China, watching this movie with my girlfriend at her condo, of all places, and astonished how well made this Russian war movie is. Unfortunately there is no English translation here but the cinematography and unbelievable war choreography is worth watching for themselves alone. The realistic battle scenes are some of the best I've ever seen.
When Germany attacked Russia in June of 1941, this military cadet center, not far from Minsk, was one of the first attacked. Facing overwhelming odds, the Russians put up an unforgettable resistance. I highly recommend this movie and wonder if any one here has allready seen it?

I've seen it but it wasn't that memorable for me. Visuals are good,though.

I've seen it but it wasn't that memorable for me. Visuals are good,though.
No doubt you have access but unfortunately your view of Russians is somewhat tainted, to put it mildly, hense the memory lapse. And yes, harasho, the visuals are stunning.

your view of Russians is somewhat tainted, to put it mildly,
huh,what is that supposed to mean?

I'm neither a lover nor a hater. It's annoying when Russians try to make American style movies,it seems very unrealistic then. That's why Tarkovsky is very memorable,he has this unique style,which,I think,that only the Russians can truly understand and feel.

[quote=Gabrielle947;989468] It's annoying when Russians try to make American style movies,it seems very unrealistic then. ]

I'm not sure what part of Brest Fortress you feel is American style.
I thought that the whole movie had a distinctly Russian feel.
The beginning of the movie could possibly relate to Deer Hunter in terms of setting up the story, leading up to war.
The actual war scenes and action coreography could rival scenes from Black Hawk Down and Saving Private Ryan but I found the bombing and explosions scenes unique and very realistic.
Part of being a Russian is their unbelievable fortitude and never die spirit, and this movie perfectly illustrates that!

You just answered the question yourself.I can't really get in the discussion as I saw it a year, maybe two, ago.But I felt that it had nothing special,nothing that would grasp my attention,except for being well-made."Never die" spirit may be the actual feature of Russians but not in movies.
I think that Russian movies have the advantage of subtlety.There's no overdone emotions like in American stuff.No crying for everything,no complaining,no constant "life" quotes etc. yet characters often lead sadder lifes. I watched a movie The Return a few years back and I liked it a lot because of the way it handles itself.It's very subtle.
I grew up watching some Russian cult stuff like Brother,Bumer or Svolochi(they are quite accurate movies of the time tbh) and overall,some random Russian movies and they all have that subtlety and maybe something like unperfectness as the main characters are not beautiful guys,they are often even drunks (even Tarkovsky portrayed a drinking man in Stalker),they are miserable at life but they don't care,they just live it.And that is the great thing about Russian movies that you can not actually judge anymore.There are no good or bad guys.It's up to you.
Now, newer movies definitely are losing that spirit,they are becoming more American,the characters are those simple brave men who are scared but they will do anything to protect their homeland.There's not one reason not to sympathize with them.I don't know anything about cinematography or special effects,so you're right whatever you say about that.

Btw,I made a thread about a new Russian movie Stalingrad.Although 9th Company(same director is making Stalingrad) is a bit better movie than Brest Fortress in my view,I am pretty sure that it will be similar to it.

Btw,I made a thread about a new Russian movie Stalingrad.Although 9th Company(same director is making Stalingrad) is a bit better movie than Brest Fortress in my view,I am pretty sure that it will be similar to it.[/quote]

Yeah, I really liked 9th Company. I thought that the characters were better developed than Brest Fortress.. I'll have to see Stalingrad, although I hate Stalin.
Memorable Russian movies for me besides Brother are Thief and Burnt By The Sun.

Hate Stalin in movies?Or like just simply hate the man?

Thief and Burnt By The Sun.
I haven't heard of them or maybe I just don't remember.There was a popular movie called The White Sun of the Desert(Beloe solntse pustyni) which I was used to watch but I didn't like it and I don't get it even now. Also,I remeber there was constantly shown a movie called Heart of a Dog,very weird movie(man turns to a dog) but I can't find it anywhere to see again.

I am the Watcher in the Night
Sounds interesting but I haven't seen it. Might try and find it some where.

It's interesting opening up a discussion about Russian cinema, I've always found it hard to get into, it's "rough around the edges" to say the least. Another problem I have with it is that some of the better Russian movies feel so isolated and bleak, is it because of their post-WW2 history? Reflective of a nation which has gone through a traumatic century?

"I need your clothes, your boots and your motorcycle"

That's an interesting point that harsh history influenced their way of filmmaking.

I've always found it hard to get into
Actually,I think that your surroundings have a major influence on your movie preferences,I even wanted to start a thread about that.There are some classic,easy American movies which I feel that I fail to understand,I don't get the culture.And I think it might be because I was born in former USSR country.

I want Mr Minio in this thread,he is from Eastern Europe as well

Hate Stalin in movies?Or like just simply hate the man?

I haven't heard of them or maybe I just don't remember.There was a popular movie called The White Sun of the Desert(Beloe solntse pustyni) which I was used to watch but I didn't like it and I don't get it even now. Also,I remeber there was constantly shown a movie called Heart of a Dog,very weird movie(man turns to a dog) but I can't find it anywhere to see again.
I've read many books about Stalin. He was the ulimate manipulator and control freak. He killed everybody that was ever close to him
( and about 20,000,000 of his own Russians ) with the exception of Beria (who got offed by Kruschev, immidiately after Stalin's death).
You should definitely check out Thief and Burnt By The Sun. You might like them. You can find them on IMDB, Video Detective and Amazon, to name a few places where you can get an idea about them.