What Makes Game Of Thrones So Special

Tools    

The multitude of interesting and likeable characters and concurrent story lines that come together make this a truly remarkable and exceptional series. I have no doubt that this could be a winning formula for many new projects. The acting, directing, casting, chreography, cinematography and overall realism of some very unrealistic moments is kind of mind buggling and thoughroubly enjoyable. What is your take?

Finally, a legitimate and excellent thread from you.

Jokes...unfortunately, I haven't started watching this show yet, but I'm interested to hear what you people have to say.
Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, that's a straw, you see? You watching?. And my straw reaches acroooooooss the room, and starts to drink your milkshake... I... drink... your... milkshake!
-Daniel, There Will Be Blood

I think I've given up on TV. There are so many TV shows out there now... I'll never be able to catch up on all this junk.

quote=Sedai;571552]It certainly doesn't finish the story. Prepare yourself for some irritation when it comes to these books. The next two installments are flippin' FANTASTIC, but I must say I never even finished the fourth book. I won't go into detail here, but a couple of problems arose:

The first and foremost is that this damn guy just can't seem to get back to writing this series. The fourth book was delayed for literally years beyond the announced publication date. The rub is that it never actually got finished. Martin dicked around with it for so long, he eventually decided tochop the book in half and release only certain POV characters as opposed to telling the story he wanted to tell. Fan and publisher pressure, which had built for years as he kept telling people it was "almost done", forced him to compromise.

Imagine my surprise when I finally got my mitts on the fourth book, only
to find a great majority of the main characters absent, while I read
chapter after chapter about characters that had only been bit players in
the previous three books. I found myself not caring about them, because
they and their stories seemed so far removed from the story I had left
at the end of book 3.

During the waiting period for book four, Martin lamented regularly on
his website about how he was having trouble making the story work for
the fourth book, as he had written himself into a corner in regards to several of the storylines. During all these, he started writing other stuff instead; comics, card games and the like.

At that point I made the decision to wait for the entire series to be completed, at which time I would approach the series again, starting from the beginning. I mean come on, I read the first three books in the frippin 90s! I can't really remember much detail about the books.

Yep, that's right, the first book was published in 1996, thirteen years ago. George is NOT a young man. I question whether he will ever finish this series, ala Wheel of time, a series I dedicated myself to reading, only to find that the author died before he could finish the series. That was over ten books!

As for Dance with Dragons, the fifth book in the series, Martin claimed it would be published very quickly, as he had already pretty much written the book, but he had to remove the content from book four to get that one out the door. He claimed it would come out in about a year. This was in 2005-2006 or so.

Last time I checked his site was around July 2009 or so, and here is what I read:

"It can't be June already. It really can't. Where have the months gone? I am so depressed."

This is after several failed attempts at finishing book five over the past 3-4 years. Researching back I see that he had posted now and then with comments stating he hoped to have book 5 finished by X date in X year, and that he would not update until it was finished. Months later he would indeed update, sometimes lashing out at fans for the nasty emails he was getting, other times claiming he was depressed or this or that.

I am of the mind that he has let all this get to his head and heart, and he is just not passionate or invested in his series anymore. He would rather write short stories, go to sci-fi conventions, or any other activity that isn't writing The Song of Ice and Fire.

All I know is, I got exactly halfway through A Feast for Crows, and had read exactly three chapters with information pertaining to the story I had been following. The rest was entirely new characters (well, bit players from the first three) getting involved with brand new plot lines that had nothing to do with any of the main narratives of the first three books. Three Arya chapters, and the rest was filler. I closed the book and never went back. I was REALLY bummed at the time, because up until series had firmly entrenched itself in my "Best fantasy series ever" category. Now I doubt I will ever finish it...[/quote]

This is an intro and explaination from another thread. I just finished the 3d season ( I buy them, store them and watch them straight through, when I feel like it ).

{What I like about Game of Thrones is that you're never quite sure whether a dragon or something like it is going to show up. We saw those White Walkers in the beginning and those sure didn't seem natural unless it was a really clever ambush. You've got the dragon eggs that doesn't burn the Calisi. We've heard about the fantastical creatures lurking beyond the Great Wall (thought I'd caps that) but we haven't actually seen them. Within the universe there are the black guards who supposedly have fought these creatures but there's also the learned, noble half-man who takes it as nothing more than primitive folklore.
There's no doubt in my mind that we're going to see some fantastical ****! The question is whether it'll turn into a full fledged, Skyrim like dragon or maybe the eggs are just gonna hatch tiny dragon calves (cubs? Pups?). Maybe the Calisi is going to become a dragon summoner. Maybe the bastard Black Guard is going to become a Warder like character who fights off trolls and frost giants (not the crappy Thor ones). God I love this stuff look at that terminology!

And talk about a great cast! Everybody raves about Sean Bean and it is well deserved but I was watching Black Death the other day. I've also seen Lord of the Rings and even Percy Jackson... Yeah you get me. But he does do a very good knight slash nobleman slash... Zeus? Yeah alright.
We've got Danish Champ Nicolaj Coster-Waldau so you know it's good. We've got Peter Dinklage who shows that little people can actually act instead of just copulate with sheep in American Pie. We've got a bunch of beautiful, talented women, we've got beautiful talented guys with razors and stuff. All around man. All around.

Better than Lord of the Rings. Ooooooh.

The fiction is awesome I take it?}

This was my poor copy and paste from a quote from Kasper in another thread. Sorry, I'm still learning computer mechanics.

Finished here. It's been fun.
I love Game of Thrones for a multitude of reasons:

1.The lavish,gorgeous visuals and sleek direction. The show is a feast for the eyes. The costumes,sets,locations, and occasional scenes of battle are a treat. Each episode has the cinematic quality of a high quality film. Each season looks better and better than the previous.

2.Excellent cast of incredible actors. There are so many unique,dynamic characters in GOT, it really is hard to keep track of sometimes. The characters go beyond typical genre tropes and become life-like individuals.The acting is great, and even the weaker actors manage to hold their own.

3.Superb writing and dialogue. The dialogue is witty,intelligent and precise. Conversations flow like fine wine, and there's always intrigue,backstabbings, and double-crosses waiting to occur. The show manages to weave numerous storylines each episode with ease and grace. A triumph for modern storytelling.

4.The show is unpredictable and mature. It's very adult in it's content and it does a superb job at creating a vast,expensive world filled to the brim with lore and mythology.Everything comes together to form one of the greatest TV shows you'll ever see.Intelligent epic fantasy series that entertains and thrills, Game of Thrones is Grade-A TV and TV nobody should miss. Oh and it has like dragons and stuff.

You ready? You look ready.
It has a shady eunuch in it. Need we say more?
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

The multitude of interesting and likeable characters and concurrent story lines that come together make this a truly remarkable and exceptional series. I have no doubt that this could be a winning formula for many new projects. The acting, directing, casting, chreography, cinematography and overall realism of some very unrealistic moments is kind of mind buggling and thoughroubly enjoyable. What is your take?
It's a very good show indeed. It's different from most TV series in that it is an adaptation of a novel series and so has a literary quality to it. I am glad that in the US many TV series have acquired a more literary quality.

In the 1990's the only tv series that worked like a novel was Babylon 5. The rest was episodic.

4.The show is unpredictable and mature. It's very adult in it's content
Not quite. The huge volumes of sex and violence make it more suited to teenager/young adult tastes.

It's a lot like Rome in that regard. A historical series with lots of sex and violence.

Its just a very well done series. Martin needs to finish Winds of Winter, it should be an amazing book.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I was going to be more immature and say boobs. But you had to go all high class and call them breasts.

Suspect's Reviews

Peter Dinklage is my answer.