What Happened To Shantaram?

Tools    

Having read the book, I was anticipating the movie. Last year I heard that it was in production, but haven't heard anything since. Anyone here know if the movie is still being made or is it allready finished?

Joel Edgerton has been put in the lead and Johnny Depp is producing. The rights are held by WB until 2015 so there's stuff going round that it's still in the works.

I think they're trying to negotiate with the guy who wrote the book over disputes with the screenplay.

Aha!!

The Writer's Strike of 2007-2008 put a hex on the script and the Indian monsoon put a hex on filming anyway too. They wanted to film in the US and India.

I finished reading "SHANTARAM" just a few months ago, and did some reading about the proposed movie online. From what I could glean, the reason it didn't happen (yet) is a familiar tale in Hollywood:

It's too expensive.

Sure a big budget star in the lead, Johnny Depp, can certainly help move things along. But A-listers have notoriously short windows of opportunity, and tons of other offers to consider.

Then, of course, there is the prospect of making a $100M+ (because of the locations and scope of the story) movie...

...for a potential art-house-sized audience.

Bottom Line?

Don't hold our breath...