The Green Hornet

Tools    

\m/ Fade To Black \m/

Michel Gondry has been announced as the new director of Seth Rogen's project The Green Hornet.
The Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind auteur will replace original director Stephen Chow, who decided against helming the film due to time constraints.
Rogen told MTV News: "It's f***ing crazy! "Me and [co-writer] Evan [Goldberg] have always been gigantic fans of [Gondry].
"We just like anyone who thinks outside the box, and there's really nobody who thinks more outside the box then he does. He's really a magician in a lot of ways.
"The Green Hornet will be a great combination of both of our movies, of both of our styles."
He added that it would combine his and Goldberg's conversational tone and attempts at action sequences with Gondry's "wild, visual imagination" and "funny awkward sensibility".
Rogen recently denied claims that the film had been axed by Sony when Chow left the production, while Adam Sandler has been tipped for a cameo role in the movie.

This should be interesting.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

I like Human Nature. No masterpiece, but a fun flick. I think.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Originally Posted by Jrs' Sequel Buzz Thread

Christoph Waltz joins The Green Hornet

If you’ve seen Inglourious Basterds then you will know who Christoph Waltz is. He stole the show as Col. Hans Landa, and is getting quite a lot of Oscar buzz for the role. Whenever there’s buzz surrounding an actor they always get a lot more movie offers, and according to Deadline Hollywood Waltz has accepted one of them. Apparently he will be playing the villain in The Green Hornet, the same role that Nicolas Cage dropped out of playing last week.

Filming for Green Hornet is currently under-way, so Waltz will probably get to work in the upcoming days or weeks.

Source: Filmonic

Nic Cage Is Out Of The Green Hornet

The Green Hornet just can’t catch a break. The film’s production has been plagued with delays and disappointments for years now, but last week Seth Rogen’s Green Hornet started filming and it seemed as if all of that was finally behind them. And now there’s this: Nic Cage quits.

Cage was on board to play the movie’s villain but The Hollywood Reporter says he never actually signed an agreement with Columbia Pictures. Now they’ve given up on trying to sign him and Nic is off to do something else, leaving director Michel Gondry to find a new dastardly evil doer for Seth Rogen to battle.

Though the movie’s been shooting in Los Angeles since last week nothing with Cage was filmed since, of course, he hadn’t signed on the dotted line yet. Presumably they’ll keep filming and save the movie’s bad guy moments until they actually have a bad guy to put in front of the camera.

Source: Cinema Blend

Nicolas Cage Explains Green Hornet Decision

A press release came out last week which confirmed that Nicolas Cage was in negotiations to play the gangster villain for the upcoming Michael Gondry and Seth Rogen adaptation of Green Hornet.

Quick thereafter, news broke that Nic Cage had turned down the role and left the project to instead work as the lead in two other films. Production was just starting so some were worried about them finding a worthy replacement quick. They sure as hell did though in bringing in to-be-Oscar-nominated Inglourious Basterds star, Christoph Waltz.

As to why Cage turned down the role, we now have the reason…

While promoting his film, Bad Lieutenant, Port of Call: New Orleans at TIFF, Cage answered questions on the topic of Green Hornet explaining that his decision stemmed from creative differences (he’s not the first to leave for that reason, looking back on Stephen Chow who was set to direct and play Kato before).

Cage revealed that Rogen and Gondry had different ideas for the character than he did and he “wasn’t interested in just being just a straight-up bad guy who was killing people willy-nilly.”

Instead, Cage wanted a character whose motivations made sense and whose evilness is explained and apparently there wasn’t the time to develop that into the script - production began two weeks ago.

The Green Hornet was something that I wanted to do, I think Michel Gondry is very talented and I had hoped it would work but I think Seth Rogen and Michel had a different take on the character,”

“I had to have some humanity and to try to give it something where you could understand why the character was the way he was but I don’t think there was enough time to develop it.”
It doesn’t really matter though anymore as he won’t be missed too much with Christopher Waltz replacing him. Waltz made big name for himself with his epic performance in the latest Tarantino flick and he represents a significant upgrade over Mr. Cage.

Green Hornet hits theaters December 17, 2010.

Source: Screenrant

First Green Hornet Set Photos

For more head over to SuperHero Hype and Just Jared. The Green Hornet hits theaters December 17th, 2010.

The Green Hornet Delayed By 5 Months

A rather surprising piece of news has surfaced about the upcoming Seth Rogen comic book movie, The Green Hornet - It has been pushed back a whopping 5 months, from its previous July 7th summer release date next year to December 17th. There’s been no official reason given for the move, but its star Rogen has responded himself to the news.

It has certainly been a rocky road for The Green Hornet, with one notable obstacle being Stephen Chow sadly dropping out, first as director, then as an actor in the role of the titular character’s sidekick, Kato. But with an extremely talented director coming on board in the form of Michel Gondry, and recently Nicolas Cage, Cameron Diaz, Edward James Olmos and Jay Chou has also been rumored), it looked like things were firmly on the road for the release next summer.

However, as HitFix notes, principle photography hasn’t even started yet, and the highly anticipated (arguably even more than this movie) Predators would have made for heavy competition as it’s also scheduled to open on July 7th next year. On top of that, a December release sets The Green Hornet apart from all the other summer movies that it will compete with.

HitFix managed to get in contact with Rogen, who has given his rather positive thoughts on the date move of The Green Hornet:

“We’re both [me and Michel Gondry are] relieved and psyched about the change. It gives more time for post [-production], which would have been immensely rushed if we were to come out in the summer. It also affords us more time to promote the film, (now we can go to Comic-Con with more than a car!) and ultimately is a great vote of confidence from the studio.”
With the troubled road that The Green Hornet has had up until this point, we don’t want a rushed production to derail it now that it’s finally on-track. Five months does seem like a bit of a long time, but I’m still fine with it. July is still 11 months away, so a delay from that isn’t that big of a deal when we’re this far away. It’s not a Harry Potter case where the original release date was only a few months away and THEN they suddenly decided to move it to the following year. Excitement and anticipation for The Green Hornet hasn’t really started to properly gear up yet.

Will a comic book movie like The Green Hornet do better with a pre-Christmas holiday release than it would have smack in the middle of summer? If the interest from the general movie going public is there for this rather strange sounding comic book movie, it will still be there in December as it was during the summer.

Source: Screenrant

Jay Chou Officially Cast as Kato in Rogen's Green Hornet

Sony has confirmed via a press release today (read it here) that they've cast Taiwanese actor Jay Chou in the role instead. Chou is a singer and actor (much like Korean star Rain) and a huge star throughout Asia and will definitely draw international crowds. “Jay is incredibly unique and charming and fights like a wild dog! When I filmed him next to Seth, they had such great chemistry, and I knew the movie will be great," director Michel Gondry said about casting him.

"It's an overwhelming experience to take on a role made famous by Bruce Lee. I won't try to be Bruce Lee's Kato – I will try to bring my own interpretation to the part. Of course, it's a dream role, and I'm looking forward to the challenge." A classic character of film, television, radio, and comic books returns to the big screen in Columbia Pictures' feature film The Green Hornet, starring Seth Rogen as the vigilante crime-fighter. This being directed by Michel Gondry from a screenplay written by Seth Rogen & Evan Goldberg, based upon "The Green Hornet" radio series. The Green Hornet is set to hit theaters on July 9th, 2010.

Source: FirstShowing.net

Battlestar's Adama Joining The Green Hornet

Hollywood Snitch caught up with Edward James Olmos ("Blade Runner", "Battlestar Galactica" ) at Wizard World Chicago Comic-Con, and Olmos let them know that he’ll be in The Green Hornet. No word on what part he’ll play.

"I'm on my way to do The Green Hornet," Olmos told Hollywood Snitch. "It'll be a lot of fun.

The Green Hornet will star Seth Rogen, Cameron Diaz and Taiwanese actor Jay Chou, who was just announced as Stephen Chow's replacement as sidekick Kato. It is scheduled for release in 2010.

Source: Hollywood Snitch

The Green Hornet's Costume Revealed

Splash News has posted some new video from the set of The Green Hornet, which features some on-set explosions and a first look at both The Green Hornet's costume and Kato's costume.

Click here to get your first look at The Green Hornet Costume.

The Green Hornet stars Seth Rogen, Cameron Diaz, Jay Chou, Edward James Olmos, David Harbour, Tom Wilkinson, Christoph Waltz
and will be released in theaters on December 17, 2010.

Source: Movieweb

Semper Fooey
I predict bomb. The radio show was dull, the two serials were dull, and the 1960s TV series (one season) was dull

Semper Fooey
The Green Hornet was never any good.

It was only successful as a long running radio show and it was dull, dull, dull.

When I was a teenager, a local radio station for a time ran on Saturday The Shadow followed by The Hornet. The Shadow was a hoot with that maniacal laugh and weird plots. The Green Hornet was always a good concept that never jelled. The police and even the criminal underworld thought the Hornet was another crook and he tried to use that in his fight against crime. but the writers were never willing to develop the idea. A Green Hornet movie, and it sounds like they're not doing it, should be the Hornet making alliances with gangsters and double crossing them. The Hornet on radio, unlike the Shadow, never had colorful villains, just mundane ordinary crooks and realistic, ho-hum plots. What's a superhero movie without a worthy foe? The Hornet never had one and it doesn't sound like the movie has one, with Cage's displeasure with the one dimensional character he was going to play.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
To you, maybe, but all I know is that I couldn't wait every week for the Green Hornet and Kato to show up on my TV screen. Of course, I wasn't all that selective a viewer because I also loved "The Time Tunnel", "Gilligan's Island", "The Beverly Hillbillies", Wrestling and the Roller Derby. None of this will have any effect on newcomers, but Gondry might get some trippy action going.

The Green Hornet Movie Trailers has been launched already, im not sure about your reaction guys after seeing the trailer. im only excited to see his sidekick Koto on that film

Semper Fooey
That looks like a spoof.

I thought they were going to do it straight.

I dunno. I think they are trying to go for both funny and action thriller and I suspect it won't work as either, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see. I could be wrong, but I'm not getting a good vibe,