→ in
Tools    

Nice movie with amazing effect

It was a fantastic movie,like it!

there's a frog in my snake oil
Just a coupla things I've seen recently that seem to belong here... in terms of the future applications of 3D/CGI tech etc...

This guy says 3D TV broadcasts have been promised by at least 3 US cable networks before the end of 2010. (He also says that the tech only manipulates 1 out of 10 cues we use to perceive depth, so worries about repeated daily viewing - a worry that apparently stymied virtual reality headset tech he worked on).

I didn't realise it was going to get rolled out so soon in the domestic TV market.

---

The vid just shows how ubiquitous 'green screen' is in TV shows these days, and pretty seamlessly/unnoticeably so in many cases. Makes me wonder how regularly high-end CGI might be employed within the next 5/10 years...

&feature=player_embedded

I finally saw it, and yes in 3D. Absolutely stunning! Cameron is a genius. I went with my 72 year old mom and she was very nervous going in, but loved it. It was the non epic scenes that would sneak up on you and blow you away with the 3D. I will see this again.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
apparently the point of the movie is supposed to be natural spiritual life against the evils of technology and money.
And it took 300 million dollars and expensive new technology to make this movie.
I swear Avatar's target demographic is mongoloid retards
Yes, he should of used oil paintings instead.

Suspect's Reviews

Or he could only make things that have messages consistent with the standard means of creating them. Pointing out the hypocriscy is fair game, in my mind: he can express anti-corporate and anti-technology sentiment without using corporations or advanced technology, if he really wants to.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
And calling the demographic of the film mongoloid retards is fine as well. What does that comment have to do with the rest of his statement?

Not paying too much attention, watching Canada VS USA game.

apparently the point of the movie is supposed to be natural spiritual life against the evils of technology and money.
And it took 300 million dollars and expensive new technology to make this movie.
Spoken like a true cranky blind person. Here here!

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
It was nice to go to a theatre for an experience. I can't go to movies anymore and pay $10+ for some cheesy romantic comedy that I could be half-heartedly watching on an Ipod a month later. I only remember a handful of memorable movie experiences. Liquid Sky midnight showing at the St. Marx theatre in NYC. One theatre used to have a double feature of Looney Tunes cartoons on hot summer nights, and they were always packed. Theatre 80 in NYC (not sure if it's still there) used to run vintage b/w double features every night, and they had unique candy you remembered as a kid. You want an experience, even if you're driving to the mall for the thousandth time. Props to Cameron for shoveling out the money to try and give that kind of experience.

Yes, he should of used oil paintings instead.
Airbrushed arcylic on glass. Works very nice. Like it much more than digital animation.

Great! I'm relieved to find such an objective review.

It deserves more Oscar awards but won only 3

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
Ive just watched Avatar and I have to say, what a film! It is absolutly amazing over the next few days it will be having multiple viewings

I liked it a lot it wasn't perfect but was still pretty good.
4 stars.

The year's most ambitious film is so breathtaking, it detracts you from the fact that Cameron's characters are caricatures, and too much of the dialogue is stock. The good news? None of it matters.

A system of cells interlinked
Wrong. Wasn't it the technology and money that allowed the avatars to exist in the first place? How about the property rights angle? Was it strictly money and technology that drove Colonel Quaritch? I doubt it.

While I agree there isn't much new at the heart of the narrative, and I also recognize this flick is basically Pocahontas in space, not every film has to break new ground in this department to be enjoyable. I saw this in tthe theater and I had a BLAST. I don't need to theorize and ponder philosophy with every single film I see. Some flicks are big and dumb, and meant to be enjoyed as such - Avatar delivers in spades in this regard.

Also - stuff glowed. I like stuff that glows.

It's a great movie! I don't think anyone would disagree, but it did have a couple of problems. The story (unfortunately) wasn't all that original, as many people have pointed already and it seems like a blue CGI version of Pocahontas for the most part.
Does that make it bad? No! Of course not. Definitely watch it!

But still at least 4/5

I think there's a pretty huge, unexplained leap between "yeah, it has an unoriginal story" and "of course that doesn't make it bad!" That's ample reason to consider it bad.

And consider me confused by "I don't think anyone would disagree." I think participating in any discussion about this film, really, would make it clear that lots of people do. Especially now that the ooooohs and aaaaahs have subsided.