The Personal Recommendation Hall of Fame II

Tools    

Beverly Hills Cop(1984) is a fairly dated film it's very strange to watch something that feels like a TV pilot today and realize this was a major motion picture. So many times I was watching this film I kept thinking was this meant to be a movie because it feels like three episodes of Brooklyn 99 strung together. This is Eddie Murphys' weakest acting performance of his career it's really shocking to see this was made after 48 hours and Trading Places because it seemed like he took a step back.

With that said...I did enjoy the film I found the humor worked really well even though not really PC and pretty dated. Brest does a great job bringing in straight men of different variety (Jonathan Banks, Ronny Cox, and John Ashton) and they do a good job selling Murphy's act. Eddie's bits are pretty great even if they don't really make a whole lot of sense when you give the film a degree of scrutiny but in the end I would tepidly recommend this film.

There no other kind of humor I'd want.

Sly Stallone was set to play the lead but he was trying to steer the movie more into action territory.

I've not seen Beverly Hills Cop, not planning on it either. It doesn't sound like anything I'd love, though I doubt I'd hate it.
It depends how much you like prime Eddie Murphy. I love prime Eddie Murphy and think that was one of the best things about the 80s.

It depends how much you like prime Eddie Murphy. I love prime Eddie Murphy and think that was one of the best things about the 80s.
I'm neutral on Eddie Murphy movies, but I think I've only seen one? He was great on SNL though.

I'm neutral on Eddie Murphy movies, but I think I've only seen one? He was great on SNL though.
48 Hours, Trading Places, and Beverly Hills Cop are the best. After that he started to lose his edge. Still some good movies but not the same. I think Trading Places is practically a masterpiece.

Saw Beverly Hills Cop in the theater when it was released and the crowd loved it. I can only think of 2 or 3 other movies that I saw in a theater that got as many big laughs as BHC. As far as his other films Trading Places does nothing for me, 48 hours is very good and The Golden Child is a guilty pleasure. I've heard good things about Life but haven't seen it yet.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Ghost World

I could see myself loving this film had I seen it ten years ago. It has that indie feel that you just don't get anymore and the creative team behind the film seems to have a deep love for the source material. Ghost World is an odd film that pairs two unlikable leads and tries to get you to like them by the end. Mission failed. That's not to say I didn't like the film, on the contrary, I liked it very much, but I was never on board with these two girls as decent people.

Finding yourself in this world is a tough task and one that we ask of young people a lot. The moment in the film when the girls are looking around at the other classmates during the dance and talking about how they will never see these people again got to me a little. It made me think about the people I used to see every day of my life and now...I don't even check up on them on facebook. Whoever you are when you're a kid is different when you're a teenager and is different when you're an adult and is different when you're considered 'elderly'. People come and go in our lives, we have to figure out who the important ones are if we want to keep them. Enid and Rebecca are cynical outcasts, but they seemed to be perfect for each other, yet their friendship seems to end as well. People move on.

I felt bad for Buscemi's character. He's a depressed and socially awkward guy who is pranked on early in the film, but Enid for some reason feels a connection with him and they become friends. Cue awkward sex later on and the film takes on multiple depressing tones. I was shocked to read people's take on the end being that she committed suicide. Despite all the hard and terrible things that happen in her life, she always seemed like a strong-willed person defying the system. This character is brought to life wonderfully by Thora Birch. Steve Buscemi nails the pathetic lonely and desperate vibe that makes Seymore likeable...to a degree.

Ghost World was fun, it was smart with a memorable soundtrack. At almost 2 hrs, I felt like the film could use a bit a trimming here and there, but I'm pleased to have finally seen it.

Suspect's Reviews

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Question to @cricket and whoever nominated Allegro non Troppo for me:

Am I supposed to watch the whole film or only the segment that is on the Animation List. The whole film is not in any of the Lists.

Eitherway is fine by me cause I've already watched the first part (including that segment)

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Allegro non Troppo (1977)

An italian, grow-up, and in my opinion, better version of Disney's Fantasia.
I liked this so much more than I thought I would! The live action scenes are funny and surprisingly gritty, and the animation segments are really well done. The musical selection and perfomance is miles away from the one in Fantasia and the animation, even if not as detailed as Disney's, works in so many more levels!

Bolero's is obviously a big highlight, with a famous piece of music and some beautiful animation that grows into a social critique, but my favourite was the one after, Sibelius' Sad Waltz. Then there's a cute Vivaldi and a funny take on Stravinsky's Bird of Fire.
The last segment, with all the endings was really funny too, as dozens of final cadences from famous pieces of orchestral music were played.

A really good pick and a nice way to start this HoF! Thanks Miss Vicky!

Really glad to see you enjoyed it, @neiba !

I wasn't sure what to pick for you at first, but then I remembered you're an opera singer and figured you'd at least appreciate the music. Happy to see I was right!

@TheUsualSuspect

I'm a little disappointed that you didn't like Ghost World more, but I'm happy to see you liked it overall. I'm not sure that we're supposed to see Enid and Rebecca as particularly decent people, just ones that are believable. It's a big favorite for me. I really relate to Enid's feelings of alienation.

@Citizen Rules

I don't think I ever said, but Ghost was my pick for you. I thought you might appreciate the romance aspect, but oh well. I had no idea you dislike Demi Moore.

@Citizen Rules

I don't think I ever said, but Ghost was my pick for you. I thought you might appreciate the romance aspect, but oh well. I had no idea you dislike Demi Moore.
It was a good guess for me and I'm still glad to have watched it...I don't know why, but I've never liked Demi Moore much.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Really glad to see you enjoyed it, @neiba !

I wasn't sure what to pick for you at first, but then I remembered you're an opera singer and figured you'd at least appreciate the music. Happy to see I was right!

@TheUsualSuspect

I'm a little disappointed that you didn't like Ghost World more, but I'm happy to see you liked it overall. I'm not sure that we're supposed to see Enid and Rebecca as particularly decent people, just ones that are believable. It's a big favorite for me. I really relate to Enid's feelings of alienation.

@Citizen Rules

Ghost World can easily be a
on repeat viewings.

I watched Ghost World a couple of years back on Miss Vicky's rec and I absolutely loved it.

I also liked Allegro Non Troppo, and may have even contributed to its placement on the animation list.

Good job guys!

Django (1966)

So I guess this was like another Yojimbo/Man with no Name type ripoff. It's tough for me to really dissect what I saw with this film as it is both incredibly violent (which I like) and also incredibly silly and unoriginal(which I don't). Django is the story of a Union officer carrying a coffin around the dessert in the west because...dehydration doesn't exist in Spaghetti westerns. We then go from action set piece to action set piece where the characters exist for the sole purpose of moving the plot along. Nothing really makes sense for the player involved in the story and it ends on a bittersweet note.

I liked it, it was fine, the production design and score were exceptional the performances where fairly terrible. Franco Nero does a bad Clint Eastwood impersonation throughout the film and that pretty much knocks the film down from a possible 4 stars to 2 stars for me.