Does anyone think that Connery never had a good one after his first 3

Tools    

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Connery is my favorite Bond, but it seems to me that he never had a good Bond movie after Goldfinger, unfortunately. Does anyone else think so, or no?

Oh okay. Well it seems that for me, after Goldfinger, the next two, the Bond girls were really flat and were not given as much to work with. Especially in You Only Live Twice, which has arguably, possibly the two flattest Bond girls in the series, the two Japanese ones. They have no chemistry Bond. I don't think it was the actress' fault, just the script.

Connery's last two comebacks after, the Bond girls were not as bad, but the action and spectacle was really lacking in those two the most, compared to what came before in the Connery ones.

You Only Live Twice didn't do so well for me last time I saw it. Have to agree on the Bond girls and the chemistry part, possibly my least fav Connery Bond.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
You Only Live Twice didn't do so well for me last time I saw it. Have to agree on the Bond girls and the chemistry part, possibly my least fav Connery Bond.
I love You Only Live Twice, my favorite Bond movie.

Could probably have done without making Never Say Never Again.

best opening (they kill him in the first five minutes)

best Blofield (Pleasence)
best set pieces(that ninja assault scene, the trap doors, the Rockets)

best song
best travel scenes (60's Japan)

Oh okay, so would you say that You Only Live Twice is your favorite one then?

I am a huge fan. But if I look back at his career, I wouldn't say any of his movies are masterpieces. I am not an admirer of the Bond franchise to begin with. He is a good actor, but I have to say did he really get to express himself in a movie. And then the League of Extraordinary Gentleman happened. Yikes!

Sorry I really worded my title wrong. I meant say Connery didn't have any good Bond movies after Goldfinger, not movies in general. That's my mistake.

However, outside of Bond, I do think he's had a few good movies after, yes.

He is one of those guys, who made me a fan with his persona rather than his body of work. And that accent is sweeeeeet!

I agree with you, however i liked you only live twice and he was still looking good shape wise for the role i guess but after that no...bad films

Japan was such an amazing setting. Especially for audiences of the time who probably hadn't heard a great deal about it post WW2 and to see this completely different world not much more than 20 years later.

There's nowhere like Japan, I think it's such a unique Bond movie.

Nah we don't, there's like 5 really good ones, 5 fairly good ones, 5 OK and about 10 piles of ****.

Well as far as You Only Live Twice goes, the locations are really good, but I feel like they shove Japanese culture down your throat too much, talking about things like how Japanese men don't have hair on their chests, compared to British, or Bond taking his "first Japanese bath!" as Tiger Tanaka puts it, or the fake wedding Bond went through which didn't have anything to do with the plot, and how he wore a Japanese disguise that looks terrible.

At least with other Bond movies, they do not shove so much culture down your throat, and they make it more about the mission and stick to that.

So I felt those things really detracted from the movie for me, but it does have good action scenes, and possibly the best cinematography of the entire series, so it gets points for that.

I would put it as his 4th best, probably, after the first 3.

You Only Live Twice is my favourite of the Connery Bond films. But maybe because Goldfinger is held in such high regard by people it merely seems like the following bond films aren't as good.

I really enjoyed Thunderball and You Only Live Twice. Diamonds are Forever is his weakest film but still enjoyable. But I'm a big Bond fan so I'm probably more forgiving than a dispassionate viewer. (Never Say Never Again is not an official Bond film and therefore does not exist.)

Nah we don't, there's like 5 really good ones, 5 fairly good ones, 5 OK and about 10 piles of ****.

Blasphemy! There's no such thing as a **** Bond film, just varying degrees of greatness.

And none of the Connery ones are truly bad but the last four of his are maybe just okay only in a lot of ways I think.