R.I.P John Inman

Tools    

JOHN INMAN, star of TV sitcom
, died in hospital early this morning. The actor, 71, passed away in St Mary’s Hospital in Paddington, west London, at 4am after being ill for some time.
John's manager, Phil Dale said: “John, through his character Mr Humphries of Are You Being Served? was known and loved throughout the world.
“He was one of the best and finest pantomime dames working to capacity audiences throughout Britain.
“John was known for his comedy plays and farces which were enjoyed from London’s West End throughout the country and as far as Australia, Canada and the USA.”
Inman’s long-term partner, Ron Lynch, is said to be “devastated” at his death.
The actor suffered from hepatitis A and had been taken into hospital for tests after problems with his liver.
It was revealed that he had the disease after it forced him to cancel the opening of a pantomime in London on December 9, 2004.
Hepatitis A is an inflammation of the liver caused through eating contaminated food, which the star believed was how he came to have the virus.
It was initially hoped he would be able to return to the pantomime, in which he was due to play Wanda the Cook in Dick Whittington, before Christmas 2004, but he never worked again.
The virus is highly infectious and symptoms include fever, loss of energy and jaundice.
There is no treatment except bed rest and the debilitating symptoms can often take several months to clear, but it is deemed less serious than the hepatitis B and hepatitis C viruses.
Mr Dale said at the time that it was “not a serious illness” and that Inman was expected to be “fine”.
The television actor’s health problems in 2004 were the second scare in three years, after he spent three days in intensive care in 2001.
Then 65, he was admitted with breathing difficulties to St Mary’s, the same hospital where he was later to die.
After three days in intensive care, he was given the all-clear and moved to a general ward.
Inman played camp salesman Mr Humphries in the comedy series Are You Being Served? for a decade from the mid-1970s to the mid-1980s.
He starred alongside Wendy Richard, who went on to play Pauline Fowler in EastEnders, as well as Molly Sugden, Frank Thornton and Trevor Bannister.
The actor had been with Mr Lynch for 35 years. The celebrated a civil partnership ceremony at London’s Westminster Register Office on December 23, 2005.
Tributes have been paid to Inman today.
Fellow panto dame Danny La Rue, 79, said he was devastated to hear of the death of his friend of more than 40 years.
He said: "He was such a fantastic and inventive actor, and he could play serious roles too. He wasn’t all about that flippant catchphrase ‘I’m free!’ But that’s what made him.
"When that show first started he was just one of the salesmen, but they soon saw a star.
"He is utterly irreplaceable. The world has lost a star and I have lost a dear friend."
Wendy Richard said today: "It was with great sadness I learned today of my dear friend John Inman’s passing.
"I will always remember John in the good days. He was always immaculate, and was one of the funniest and most inventive actors I have ever worked with.
"Our days in the shop together were so much fun. We were all a great team."
Fellow Are You Being Served? cast member Nicholas Smith, who played store manager Mr Rumbold, said: "He had a wonderful precision of movement and his comedy timing was impeccable."
The BBC’s head of comedy, Jon Plowman, said: "He was one of our great comedy actors who was responsible for one of the best loved TV sit-com characters of the last 40 years.
"This is a sad loss and our thoughts are with his partner."
(Taken from thesun.co.uk)

John Inman's character as Mr. Humphries has always been my favorite of the Are You Being Served cast. His comedic timing was impeccable! I was going to change my avatar but I think I'll leave it for a while, in his honor.

The People's Republic of Clogher
I once shook the man's hand...though as I once shook Tom O'Conner's hand, that's probably not much of an achievement.

Rest in peace John, 71 is far too early to be taken.

Sir Sean Connery's love-child
A man who truely understood the double entendre, at least Benny Hill and Sid James will have some good company up there, oooooh er, I'm freee!
RIP John.

Toga, toga, toga......

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?