Movie Question For The Ladies

Tools    

the best social commentary on women
What do you mean by this?

Are you using the conventional meaning of "social commentary" as in you want films that highlight challenges that women face in whichever society they live?

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses

Are you using the conventional meaning of "social commentary" as in you want films that highlight challenges that women face in whichever society they live?

Yes, but since you brought it up, is there another meaning of social commentary you were thinking of? It might be just as good or better.

I have my own idea of some very good movies centered around women, but I'm curious what women think, since I'm looking from the outside.

Duplicate Account (locked)

i think he also means "uniquely woman", as in something that woman would relate to as that awkward set of adjectives/nouns that everyone perceives them as...

Yes, but since you brought it up, is there another meaning of social commentary you were thinking of? It might be just as good or better.
No, just making sure I understood what you were looking for. I'll think on it.

Not that I ever thought about it, but Christine (2016) imo (I know I always bring it up). It’s funny that, as a woman, I really can’t think of any, and I’ve been at it for about 7 minutes.

While I think that many challenges faced by women can also be faced by either other groups (ie women and racial minorities can face hiring discrimination) or by men (ie men can be victims of objectification or sexual violence), here are some films that I think offer social commentary on issues that are definitely linked to the gender of the main character (though that might not always be the main point of the film):

Lilya 4-Ever
The Naked Kiss
Far from the Madding Crowd
Orlando
Jeanne Dielman
The Fits
Portrait of a Lady on Fire
Osama
Visiting Hours
The Second Mother
Wasp
Revenge
Polytechnique
Mustang
Four Months, Three Weeks, Two Days

While I wouldn't call it "great", the recent horror film Lucky had some interesting things to say about violence toward women and the social response to it.

Separate list for documentaries:
Girl Rising
Domestic Violence
The Invisible War

Duplicate Account (locked)
oh damn, there's also that movie that came out in the past 5-10 years (and i was thinking about it because i think about demographics/identity at times...) that has a dystopian feel to it, about gender, and the main character is a woman...the pictures i saw kinda remind me of the matrix, but if someone could bring that up again i'll be sure to write down the title...people were talking about it here i think this past summer...she had a shaved head and she was wearing kinda a simple brown shirt...

The trick is not minding

Lilya 4-Ever
The Naked Kiss
Orlando
Jeanne Dielman
The Fits
Osama
Visiting Hours
The Second Mother
Wasp
Revenge
Polytechnique
Mustang

Separate list for documentaries:
Girl Rising
Domestic Violence
The Invisible War

This looks like a fairly solid list.
I’ve seen Portrait of a Lady on Fire, The Invisible War (great Doc), Polytechnique and Revenge and all are good.

I have Osama, Orlando, and Mustang saved to watch soon as well.

Would Malena fit? That’s a personal favorite of mine as well.
Maybe The Childrens Hour? I’ll be watching that soon as well, since I have saved and I can’t pass up a film directed by Wyler and stars Audrey Hepburn and Shirley MacLaine.

Would Malena fit? That’s a personal favorite of mine as well.
Maybe The Childrens Hour? I’ll be watching that soon as well, since I have saved and I can’t pass up a film directed by Wyler and stars Audrey Hepburn and Shirley MacLaine.
Thanks!

I haven't seen either of those. Malena has vaguely been on my watchlist for a while now. I've been passively interested in The Children's Hour after the discussion about it in The Celluloid Closet.

The films I listed above are all ones I'd rate 10/10 or 9/10. I didn't look through my 8/10 films yet, but there are probably a few more good ones in there.

While I think that many challenges faced by women can also be faced by either other groups (ie women and racial minorities can face hiring discrimination) or by men (ie men can be victims of objectification or sexual violence), here are some films that I think offer social commentary on issues that are definitely linked to the gender of the main character (though that might not always be the main point of the film):

Lilya 4-Ever
The Naked Kiss
Orlando
Jeanne Dielman
The Fits
Osama
Visiting Hours
The Second Mother
Wasp
Revenge
Polytechnique
Mustang
How about Silence Of The Lambs, Batman Returns, or Fury Road, though?

How about Silence Of The Lambs, Batman Returns, or Fury Road, though?
In terms of challenges faced by women in society? Honestly, I'd have to rewatch the first two (which I haven't seen in well over a decade) and think about it through that lens. As for Fury Road, it's not really a film I think of as commenting on challenges faced by women so much as film that does a really good job of creating a compelling action film where the most satisfying character arcs come from embracing things that would traditionally be considered more "feminine" values. I mean, the women in the film are literally used as breeding stock, but Max's body is also commodified as a glorified blood bag. It's a dehumanizing social situation for anyone who isn't at the very top.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Does Set It Off (1996) count?

Does Set It Off (1996) count?
Does it?

Just ask yourself, "What do I think the film is trying to say about women or women's place in society?". If you have an answer to that question, go ahead and share those thoughts.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I would second a lot of the films Takoma listed, especially Portrait of a Lady on Fire, Orlando and 4 Weeks, 3 Months, 2 Days.

Some others to consider:

A Taste of Honey (1961)
Cries and Whispers (1972)
Thelma and Louise (1991)
Wadjda (2012)
Suffragette (2015)