The Brave Little Weeman Returns!
The Chinaman is not the issue here, Weeman
You're obviously not a golfer.

Reviews

You're obviously not a golfer.

You're entering a world of pain.

The Brave Little Weeman Returns!
Thread side-lined.
Thread overlooked because reciting The Big Lebowski is the ultimate source of happiness in life.

Trying to get back on topic though, Gladiator was a film I hated on first viewing, and then quite liked the second time. Maybe I was in a bad mood the first time? I don't know. Some of the lines are over-the-top, but that's ok because I was entertained.

Finished here. It's been fun.
On 2nd viewing I realized that Blade Runner is the greatest sci-fi film ever. Yeah I've seen 2001 and all those other films as well.

Fight Club, I thought was a pretty decent thriller. But after several viewings, it's become my favorite movie.

I dont know why but i have no urge at all to rewatch Fight Club. I think the film is good but I did not love it that much watching it. I usually love dark,neo-noir films like that but I just didn't love Fight Club.

On the outside looking in.
Ashamed to say I nearly fell asleep my first time watching BLADE RUNNER. Seen it many times since, and it's one of my all-time favourites now.

Killer Joe

On first viewing I thought it was decent, but wanted it to be great. It had some great elements such as McConaughey's performance and the stylistic elements/cinematography that created a fantastic dark atmosphere, but I wasn't sure on the ending, I'm not talking about 'the scene' but the whole moronic family and comedic element to it. I have seen the film two times since and I like it a hell of a lot more now, and appreciate the balance better. A great film.

Ashamed to say I nearly fell asleep my first time watching BLADE RUNNER. Seen it many times since, and it's one of my all-time favourites now.
Haha, that happened to me too, both bith Blade Runner and 2001. And they're both awesome. Just don't watch them A.M.

Blade Runner does have that effect on people. 1st watch is nothing special. But after what I call the "sinking in effect" you begin to appreciate and in my case love the movie. The world Blade Runner makes is so vivd and dreamlike, I literally dreamt about that film. Now Blade Runner:The Final Cut is my favorite film of all-time.

A few movies I have appreciated more on the second viewing include:

Taxi Driver - At first I was put off by the slow pace of the movie. I still thought it was okay, and felt I would watch it again later. After the second viewing I liked. On the third viewing I liked it even more, and so forth until it is now my favorite film of all time.

Dr Strangelove - Similar situation as Taxi Driver. Did not really know what to make of the movie at first, but subsequent viewings, and learning the history of the film has not only allowed me to appreciate the humor, but also made this one of my all time favorite movies.

Eraserhead - Had not idea what the hell happened when I watched it the first time, but the second viewing was even better, and I am slowly putting the pieces together on what the movie is about.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
Most Wong Kar-Wai films haven't hit me until the second viewing, specifically In the Mood for Love and Days of Being Wild. His narratives are typically very fractured and impulsive, so the first go round is usually spent following the plot as tightly as possible. The second time, all of the stylistic flourishes wash over me and the film really evolves into something more than the first time.

Shrek 4ever After
Freddy vs Jason
Legend of Zorro
X-Men the Last Stand
Alien Resurrection
Jaws 2
Return of the Jedi
Jingle All the Way

I've posted here before, but I recently re-watched Faces and I loved it quite a lot more on second viewing.

When I posted my initial thoughts about the film in my Cassavetes thread, I believe I originally gave the film a
. I admired the intensity of the performances and Cassavetes' efforts to plumb into the depths of suburban marriage, but ultimately I was put off by its grainy, hyper-realistic style of shooting and thought that A Woman Under the Influence was ultimately more successful in dissecting how people interact.

My whole problem, I suppose, was that I assumed Faces and Woman were basically about the same thing: middle age, married relationships in American suburbia. Though this is true, it's a pretty basic reading of both films and almost certainly contributed to my dissatisfaction with Faces after being blown away by Woman. The latter film deals more with the need for sustaining normality and conformity, and the question of whether two different people with conflicting and equally valid views of society can remain in love. Faces, on the other hand, is more focused on how we all hide parts of ourselves from others, how stifling this can become, and how, if at all, we can tear away these masks and find true fulfillment. Of the two, the themes in Faces are perhaps even more universal.

Perhaps more prepared for what I was getting into, this time I did not find the shooting style of Faces to be tedious but rather instrumental in portraying both the central concerns of the film and of Cassavetes' philosophy; he is seeking to portray people as they truly are, so of course he will shoot in the most realistic way possible. The extensive use of close-ups also helps put the audience right 'into the film.'

Faces is full of great moments. For me, one of the most memorable is the scene where the husband and wife, Richard and Maria, joke about the illicit sex life of one of their friends; their laughter is infectious, but it's also nervous and uncomfortable, portraying their mutual realization that their own lives aren't much different or better. Another favorite is the scene in the nightclub, which is a brilliant exercise in atmosphere and immersion into the situation of its characters. A truly great film and perhaps my new favorite Cassavetes movie, though I'll have to verify that with another viewing.