All-Time Posts Record

Tools    

Hello Flick Fans,

Well, let it be known that on December 30th, 2000, this site had it's [red]SECOND[/red] highest post total of all time for a single day.

I don't have the exact date with me last time, but the all-time record is 89 posts, I believe. Just yesterday (the 30th) had 74 - pretty close!

Thanks to everyone for contributing - the boost was likely the result of crash and Zeph joining recently and becoming active members.

I would like to personally welcome both of these new posts: I hope you'll stick around, and make us as much a part of your movie experience as cheap butter and kids kicking your seat.

Also: let it be known that if either of you have ANY suggestion or complaint or any kind, feel free to start a thread here, or email me directly: [email protected].

Thanks!

MovieForums Extra
Thanks for the welcome Commish, I'm sure we'll both stick around for a long time to come!

Actually, if you haven't already realised, crash and I have a conspiracy to become top ranking members of the forum and then to take over control! I mean with such a forum, who wouldn't want to!!

Cheers!

Hehe - thanks very much. You to sure are going nuts - you, Ollie, and crash all seem to be holding new conversations everyday in which the 3 of you just go around in a circle - I'll do my best to squeeze in.

Glad to have you all here! Don't worry: when we expand, your contributions will not be overlooked!

MovieForums Extra
I know, it sure does seem that way, but at least other people are getting enticed to squeeze in themselves

By the way Chris, the thing that makes movieforums a good site is it's relatively small community, so you sort of get to know all the people, their likes/dislikes (as far as movies go) and their posting habits. I think expanding the forums is a good idea, but if the forums get too large they might loose some of that "community spirit", sort of like small towns vs. New York

I totally understand what you mean Zeph - I like, for example, the site SlashDot.org, but the discussions there are so huge, I would feel insignificant, and would never start posting their regularly.

I'll do everything I can to try to keep that feeling going. But, of course, I still want a lot of people posting here.

A solution may be to allow each person to only have their "Favorite" forums show up, so they can get to know the people who frequent the same forums, because although we only have, what, 6 forums now?, we'll be expanding, and such things might help keep the community atmosphere in place.

MovieForums Extra
That sounds like a good idea...

By the way, it's official now, this site has definitely put me off from posting at Deja.com, for the exact same reason I mentioned! It's too big, too complicated, takes too long...it's just not worth it I went to it for the first time in ages today, don't think I'll be going back soon (sorry about the signature thing, I'll figure out another way to advertise this site). Oh yeah, and no one welcomed me personally

Which just gave me a good idea! Like I said, I'm on holidays now, but as soon as I get back to my comp in Sydney, I'll design an ad for MovieForums, I've got some links to some sites that will allow me to advertise for free, and it should attract some people...I know a good thing when I see one, why not make it better

MovieForums Extra

Yeah, of course I'm cool with it, that was the whole idea in the first place! Oh yeah, and as far as making money from ads goes, I'd be happy to click on a banner once a day to get the money rolling in, I'm sure the others wouldn't mind as well...

I might take ya'll up on that.

It would, however, be temporary. Forum sites are not usually accepted into CPM ad networks - in laymen's terms, a CPM ad network is one that pays you something like $1 or $2 for every 1,000 times the banner is loaded - most forum sites can only find sponsors on a per-click basis.

The goal, though, is to put some news and reviews up so it's not ONLY a forum site, and as such, we can get a CPM provider.

MovieForums Extra

Actually, I think that sounds sort of crap...think about it, one or two dollars for every 1000 impressions isn't all that much, whereas per-click sites offer up to $0.20 per original click per day...so to earn those two dollars takes ten clicks, as compared to 1000!

Well, the thing about it is that it's more reliable - 9 times out of 10 (if not more), it's more profitable to go by CPM - very few people click on banner ads!

Just so ya'll know, this site averages a little 500-600 pageviews a day, so, using a CPM provider now, I'd make something like $20 a month, which would pretty much cover any costs incurred.

Actually Chris I find it a lot easier to make money through commissions and per-click deals with my forum than my site, because the people on there trust me and are happy to do that little bit to keep it moving. For example, if you had a link here to Amazon a particular vid, if you recommended it then I'd happily click through there to get it .

the boost was likely the result of crash and Zeph joining recently and becoming active members.
*ahem*

Sorry! I think you'd joined beforehand. My bad

I'll definitetly be posting links to recommended videos at some point, with links in articles and reviews. All on Amazon, of course.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
I just got Photoshop 6.0 so I'll be making you a new logo. Not that you have to use it, but I'll put it on my site in place of that old crappy logo I made. What I'm going to do is fade in pictures of famous scenes from movies, so it may take a while to find all the pictures. If I do it at all.

It may even turn out to be a flash that displays scenes from famous movies. That wouldn't be too bad actually...

MovieForums Extra

Don't worry Commish, I got a hunch that the record will fall very quickly !

It sounds very cool! In my opinion, it will benefit everyone

Anybody fancy a game of Spot The Future Spammer?