Stephen King's Doctor Sleep

Tools    

‘Doctor Sleep’ First Trailer: ‘The Shining’ Sequel Torments Ewan McGregor

"The Haunting of Hill House" director Mike Flanagan channels Kubrick in the terrifying first look at the Stephen King adaptation.

Few movies carry the weight of expectations this year as “Doctor Sleep,” the upcoming Stephen King adaptation from horror maestro Mike Flanagan. The film is a sequel to “The Shining” and casts Ewan McGregor as an adult Danny Torrence. Considering Stanley Kubrick’s 1980 “Shining” adaptation is considered one of the best horror movies ever made, there’s a lot of pressure on “Doctor Sleep” to deliver terror later this year.

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/06/do...el-1202149693/

Book was really good, though King movies can be very hit or miss. Trailer is captivating enough for me.

Check out the latest entry in Jack Nicholson's filmography:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_N...on_filmography
VERY interesting... I wonder if Nicholson made a live cameo, or whether the film simply used a cut from The Shining as a flashback?

If it's a live cameo, perhaps he'll consent to more roles..

Can't wait to see this. So far have watched every novel/book turned movie of his. There are of course hits and misses but overall enjoyable.

Damn, nobody went and saw this according to box office numbers. Tis a shame...

I'm watching this tomorrow night.

I wasn't expecting this movie to be a big box office hit. I doubt many people today, especially the younger movie-going audience, even know about The Shining or who Stephen King is.

I still predict the movie will pick up a whole bunch of nominations come award season.
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

A bucket of anxiety
We were thinking of going to the movies with my brother in law today so we were looking at Doctor Sleep and I informed my husband that I never saw The Shining. So we rented it on YouTube. I must ask: Why is it so "great?"

We were thinking of going to the movies with my brother in law today so we were looking at Doctor Sleep and I informed my husband that I never saw The Shining. So we rented it on YouTube. I must ask: Why is it so "great?"
What did you dislike about it? I dont think I can really speak to the full goodness of it since it debuted before I was even born, but even watching it today gives me the chills. The maddening tension that builds in that movie is tremendous

A bucket of anxiety
What did you dislike about it? I dont think I can really speak to the full goodness of it since it debuted before I was even born, but even watching it today gives me the chills. The maddening tension that builds in that movie is tremendous
I just think the "tension" is brought about by the insane music. It's the music that does most of the work, accompanied by loud, in your face imagery of obvious symbolism. The characters aren't characters at all. I'm sure it's been said many times but Nicholson is who is he is so you know his character is going to go insane and if you've seen a movie before you know when. And like Jack, the other two are one note throughout the entire film so it's very difficult to relate and care for them. And overall and kill me if you have to, it's really...really....BORING. If I must elaborate, if you look past the obscene music there is nothing that is actually going on. "Oh, look they're in the maze. Are they gonna get lost? No? Okay. Oh, Jack had a nightmare, is he gonna go nuts yet? Not yet? Okay. Oh, the kid is being weird....what else is new?"

I just think the "tension" is brought about by the insane music. It's the music that does most of the work, accompanied by loud, in your face imagery of obvious symbolism. The characters aren't characters at all. I'm sure it's been said many times but Nicholson is who is he is so you know his character is going to go insane and if you've seen a movie before you know when. And like Jack, the other two are one note throughout the entire film so it's very difficult to relate and care for them. And overall and kill me if you have to, it's really...really....BORING. If I must elaborate, if you look past the obscene music there is nothing that is actually going on. "Oh, look they're in the maze. Are they gonna get lost? No? Okay. Oh, Jack had a nightmare, is he gonna go nuts yet? Not yet? Okay. Oh, the kid is being weird....what else is new?"
You're entitled to your opinion, I guess.

The Shining is a psychological thriller/horror classic. Stanley Kubrick's distinctive style of directing and Nicholson's performance, not to mention the music score, are the highlights of the film.

I bet nobody who watched the film realized that the actor playing Jack Torrance, the part played by Jack Nicholson in The Shining, in Doctor Sleep is actually Henry Thomas- yes, the same Henry Thomas who played Elliot in E.T. Extra Terrestrial.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
I bet nobody who watched the film realized that the actor playing Jack Torrance, the part played by Jack Nicholson in The Shining, in Doctor Sleep is actually Henry Thomas- yes, the same Henry Thomas who played Elliot in E.T. Extra Terrestrial.
I had no idea. He did a great job, IMO. Both characters were done very well I think.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I liked Doctor Sleep. Felt enough of a stand-alone movie with just enough nods to the The Shining.

Suspect's Reviews