The Shining

→ in
Tools    

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I assume @meatwadsprite won't mind me posting this, but he put up a video about The Shining (his favorite film) a few weeks ago (note: some language):
That ws great. I especially like the attention to the score.

The shining sequel coming in 2019

I assume @meatwadsprite won't mind me posting this, but he put up a video about The Shining (his favorite film) a few weeks ago (note: some language):

WAITWAITWAITWAITWAITWAITWAIT, videogamedunkey was a member of this site?!

My life has so much more meaning!

@meatwadsprite, can I get a hello?

It's a shame The Shining has become a basis for so many ludicrous conspiracy theories, however. According to some, Kubrick filmed the fake moon landing on the set of 2001, felt horribly guilty about it and then decided to drench a film twelve years later in subtle, almost incomprehensible symbolism that apparently can be seen as Kubrick's confession the world.

Thanks for this... I am so tired of all the noise about symbolism and hidden meaning and I watched the movie documentary with some idiot saying that people love The Shining but for the wrong reasons.. give me a ****ing break... it's amazing at face value and I don't love it for the wrong reasons.

PS best opening credit in movie history... best original making of documentary (not Room 237) made by Kubricks daughter, in movie history, one of best movies in movie history..

@mathi it's not the bloody YMCA, it's a hotel and your wrong... about everything you ever said... ever.

I love The Shining too...Nicholson is brilliant and was robbed of an Oscar nomination. As for other Kubrick films, may I recommend Dr. Strangelove and Eyes Wide Shut.

I have mixed emotions about a sequel: it could be great, but yet sequels usually are not. "Mr. Milquetoast" Ewan McGregor would not be my choice of actor to play an adult Danny Torrance:

http://comicbook.com/horror/2018/06/...ewan-mcgregor/

So the release date is 1/24/20. If I'm alive, I'll see it..

I too loved The Shining, and have seen it many times since it's debut. It's a movie with almost no flaws in it IMO, and the entire cast was wonderful. Shelley Duvall especially was so good that she seemed like the real gal-- almost like a reality show. I'll never know how she got cast, but I'm delighted that she did. Nicholson, Crothers, Turkel-- all fabulous.

I never read King's novel, so I don't have any gripes about how the film compares to it..

~Doc

...I never read King's novel, so I don't have any gripes about how the film compares to it..
Neither have I, and I always say comparing movies to the book is like comparing cars to airplanes. The Shining (the movie) stands on it's own. Kubrick's imagery style is very apparent in the film, and that's why you see movies even today 'stealing' his shots.

I also liked The Shining (1997), any fans of that version?

I seem to remember that when it came out on TV. If it's the one I'm thinking of, it was pretty dreadful. But I may be mistaking it for another. Was that the one where the bushes kept moving around?

~Doc

I seem to remember that when it came out on TV. If it's the one I'm thinking of, it was pretty dreadful. But I may be mistaking it for another. Was that the one where the bushes kept moving around?

~Doc
I don't know about moving bushes, I only seen it once, decades ago. What I liked was there was more focus on the kid, who would go into some type of convulsions and communicate with a spirit or ghost.

This might just do nobody any good.
I never read King's novel, so I don't have any gripes about how the film compares to it..
The only interesting comparison to be made between the book and the movie is how it frames Jack’s descend into madness. In the novel you can clearly see King trying to acknowledge and repent previous substance abuse. He’s looking back. The movie, on the other hand, is examining the behavior. Kubrick shows the effects on the family as it happens.

You can't win an argument just by being right!

~Doc
I think the moving bushes is right in the book.

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
Watched this again after many years. It’s a great experience, a great film very enjoyable for a horror. I actually love all the exposition surrounding the overlook. It left me wanting to know more and wanting to know what really happened. What did happen lol? Clearly it’s haunted and not a mere cabin fever psychotic break. How was he present in the 1921 pic. Reincarnation seems odd coupled with the ghosts...what theories do ppl have? Interested.

As has been mentioned I think Kubrick really just uses Kings book as a basic springboard and if anything his film feels like it draws more influence from the similar French new wave film Last Year At Marienbad in terms of the way it treats its setting and the idea of characters themselves taking control of the narrative.

Found this podcast on The Shining, 37 minutes long. Did you know that this film got across the board bad reviews by film critics when it was first released?

Nicholson should have been given an Oscar for his performance.

https://www.globalplayer.com/podcasts/episodes/7DrgY3c/

Well, this podcast is about the subtle symbolism Stanley Kubrick placed in the film and the theories about what this movie is truly about.

That's some bad hat, Harry.
It's a classic. But I appreciate it's not for everyone. And like all Kubrick films, it's divisive. I think it gets better on repeat viewings. It may not be easier to give it another shot after not liking it the first time around but I think it could sway some people.

I've seen it a few times over the years and was repeatedly under-whelmed. Since it featured Kubrick and Nicholson, I could not help but be disappointed. There's nothing all that interesting in it, just a basic slasher movie with star power. It differs from Freddie Kruger mainly in that the slasher lives in the house with you, possibly possessed by something, but the something just isn't visible or obvious. It just doesn't have anything that grabs me.