Promotion For MovieForums Top 100 Horror Films

Tools    

As an example, I clicked on "An American Werewolf in London" on cricket's profile. Here's how it looks, was hoping we might have genre tags, wouldn't know how they'd be imported though

Edit: Yoda says the genre tags would come from www.themoviedb.org

Can someone remind me when the poll whereby we choose what the next countdown will be is due to take place?
Anyone got an answer for Chyp? I figured I'd just missed it, but normally a few people second an idea, people generally decide who'll run it, and then it's confirmed with a vote. There's no official process at any point, that's just what usually happens.
Before we get too far ahead of ourselves, I'd be good with a poll where we can see if this is what the forum actually wants after the Top 100 of the 1930s.

I'm not quite sure. @Yoda will have to answer that one. It was his decision.
Just because Omni did it unilaterally. Which is fine, I applaud the effort and follow-through and I thought the result was really good, I'd just made the decision earlier to require broad-based community participation.

It'll all be beside the point soon enough when I finally get custom lists up, anyway.

Before we get too far ahead of ourselves, I'd be good with a poll where we can see if this is what the forum actually wants after the Top 100 of the 1930s.
I would like to see a new MoFo Horror list since the old one only represented like 12 people - unless of course that new list is some artificially skewed thing catered to horror purists that doesn't actually represent the community as a whole anyway.

I'm not a horror fan, but I have more interest in this list than a pre-1929 list or any of the other specialty list ideas that were brought up.

You know how we can click on movies on people's profiles, and then get to that movie's "page"? It would be cool if those movie pages showed genre.

Here is a site, ihorrordb.com, that can be used to search horror titles, I like how it includes financial information for the films. Wish I knew of this before now as I enjoy looking at budgets and revenue.

I think it is at least worth discussing how tough we want to be on what we rule Horror eligible for the countdown.
I posted www.horrorpedia.com which is a great resource for horror and it got overlooked!

I posted www.horrorpedia.com which is a great resource for horror and it got overlooked!
I looked at it.

Not only are both Gremlins and Jaws included on the site as horror, but there is a picture of a gremlin and a picture of the shark on their homepage - right there alongside Jason, Leatherface, Pennywise, and others. Oh, look! What else is in that image? Why, it's Hannibal Lecter from The Silence of the Lambs.

But, you know, those aren't really horror movies.

I looked at it.

Not only are both Gremlins and Jaws included on the site as horror, but there is a picture of a gremlin and a picture of the shark on their homepage - right there alongside, Jason, Leatherface, Pennywise, and others. Oh, look! What else is in that image? Why, it's Hannibal Lecter from The Silence of the Lambs.

They are horror...there are many aspects and genres of horror.

They are horror...there are many aspects and genres of horror.
They're horror to you. They're horror to me. They're horror to a lot of people on this forum but for some ridiculous reason we're stuck here going round and round in a pointless argument about it when it could easily be decided by just letting people vote for what is horror to them.

And in the meantime, we can't actually put together a ballot or a watchlist because none of us know what is actually going to be considered acceptable.

I looked at it.

Not only are both Gremlins and Jaws included on the site as horror, but there is a picture of a gremlin and a picture of the shark on their homepage - right there alongside Jason, Leatherface, Pennywise, and others. Oh, look! What else is in that image? Why, it's Hannibal Lecter from The Silence of the Lambs.

There are movie sites and horror lists that exclude some or a mix of those movies. A site with thousands of users that I've used called Flickchart.com includes Jaws and Gremlins as horror, but not The Silence of the Lambs. That link is a ranking as voted by their thousands of members. The sites that do include certain movies don't necessarily become the authority. That's why these movies are being discussed. I honestly don't count those threee as horror, and neither do several others here, we all love horror, and that is a valid point of view. Whether or not that viewpoint will be implemented here has not been decided as of yet.

Whether or not that viewpoint will be implemented here has not been decided as of yet.
It needs to be decided so we can actually get on with the process of watching, putting together lists, and voting. This is day three. How much longer until us mere non horror-loving "movie fans" get to know if this list is going to be the community representation it should be or some bastardized thing catered to the few?

Even though I do not consider Jaws or Gremlins to be horror, it doesn't bother me for them to be allowed. The Silence of the Lambs is different, even though I understand how some people can think of it as horror. It's scary with great performances. But if Silence is allowed, don't we have to allow all similar movies like Se7en, Fatal Attraction, Dressed to Kill, Blow Out, Basic Instinct, Kiss the Girls, etc.,etc.? Any crime film with a sicko killer? I mean it's screenwriter doesn't even consider it a horror film. Pretty soon the list will look like the top 100 thrillers. Those movies will have their time. It would be great if we could all just vote for what we wanted, but we all can't be trusted. The Good the Bad and the Ugly made the action countdown. That's bullshlt and I care about the integrity of the list and the site. It's certainly not because I don't like Silence of the Lambs because I give it

There are movie sites and horror lists that exclude some or a mix of those movies. A site with thousands of users that I've used called Flickchart.com includes Jaws and Gremlins as horror, but not The Silence of the Lambs. That link is a ranking as voted by their thousands of members. The sites that do include certain movies don't necessarily become the authority. That's why these movies are being discussed. I honestly don't count those threee as horror, and neither do several others here, we all love horror, and that is a valid point of view. Whether or not that viewpoint will be implemented here has not been decided as of yet.
Yah know... to be honest... any website is someone's opinion... just remember this.

It needs to be decided so we can actually get on with the process of watching, putting together lists, and voting. This is day three. How much longer until us mere non horror-loving "movie fans" get to know if this list is going to be the community representation it should be or some bastardized thing catered to the few?
Look in the mirror and ensure that you don't bastardize it with a reckless play for control.

As a prior host yourself, take care with your behavior.

That's my message to you.

Look in the mirror and ensure that you don't bastardize it with a reckless play for control.
I'm requesting less control, not more of it. I'm also requesting that a decision get made so that we can get on with the actual list.

Also, you do not get to dictate my behavior. As someone who has previously been issued what was supposed to be a permanent ban, you are in no position to tell others how they should behave.

I'm also still awaiting an answer to my question about how long it's going to be until a decision is made. As host, it's your job to give an answer to such questions.

Taking a lot of implied criticism and trying to roll it into a consensus view is part of the Curator's job description. It's not for the easily riled or defensive and it will necessarily involve absorbing a lot. That also makes it a very tough job, which I hope people will keep in mind when voicing concerns in the first place.

Anyway, passion is good; personalization or broadening of disputes is not. It's a fine line, but an important one.

Even though I do not consider Jaws or Gremlins to be horror, it doesn't bother me for them to be allowed. The Silence of the Lambs is different, even though I understand how some people can think of it as horror. It's scary with great performances. But if Silence is allowed, don't we have to allow all similar movies like Se7en, Fatal Attraction, Dressed to Kill, Blow Out, Basic Instinct, Kiss the Girls, etc.,etc.? Any crime film with a sicko killer? I mean it's screenwriter doesn't even consider it a horror film. Pretty soon the list will look like the top 100 thrillers.
The Silence of the Lambs is little borderline to me but if I'd have to be the judge of it I'd probably also say it's thriller, not horror. With serial killer films the definitions will always be slippery though as some are widely considered horror while others aren't and the choices don't always seem to follow any logic. Like practically every giallo is considered horror while majority of them a just "crime films with a sicko killer".