Which is the best film school in the world?

Tools    

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
My daughter Sarah shared this article with me a little while ago. She's currently a junior at #2 and spent a semester at #7 last year during a foreign exchange. Her roommates on campus this semester are all on foreign exchange from different parts of Europe. She's frantically shooting a movie currently and it's been fun except for the headaches of greasing the palm and paying for the necessary permits. Since I have her on a strict budget, she's had to be creative about some of this process.

Last year, she made five films but since they technically belong to USC, she hasn't been able to post them here or on YouTube. This one she can show at festivals and post on the internet, so that will be cool. Too bad she's too busy to post here much anymore.

Quentin Tarantino said something along the lines of "I didn't go to film school. I went to films."

I agree with his sentiments. James Cameron didn't go to film school, nor did Steven Spielberg.

Browsing through this page, I tend to agree:
http://www.dvguru.com/2006/10/11/10-...o-film-school/

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I agree with watching films as a first and foremost film school. That's what Sarah did and I'm mostly responsible for bombarding her with film from an early age. However, when my daughter makes it her dream to go to USC Film School, which is more difficult to get into than Harvard Law School, my wife and I are going to go into debt to make her dream come true. She certainly shows signs of talent. I tried to dissuade her at first to keep her heart from getting broken, but damned if she didn't get in.

Anyway, I posted this quote from Werner Herzog a year or two back, so many of you are new and may not have seen it.

"Actually, for some time now I have given some thought to opening a film school. But if I did start one up you would only be allowed to fill out an application form after you have walked alone on foot, let's say from Madrid to Kiev, a distance of about five thousand kilometers. While walking, write. Write about your experiences and give me your notebooks. I would be able to tell who had really walked the distance and who had not. While you are walking you would learn much more about filmmaking and what it truly involves than you ever would sitting in a classroom. During your voyage you will learn more about what your future holds than in five years at film school. Your experiences would be the very opposite of academic knowledge, for academia is the death of cinema. It is the very opposite of passion."

Predictably, Herzog is now running what amounts to film seminars where he hits up attendees for thousands of dollars. It's still a good quote though, and he's probably a legit teacher.

cdu
That link at the top appears to be old.... I tried posting a corrected one but it won't let me.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I've went to film school as well, but not a special one or anything. I feel the problem with most film schools is that if you want to be a director, they are far too interested in teaching you camera and lighting, over pulling really good performances out of actors. Or at least that seems to be how it is. Even with online tutorials, they are far more interested in lighting and cinematography, over the performances.

Both are important, but in my experience, the audiences value performance the most, so the best film school in the world should teach that to students who want to be directors.

I agree with watching films as a first and foremost film school.

Quentin Tarantino said something along the lines of "I didn't go to film school. I went to films."

I agree with his sentiments. James Cameron didn't go to film school, nor did Steven Spielberg.

Browsing through this page, I tend to agree:
http://www.dvguru.com/2006/10/11/10-...o-film-school/
James Cameron basically went to film school working for Roger Corman. The best school is experience.

I agree with watching films as a first and foremost film school.
Experience working on films is the best film school. Just watching a bunch of movies doesn't mean you can show up and be a director. Tarantino worked in the film industry for 6 years before making Resevoir Dogs.