CQ's Royal Court of Characters (50 Fav Characters)

→ in
Tools    

Kenny, don't paint your sister.
Great.. I have always loved Oddball.

BTW it would really help if you could also mention who is portraying these characters.
Good idea. I can definately do that.

Awesome idea! I will probably steal it as well

Plenty of reps, and I can't wait to see more!

Very good idea, Classicqueen. I don't know a lot of the ones you've listed so far, but I do have fond memories of Peter Boyle in Dream Team.

40. Argyle
(De'voreaux White)

"Come on, you divorced? Ya separated? She beat you up?"

Argyle is one of the few characters in Die Hard that you won't want to see thrown out a window. He throws in a lot of fun and laughs. Anybody who's gonna ask John McClane if his wife beats him up is list worthy.

39. Luke Danes
(Scott Patterson)

"Taylor, no, no, no, no, and every day from now on 'til the end of my life, I am gonna come in here and say, "Taylor, no." And when I die, I'm gonna have them freeze me next to Ted Williams, and when they find the cure to what I died of and they unfreeze me, my first words are gonna be, "How's Ted?" followed closely by, "Taylor, no."

I love all the witty dialouge of Gilmore Girls, and I think some of the best comedic moments involve Luke. Scott Patterson manages to use Luke's cynical and gritty personality to make someone very funny. When he makes a joke, it's like he's not even trying. And underneath his distant and tough outlayer, like most, he's kind of a softie.

38. "Fast Eddie" Felson
(Paul Newman)

"Money won is twice as sweet as money earned."

Paul has a way of making this character go from cool and slick straight to troubled and completely human. It's fascinating.

37. Batman
(Adam West, Michael Keaton, Val Kilmer, George Clooney, Christan Bale, and more)

"This is why Superman works alone."

I've always liked Batman since about the time I was four. He's always been my favorite superhero. I guess what makes cooler than most is he's got a dark side Not to mention, they say a hero is as good as his villian. Well, not many people face better villians than the Bat.

36. Inspector Clouseau
(Peter Sellers, Steve Martin)

[after getting his hand caught in a spinning globe] "Look at that. I have Africa all over my hand"

Clouseau quirkiness is priceless. I always have fun watching him fumble about and goof-off as he solves the mystery. Not to mention, his accent makes for some hilarious bantering. "Does your dog bite?"

35. Louie DePalma and Latka Gravas
(Danny Devito and Andy Kaufman)

"Latka Gravas: 270 lithnich make a matta.
Louie De Palma: What's a matta?
Latka Gravas: I don't know, what's the matter with you?"

While Taxi's hilarious on its own, Louie and Latka seem to be the most memorable for me. Danny Devito perfectly plays the grouchy and unpersonable Louie. Even though his jokes are almost always offensive, I can't help but laugh. It's always funny and in a way charming to watch Latka learn about American culture and the gang's way of life.

34. The Larabee Brothers
(Harrison Ford and Greg Kinnear)

"David Larrabee: She's a real woman, not a, you know.
Linus Larrabee: Transvestite?
David Larrabee: She's not a bimbo."

My little sister and I call each other David & Linus. That's how much we have in common with these characters, making them particularly true to life in my case. Harrison Ford and Greg Kinnear are completely believable as brothers despite the difference in looks. Their chemistry is terrific as well as the way they deliver the great dialouge.

33. Bonnie Lee
(Jean Arthur)

"I know I'm a fool, but I can't do anything about it."

There's something about Jean Arthur's characters that always strikes me, but Bonnie is the one that stands out to me. In a man's world in the jungles of South America, Bonnie easily holds her own and makes plenty of new friends. Despite the risk she takes falling in love with Geoff, she follows her heart.

32. Dr. Noah Praetorius
(Cary Grant)

"I consider faith properly injected into a patient as effective in maintaining life as Adrenaline, and a belief in miracles has been the difference between living and dying as often as any surgeon's scalpel."

While I LOVE Cary Grant, this is the only one of his characters that appear on this list and with good reason. This is Cary at his most charming, witty, and sharp. He's got the most interesting and impecable bedside manner of any doctor I've seen. While he seems perfect at times, we see him remarkably human as well. You have to love the way he handles his complex relationship with Debra. The character itself is introduced as a legend, and how amazing would it be if Dr. Praetorius had actually lived?

Well, it's been way too long since I've seen the originals. I've been wanting to see them for quite some time now, and every time I try... You know the story, something goes wrong. I don't find Bale all that impressive even though he does justice to the character. I liked George Clooney when I was a kid, but I'd have to say Keaton is my favorite.

I'm very close to calling Tim Burton's (even though hes a hack) version of Batman actually better than TDK just because it's closer to the spirit of the original Batman. I like Keaton too.

It's not Batman. Nolan redefined what Batman means to make it "good".

I would never dare compare Burton & Nolan's Batman..
They both took different styles & narratives.

TDK is definitely well written, but Burton's films have better characterizations.
Ledger's Joker is far superior to Nicholson's attempt, but still he is not the actual Joker we love from the comics....

Ledger's Joker was more of a Psycho/Anarcho-punk.. I would still love to see another take on Joker maybe sometime in the next few decades..

Anyone seen the Batman short film Dead End??... Now that's an awesome Joker!!!
Sadly the guy committed suicide, he was the son of the guy who used play Chekov on Star Trek.

31. Teddy Brewster
(John Alexander)

"CHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGE!"

While all this movie is hilarious, I have a soft spot for Teddy. His aloofness and sweet nature makes him all the more lovable. I love how absolutely everything relates back to Theodore Roosevelt. He never misses a thing.

30. Fred Sanford
(Redd Foxx)

"Julio: Buenos Dias, Mr. Sanford.
Fred Sanford: And beans and disease to you, too."

While this wasn't the most original show on tv and Archie Bunker is the original grouch, I've been watching Fred Sanford since I can remember thanks to my Dad. He can be rude and uptight, but sometimes that's what makes the jokes. Others just pretty funny period.

29. Vinny Gambini and Mona Lisa Vito
(Joe Pesci and Marisa Tomei)

"Vinny Gambini: I got thirty f*cking minutes to take a shower, get a new suit, get dressed and get to the f*cking courthouse!
Lisa: You f*cking shower, I'll get your f*cking suit!"

These two make such a fabulous comedic pair that I end up laughing hard every time I watch. Tomei more than earned her award for her part as the fiesty and funny Lisa, who manages to help save the day. Vinny, despite how laughable the idea is, is a very sharp legal mind.

28. Joan Wilder
(Kathleen Turner)

"Don't be ridiculous! Jack would never die without telling me!"

As a writer, often of romance and always of adventure, Joan and I share a very common interest. I honestly hope someday I'll have a similar twist of fate and have a wild adventure with all the excitement of the stories I write. She's smart enough to come up with tricks from her stories during these escapades. However, Joan's personality is much more timid than mine, and it's fun to watch her come out of her shell.

27. Linda Seton
(Katharine Hepburn)

"When two people love each other as much as you do, anything that keeps them apart must be wrong."

For about a year of my life, I was Linda Seton with all the boredom and none of the money. The strong-willed ladies of 1930s and 40s of cinema are characters that I often look up to and fit my personality well. She's just one of a few favorites I wanted on the list. Hepburn works her magic bringing all of Linda's frustration, confusion, charm, and wit to life.

26. Sallah
(John Rhys-Davies)

"Asps. Very dangerous. You go first."

Sallah's been my buddy since the first viewing. He always makes me laugh, and he's the best sidekick for Indiana Jones. It was great to bring him back for another good supporting role in Last Crusade.

25. Rose Dawson
(Kate Winslet)

"On the outside, I was everything a well brought-up girl should be. On the inside, I was screaming."

While Titanic hasn't been everybody's cup of tea, I think it would be hard to dispute that Rose was a remarkably deep and well-developed character. Kate Winslet's portrayl was great of a troubled rich girl who was having to marry for money at the orders of an overbearing mother. She deals with her mother, abusive fiancee, overwhelming responisibility and trying to find herself all at seventeen. Impressive in my book.

24. Mia Thermopolis
(Anne Hathaway)

"I don't want to rule my own country, I just want to pass the tenth grade."

Knowing the feeling of being an unpopular and somewhat misunderstood teenage girl, I find this character kind of special. After a transformation and the job of royalty introduced, Mia has to discover a lot of things about herself. It's a fun ride that may get a little more appreciation from me because it's a childhood favorite.

23. Holly McClane
(Bonnie Bedelia)

"You did when you murdered my boss. Now, everyone's looking to me. Personally, I'd pass on the job. I don't enjoy being this close to you."

I have to admit that if I'm in a hostage situation, I wanna be just like Holly McClane. She keeps her cool and even mouths off to the bad guys. In a movie practically overloading with testosterone, she holds her own as one of about two female characters in all. Her only major flaw, she leaves John McClane.

Finally! I can get back to this!

22. Dark Helmet
(Rick Moranis)

"Now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb."

He's got to hold the record for which character has made me laugh the most. Rick Moranis and Mel Brook's spoof of Darth Vader couldn't have been better. If you've seen Spaceballs though, this character rather explains himself.

21. Ellen Roark
(Sandra Bullock)

"Did I mention that my father's filthy rich and I'll be working for free?"

This headstrong law student is determined to help in a case she knows is important. She's persist, and not to mention, she never loses her gutsy personality even when she's scared. That gets a lot of points with me.

20. Holly Golightly
(Audrey Hepburn)

"I've got to do something about the way I look. I mean a girl just can't go to Sing Sing with a green face."

Audrey Hepburn made a beautiful character from the rougher Holly that Capote created. His dark undertones and mystery are still very alive but with a softer appearance. This troubled and lonely young woman is fascinating to watch as she discovers a lot about herself.

19. Hildy Johnson
(Rosalind Russell)

"Walter Burns: There's been a lamp burning in the window for ya, honey... here.
Hildy Johnson: Oh, I jumped out that window a long time ago."

Nobody can stand her ground better in a tough-talking man's land better than Hildy. She manages to resist her ex right up until the end when even the poor darling herself can't take any more. She trades quips and spares with Walter like a pro and knows how to play the newspaper game.

18. Doc Holliday
(Val Kilmer and Dennis Quaid)

"You're a good woman, but then again, you may be the antichrist."

While Kilmer's performance is superior, I liked Dennis Quaid in the role as well. I have yet to see any of the earlier versions of the character, but I really enjoyed both these performances. Holliday is often stealing the scene from Wyatt Earp with his cool gunslinging and witty remarks. He's a touchingly good friend though as well.

17. Lucas Jackson
(Paul Newman)

"Sometimes nothing can be a real cool hand."

Nobody's cooler than "Cool Hand" Luke. For me, he's one of the most inspiring characters. Whether he's trying to escape from prison or eating fifty eggs, he's determined. He never gives up even when he's losing, just like in his fight with Dragline. The heart and soul that Newman added to the character is truly special.

18. Doc Holliday
While Kilmer's performance is superior, I liked Dennis Quaid in the role as well. I have yet to see any of the earlier versions of the character, but I really enjoyed both these performances. Holliday is often stealing the scene from Wyatt Earp with his cool gunslinging and witty remarks. He's a touchingly good friend though as well.

If you love Doc Holliday, I'd advise you to not ever watch My Darling Clementine.

In that movie, Holliday was played by Victor Mature, who I love BECAUSE he was so ridiculously bad at acting but you might not find him so endearing. Clementine is no exception and when you couple the poor acting with some glaring historical inaccuracies (which don't normally bother me, but these were really bad) you end up with a very sub-par version of Doc Holliday.