Promotion For MovieForums Top 100 Horror Films

Tools    

If I submit a list it will be pretty unconventional, because I don't like horror, and the "horror" movies I do like I don't like for being scary.

Can someone remind me when the poll whereby we choose what the next countdown will be is due to take place?

Want to emphasize that this post

Based purely on the IMDb tags, here's how the on-the-edge films mentioned so far in here shake out:

Horror:
Tucker and Dale vs Evil
Shaun of the Dead
Kill List
Alien
The Thing
Psycho
Army of Darkness
Bubba Ho-Tep
Sleepy Hollow
G̶r̶e̶m̶l̶i̶n̶s̶
Fido
The Fly
Invasion of the Body Snatchers

Not Horror:
A̶l̶i̶e̶n̶s̶
T̶h̶e̶ ̶S̶i̶x̶t̶h̶ ̶S̶e̶n̶s̶e̶
G̶h̶o̶s̶t̶b̶u̶s̶t̶e̶r̶s̶
J̶a̶w̶s̶
T̶h̶e̶ ̶S̶i̶l̶e̶n̶c̶e̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶L̶a̶m̶b̶s̶

I do feel the emphasis should lean Horror, keep in mind this will be the Top 100 Horror Films.
Was not an actual ruling, it shows how the on-the-edge films mentioned by the community in the first few pages are tagged by IMDb. The only one I crossed out that was tagged was Gremlins, and even that was not an "official" ruling yet.

I think we're actually having real conversation here, but that can get heated and even look worse on paper than it actually is. And emphasize again that the reason we go through tough discussions is to create the best countdown we can.

In the meantime, here's a cool article I just read about the return of Fangoria Magazine.

The Bloody History of Fangoria,
The Magazine That Changed The Way We View Horror Movies
-written by Jake Rossen on Oct 25, 2018

Link

Some sharp passages from the column

“We wanted the most gruesome image possible without being distasteful,” Tony Timpone, who became Fangoria's editor-in-chief in 1987, tells Mental Floss. “We loved putting slasher icons on the covers. Zombie movies always sold well. We were kind of the bad boy of newsstands.”
From 1979 to 2015, the monthly magazine cast a spotlight on horror films, long considered the red light district of cinema. But Fangoria never turned its nose up at genre filmmaking: It treated both the industry and its fans with reverence, taking a measured and thorough approach to covering the directors, actors, makeup artists, and other behind-the-scenes artists who powered everything from the slasher explosion of the 1980s to the self-aware postmodern horror of the 2000s.

“Horror was exploding in all directions,” Michael Gingold, Fangoria’s former editor-in-chief, tells Mental Floss. “You had movies like [1981's] An American Werewolf in London, which won an Oscar for Best Make-Up, and [1982's] The Thing. It launched at the right time and became a force in covering horror.”

By its seventh issue, Fangoria had found its focus and its audience—one underserved by traditional movie magazines. “No other magazine was covering horror like Fangoria,” Gingold says. Famous Monsters of Filmland—the first major horror magazine, which debuted in 1958—was more of an earnest look at the Universal-style monster icons, but it was largely written for a juvenile audience. Fangoria, Gingold says, “got into the nuts and bolts of filmmaking. It would cover Tom Savini movies.”
Savini, who rose to prominence with his work on Dawn of the Dead and Friday the 13th, was a horror makeup master. Along with other effects experts like Rob Bottin (The Fog, The Thing) and Rick Baker (An American Werewolf in London, Thriller), Fangoria’s coverage made them celebrities. “Savini basically became a rock star of horror,” Gingold says. “They became as big a name as the actors or directors.”
Like the most durable horror villains, Fangoria's also coming back from the dead. This month marks the resurrection of its as a quarterly print publication under the leadership of film company Cinestate, which bought the brand in early 2018 and plans to release films under the Fangoria banner

Along with energizing enthusiasm for the horror films, MovieForums members should be inspired to talk about the films on here even better than Fangoria does, naturally.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	560144-andrew_c_wood.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	49851  

Slight change of subject... I offered @Nostromo87 some help with graphics, but he never got back to me.
I had a pretty cool idea for them.
I love doing graphics too, but I have a few ideas that wouldn't shut you out, such as guest presenters for films on the countdown. For people who like putting together graphics. I'd negotiate with those who are interested for which films they would present.

An idea in development.

can we nominate this thread for the countdown
The Top 100 Horror Films should feel like a horror movie, that hits me as a positive.

Can someone remind me when the poll whereby we choose what the next countdown will be is due to take place?
Anybody?

Go let Sexy Celebrity control your account again. Then there would be something interesting to read.
I think the problem with this "countdown" is that you hired the wrong host!

Let @TheUsualSuspect host this thing! @Nostromo87 can do the graphics.

Suspect is a horror God. He certainly knows how to scare me.

Welcome to the human race...
Eff that, like we need another delay on the Chinese Democracy of MoFo threads that is Suspect's second Top 100.

And by the way, @Nostromo87....

Gremlins is horror.

It was covered by Fangoria magazine in the '80s.

In fact, Gremlins is not much different from Troll 2.

I presume any fillum with a steamroller will count, right?

Honestly, I think people should nominate what they want. If nonody else feels the same way about the movies in question, they won't place highly enough to skew the list, if at all.

If you're looking for a balls-to-the-wall horror list it'd have to be specific.

I think the problem with this "countdown" is that you hired the wrong host!

Let @TheUsualSuspect host this thing! @Nostromo87 can do the graphics.

Suspect is a horror God. He certainly knows how to scare me.
Obviously I'm doing terrific. I brought Sexy Celebrity back from the dead.

Obviously I'm doing terrific. I brought Sexy Celebrity back from the dead.
Sexy Celebrity II is nicer than Sexy Celebrity I, so I’ll say, yes, I was just kidding (sorta). I’m sure you’ll do a terrific job.

Gremlins is horror.

It was covered by Fangoria magazine in the '80s.
They covered a lot of movies that weren't horror as there was a big focus on makeup and special effects.

This is an excerpt form that story with a quote from director Joe Dante-

Originally, the Gremlins screenplay written by Chris Columbus was quite gruesome. The horror and violence were toned down in subsequent drafts in favor of a more fantasy-oriented approach. In the words of Dante, the first half of the picture is a "small town character comedy, while the second half is the scary part. But even when it's scary, it's still kind of funny."

I definitely think it has horror elements, but I believe if you need to say a movie has horror elements, then it's not a horror movie. There's probably no right or wrong answer and if we go by IMDb tags, which seems fair, it should be eligible.

I definitely think Gremlins doesn’t really fit my idea of horror, but it’s more horror than a lot of other stuff. It won’t be on my list (provided I’m even still a member here in the next 15 minutes), but I wouldn’t really hate seeing it make the final list.... much.

I definitely think Gremlins doesn’t really fit my idea of horror, but it’s more horror than a lot of other stuff. It won’t be on my list (provided I’m even still a member here in the next 15 minutes), but I wouldn’t really hate seeing it make the final list.... much.
By the way, I'm still getting repped for posts you made that I don't even agree with.

You know how we can click on movies on people's profiles, and then get to that movie's "page"? It would be cool if those movie pages showed genre.

Here is a site, ihorrordb.com, that can be used to search horror titles, I like how it includes financial information for the films. Wish I knew of this before now as I enjoy looking at budgets and revenue.

I think it is at least worth discussing how tough we want to be on what we rule Horror eligible for the countdown.

You know how we can click on movies on people's profiles, and then get to that movie's "page"? It would be cool if those movie pages showed genre.
We can do this, but it'll ultimately come from www.themoviedb.org, so you can use that if you're looking for another source.

Anyone got an answer for Chyp? I figured I'd just missed it, but normally a few people second an idea, people generally decide who'll run it, and then it's confirmed with a vote. There's no official process at any point, that's just what usually happens.