Fright Night (1985) vs. Fright Night (2011)

Tools    

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I watched both and felt the remake was better. The original, I felt had some weaknesses, like the cliche which I have seen so many times in 80s movies, where as the guy wants to sleep with the girl and she is not ready, which has been done to death, even back then.

Stephen Geoffreys really brought down the movie for me, cause his overacting is way too over the top, and he just didn't understand the concept of less is more... either that or the director didn't understand that concept and pushed him to go that far.

I also feel that some parts were written really dumbly such as a person who may have witnessed a murder, calls the police, and then the detective they send over, brings the witness to the murder suspects house, and explains to the murder suspect, that this guy says he witnessed you commit a murder and explains it all to the murderer, thereby terribly endangering the witness, and ruining the murder case.

Things like that drove me nuts, and I just didn't really get was so good about this movie. The movie has a good idea, it's just the execution I thought was arguably poor. On the other hand Chris Sarandon and Roddy McDowall do a good job. But what do you think?

So I felt the remake improved on the origina overall, but I still like McDowall better than David Tennant.

What do you think?

I think the original is decidedly average until the final half hour or so and have never had any desire at all to see the remake.

I think the original is brilliant and the remake is just a shade above suck.
100% Agree

Oh wow, I didn't think the remake was near that bad.

What do you think?
Fright Night is a masterpiece of 1980's horror comedy.

The remake was OK but totally unnecessary, imo. Nothing is going to touch the original. It's like comparing your mother to your current girlfriend. It's just not right.

Paging Dr. Freud!

Welcome to the human race...
I'm of the opinion that the original isn't that good, that the remake isn't that bad, and that the margin in quality between the two of them isn't as wide as cricket makes it out to be.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I'm a fan of the original and prefer that over the remake. I'm not saying the remake is bad, but the original is great 80's horror.

Now...let's compare the sequels!!!!!

Suspect's Reviews

Haven't seen any of the sequels myself.

The original is brilliant and scary, and the movie poster is just great