A Quiet Place

Tools    

High concept horror has been a huge success in recent years. It Follows, Don't Breathe, Light's Out, Get Out, Hush, The Babadook, Happy Death Day all took concepts and smartly flushed them out into solid to great films. With the early reviews out this might be the peak, the early reviews are glowing, the trailer is awesome and this might be a true horror BP we haven't seen since Silence of the Lambs.

A tight thrill ride-the kind of movie that quickens the heart rate and plays with the expectations of the audience, while never treating them like idiots. In other words, it's a really good horror movie.
Sometimes, getting on the clever/whatever wavelength of a horror film and just rolling with can be a part of the fun. "A Quiet Place" is that kind of movie.
Even moviegoers who don't accept the metaphor are going to have the pants scared off them.
It's a crackerjack premise, if only because it fundamentally alters the fabric of the traditional horror template.

If you want to watch an edge-of-your-seat horror thriller with extraordinary performances, impressive sound editing and a well-driven story structure - A Quiet Place is definitely a film to add on your radar.

A Quiet Place is a rare thing: a horror film from a major studio that blends high-concept with jump scares and manages to pull both of them off.

This will be the first film I see opening night in a decade, mostly as a B-day treat to me.

This might just do nobody any good.
No noise is a neat hook. Cool to hear it’s been well received.

I really like the premise of this and I expect this to be pretty good. I've read some reviews that said that it was really good, while some others were less positive, the main critique being that it relied on jump scares too much. I'm defenitely planning on watching this when it comes to the cinemas where I live to see if it lives up to my expectations.

Keep your station clean - OR I WILL KILL YOU
I've been super excited for this ever since the first trailer. I squealed a little bit when I saw that it had such positive reactions. I'll be there opening day for this one.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I'm looking forward to this and Unsane.

Should be interesting to see John Krasinski's efforts behind the camera. It's cool to see these comedic guys take on this genre and seem to have success in it (Peele). I just hope that the film explains why she is pregnant during a time like this.

Suspect's Reviews

I'm in the minority then, because I feel like it won't be as good as advertised.

It's just really hard to find a quality, slow-burn horror film nowadays.. The Witch was by far the best of recent years.

Keep your station clean - OR I WILL KILL YOU
I'm in the minority then, because I feel like it won't be as good as advertised.

It's just really hard to find a quality, slow-burn horror film nowadays.. The Witch was by far the best of recent years.
Don't lose hope just yet! The reactions coming out of SXSW are extremely positive. And so far It has a 100% on RT with 30 reviews.

Don't lose hope just yet! The reactions coming out of SXSW are extremely positive. And so far It has a 100% on RT with 30 reviews.
I'll be checking it out. Just saying... last year, the supposed horror masterpiece was "It Comes at Night" which I thought was a huge disappointment.

I haven t seen the conjuring 2 but some say it sucka, but yes the vvitch was very good

A Quiet Place is a small simple story, it almost feels like it could have been a Twilight Zone episode. It's the story of a family of five 3 months after aliens land and hunt and murder most of the populace. The aliens seem to be indestructible, are very quick and incredibly sharp. I suppose they eat the victims but we don't really see much of that.

Anyways something happens that you see in the trailer and the story jumps forward 18 months later. The family lives in a retrofitted barn and we get quite a bit of world building we know the family isn't alone thanks to a very cool scene in the beginning but they might as well be.

One of the twists in the story that has been hidden in the trailers is the role of the daughter, I won't spoil it but it's pretty much the driving point of the plot. What is in the trailer is the mother's pregnancy the baby is coming and how could a crying baby survive in this world.

The film takes the JAWS approach to the creatures...less is more and while I wasn't too much a fan of the creatures aesthetic it didn't feel too CGI. The movie has a basic two part structure with the first half being atmospheric horror and the second part is just a white knuckle panic. You've got a few plot contrivances that doesn't make as much sense as you'd like but it's still an amazing film and great experience.

And that is why the film is worth your time and effort to see it in a theater because it's a film that you experience. This is one of those films that you go to see and experience it. It's not going to have the same impact at home and if you dissect certain things about it it won't make sense but it's not really about that. It's a movie focuses on your senses and your emotions.

My review

Per Box Office Mojo, the new Paramount release, A Quiet Place, a very strong start at the box office yesterday. The film took in $19 million for its opening day on Friday, April 6.

The film out-performed the new R-rated comedy Blockers, which stars WWE Superstar John Cena, which finished with about $7.8 million for its opening day. A Quiet Place is currently on track to have a $46+ million debut. Blockers is looking like it will finish with about $20 million for the weekend.

Blockers did incredibly well with critics, garnering an 83 percent rating on Rotten Tomatoes. Meanwhile, A Quiet Place had glowing reviews, with a tomato meter rating currently at 97 percent.

Elsewhere, Marvel’s Black Panther brought in another $2.3 million on Friday. That brings its current domestic box office total to $659.2 million. By the end day, the film will surpass the unadjusted domestic take for the 1997 smash hit, Titanic.
Big opening numbers, not quite the 100 million for IT (2017)

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
I'm trying to wrap myself around why I didn't enjoy this as much as everyone else. I think the main part is I didn't really get any sort of release. I felt like I already knew everything from the trailer (my fault) and I was waiting for something to happen. It never really did.

Well it's a very predictable and simple story then again so was Get Out and IT which could explain your issues. But the majority of people who don't need a plot twist will likely love it.

BOX OFFICE TOP FIVE (Three-Day Numbers)
1. Rampage – $34.5 million ($34.5 million total)
2. A Quiet Place – $32.6 million ($99.6 million total)
3. Truth or Dare – $19.1 million ($19.1 million total)
4. Ready Player One – $11.2 million ($114.6 million total)
5. Blockers – $10.2 million ($36.9 million total)
Next week is going to be crazy (Super Troopers 2, I Feel Pretty, Isle of Dogs, Rampage or A Quiet Place) could all finish first before Avengers destroys the box office

This might just do nobody any good.
Got to watch this with loud children a row below me.

10/10

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
I can tell my old-man sensibilities are coming in...

People who don't know how to talk during a movie. (take out all the bass and lean over)

People who don't know how to chow on their snacks. (granted this movie presented some major hurdles on that one)