2017 MoFo Film Awards

Tools    

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds

Ladies and gentlemen, the votes are in and we have our final set of nominees. We ended up with a little less submissions than last year, but there were still enough to have a diverse enough field of films voted in.

Please vote for ONE film in each category you choose. The DEADLINE for your votes is March 31st, 2018. That gives you almost one month to watch any films that need to be viewed before then. We will then have the awards ceremony the very next day. April 1st, 2018.

You must PRIVATE MESSAGE me your votes, do not post them here. You post them here and your votes are disqualified.

I'd like to thank @Cynema De Bergerac for brand spankin' new poster we've got now. It's a lot cleaner and clearly from someone more talented. Thanks for making me look cheap.

So watch those films and get those votes in!!!!

WINNERS START HERE

Submitted Lists:

The Rodent
lostonmulholland
Holden Pike
Dirk120
Cynema De Bergerac
Marlon Brando
The Painful Truth
Nope1172
Tugg
Sudden
Citizen Rules
Camo
GrantD2
seance
Rauldc14
Okay
ScarletLion
Cricket
Thursday Next
markF
Frightened Inmate No.2
cat_sidhe
CosmicRunaway
HashtagBrownies
Luis
BraedenG33

TOTAL: 26 LISTS

Best VFX

Best Score

Best Breakout Performance

Vicky Krieps - Phantom Thread

Barry Keoghan - The Killing of a Sacred Deer

Brooklynn Prince - The Florida Project

Timothée Chalamet - Call Me By Your Name

Daniel Kaluuya - Get Out

Best Cinematography

Best Cast

Sally Hawkins, Octavia Spencer, Richard Jenkins, Michael Shannon, Doug Jones, Michael Stuhlbarg

Frances McDormand, Sam Rockwell, Woody Harrelson, Abbie Cornish, Lucas Hedges, Zeljko Ivanek, Peter Dinklage, John Hawkes

Ryan Gosling, Harrison Ford, Dave Bautista, Robin Wright, Jared Leto, Ana de Armas, Edward James Olmos, Mackenzie Davis

Saoirse Ronan, Laurie Metcalf, Tracy Letts, Lucas Hedges, Timothée Chalamet

Daniel Day Lewis, Vicky Krieps, Lesley Manville, Camilla Rutherford

Suspect's Reviews

Best Trailer

Most Memorable Scene

No Man's Land - Wonder Woman

Throne Room Battle - Star Wars Episode 8: The Last Jedi

Pennywise Introduction - IT

The Peach - Call Me By Your Name

Opening Sequence - Baby Driver

Most Underrated Film of the Year

Most Overrated Film of the Year

Biggest Disappointment of the Year

Biggest Surprise of the Year

Best Foreign Language Film

Best Documentary

Best Animated Film

Best Screenplay

We rip out so much of ourselves to be cured of things faster than we should that we go bankrupt by the age of thirty and have less to offer each time we start with someone new. But to feel nothing so as not to feel anything - what a waste!

This didn't put an end to sh*t, you f**king r*tard; this is just the f**king start. Why don't you put that on your Good Morning Missouri f**king wake up broadcast, b*tch?

You know what I say? I say one down, a couple hundred thousand to go. I don't mean to get on my high horse, but I'm telling you, I do not like the deer. I'm sick of it; they're taking over. They're like rats. They're destroying the ecosystem. I see a dead deer on the side of the road and I think, "That's a start."

Money is not life's report card. Being successful doesn't mean anything in and of itself. It just means that you're successful. But that doesn't mean that you're happy.

Don't pick a fight with me, you certainly won't come out alive. I'll go right through you and it'll be you who ends up on the floor. Understood?

Best Supporting Actress

Holly Hunter - The Big Sick

Allison Janney - I, Tonya

Laurie Metcalf - Lady Bird

Michelle Pfeiffer - mother!

Lesley Manville - Phantom Thread

Best Supporting Actor

Michael Stuhlbarg - Call Me By Your Name

Sam Rockwell - Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri

Willem Dafoe - The Florida Project

Richard Jenkins - The Shape of Water

Patrick Stewart - Logan

Best Actress

Margot Robbie - I, Tonya

Saoirse Ronan - Lady Bird

Frances McDormand - Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri

Vicky Krieps - Phantom Thread

Sally Hawkins - The Shape of Water

Best Actor

Daniel Day Lewis - Phantom Thread

Timothée Chalamet - Call ME By Your Name

Gary Oldman - Darkest Hour

Robert Pattinson - Good Time

Hugh Jackman - Logan

Best Director

Paul Thomas Anderson - Phantom Thread

Guillermo del Toro - The Shape of Water

Christopher Nolan - Dunkirk

Sean Baker - The Florida Project

Denis Villeneuve - Blade Runner 2049

Worst Film of the Year

I'll dive into the nominations with more depth a bit later, but here are some quick thoughts / stats.

Paul Thomas Anderson's Phantom Thread is the most nominated film this year with 10 nominations. The Shape of Water is not so far behind with 8.

The technical heavy weights are Dunkirk and Blade Runner 2049, with 7 and 6 noms respectively. Both seemed to be nominated in similar categories, with the big difference being Dunkirk nominated for Most Overrated.

You'll always have a film nominated for flipped categories. Three Billboards is up for Best Picture and Most Overrated. Then we have Wonder Woman up for Biggest Surprise and Most Overrated.

Good Time showed up in some surprising areas, nabbing 4 nominations. One for Best Picture and one for Robert Pattinson's performance.

Even more surprising is this...Call Me By Your Name, nominated for 5 awards, but shut out of Directing and Best Picture. Get Out shut out in the exact same categories. Get Out was my favourite film last year, so that hurt a little. Did Good time take one of those film's spots in the top ten? I thought Get Out had a chance in top 5.

Even more surprising is the small, but strong showing for The Killing of a Sacred Deer. Taking the last spot in the newly stretched to TEN nominations for Best Picture.

A few surprises here and there, but this mirrors the Oscars pretty closely. I was hoping for some dark horses to pull through.

I'll throw some more stats up throughout the month.

Detroit, Stronger, and Brigsby Bear should all be represented but overall it looks pretty good to me.
Out of those three, Brigsby Bear had the best chance of being nominated in some categories.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Took awhile to organize.
Thanks for doing that TUS -must havekept you warm, and lovely poster, Cyn!!!

Welcome to the human race...
Stray observations:

- Good to see most of my Best Movie nominees made it through, though I am also perplexed by The Killing of a Sacred Deer cracking this and other categories, especially when I personally nominated it for Disappointment.
- None of my Worst Movie picks made it and the only two I've seen so far (The Dark Tower and Justice League) didn't strike me as being that bad (though I nominated the former for Disappointment and the latter isn't far off being the worst). The real question is whether or not I watch the rest to confirm their awfulness.
- Four of my picks for Best Actor made it - the exception being Harry Dean Stanton in Lucky because screw it, repo man's always intense.
- Likewise, four of my picks for Best Supporting Actor made it - the exception being Iain Glen in Resident Evil: The Final Chapter (hey, it's not my fault if the rest of you were going to make sure Sam "The Lock" Rockwell was going to make it in anyway).
- Animated Film...man, now I regret not seeing Loving Vincent in theatres when I had the chance (but the idea of watching Despicable Me 3 is not appealing in the slightest - I haven't even seen the first two).
- None of my Documentary picks made it either and it seems like I'll only be able to watch a couple of candidates on Netflix for the time being. This'll be hard to complete, which is a shame because I really wanted to see Faces Places.
- Biggest Surprise...only one of my picks made it, though I guess another potential pick made it in. Like I said before, it's hard to really call them surprises when you hear about how good they are for months on end. I'm disappointed (but also not too surprised) that Alien: Covenant (was I the only one who picked it?) or Brigsby Bear didn't make it.
- The Disappointment picks are funny because who was expecting Tom Cruise Meets the Mummy to be good? I'm guessing the Justice League pick was less on the basis of it being disappointing by the established DCEU standards and more on the idea that this is how the first ever Justice League movie ended up turning out. Also, I nominated Last Jedi for Underrated, which brings me to...
- lmao Wind River and The Killing of a Sacred Deer seem more than accurately rated to me (can't argue with the others though)

Thanks for all the hard work.

It's a shame to see so many of the same films nominated time and time again (it's just personal taste I guess) but I'm pleased to see the Florida Project and Sacred Deer feature more than I thought they would.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Thanks for all the hard work.

It's a shame to see so many of the same films nominated time and time again (it's just personal taste I guess) but I'm pleased to see the Florida Project and Sacred Deer feature more than I thought they would.
I agree. There are a few surprises there for me but each to their own .I've just missed seeing a few and those votes just make me want to see them.

I agree. There are a few surprises there for me but each to their own .I've just missed seeing a few and those votes just make me want to see them.
This is how I voted. Lots of quality there. I think 2017 was a great year for film.

Best Film of The Year:
The Killing of a sacred deer
The Florida project
The Eyes of My Mother
Frantz
Columbus
Good Time
Personal Shopper
Loveless
God’s Own Country
The Square

Worst Film of the Year:
Baby Driver

Patrick Stewart and Hugh Jackman being nominated for Logan is cracking me up. I liked that film a lot and they were good but man, they were better than Rockwell at least. The Scene Category is noticeably terrible, dang. Although i suppose it's memorable scene and not best.

It'd be cool if we had to send a ranked list of the nominees and you do it the same way as the countdowns, because it's kinda BS that anyone can vote in anything even if they've not seen the other noms. But maybe that's too much work so whatever.

Thanks for doing this Suspect