Post-Oscars Perspective

Tools    

Hudson = Lawrence.

I think the height difference was exaggerated. I assume Lawrence was wearing heels, and Foster, who was using crutches, obviously wouldn't be.

Hudson = Lawrence.

I think the height difference was exaggerated. I assume Lawrence was wearing heels, and Foster, who was using crutches, obviously wouldn't be.
Typo. I fixed it.

Whew! I was relieved to find out that Emma Watson's "Times Up" tattoo was temporary (or at least I hope that's true) considering the grammatical error. Without the apostrophe it doesn't make sense - except for maybe sounding like a promotional statement for the New York Times.

https://www.thecut.com/2018/03/emma-...to-oscars.html

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
The main question for me, which occurs to me every time I fill out my Oscar picks but I never get round to googling - just what is the difference between sound mixing and sound editing? I actually did google this this year, but I'm still not much more clued up. I don't know if I could distinguish sound editing from sound mixing when watching a film enough to say which was done well.
I believe one is you create the sounds. The other is you work with the sounds already there.

Welcome to the human race...
Not at all. Why?
Because it pokes fun at the idea of making art about the struggles of people on the wrong side of history.

I am of the belief that Janney's Oscar was more for a body of work. The actress has been in the business working steadily for decades and this was her first nomination. Personally, I found her performance in I, Tonya rather one-note. I was behind Laurie Metcalf to win.
You must be right. Frankly I was surprised that she was nominated (setting aside that the whole Oscars regalia is ridiculous). The role of Harding's mother, LaVona Golden, who was written as a very foul ogre, was one that 1000 actresses would have died for. I suspect that the role was both fun and easy to play (unless the actor was a non-smoker). Villains tend to be remembered, so that may have played into it.

~Doc

This year it was nicely done. Although I do not agree with the animated feature pick. I think The Breadwinner or Loving Vincent were better picks than Coco. But Oscars always go for flamboyance when they chose the animated movies.

I also thought production design would go to Blade Runner. But that is alright.

Because it pokes fun at the idea of making art about the struggles of people on the wrong side of history.
I have no problem with that.

Something can be laughed at without automatically becoming worthless.

That's a lesson our society should start learning (again).

I'm wondering if anybody else thought it strange that after the Best Picture debacle last year that they would allow Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway present Best Picture again? Really don't understand that because that was all on Beatty no matter how you slice it.

I heard it was PWC who messed up. I guess they just wanted to make it up to the two poor folks.

This might just do nobody any good.
Maybe they just thought the jokes would be funny...

Yeah, I believe it was determined that they simply handed Beatty the wrong envelope. He noticed it said La La Land, but also notices Emma Stone's name, which is why he hesitated and started looking off stage. And he made a point to hang onto the envelope to prove it, probably because he knew otherwise that people would blame him, assume he was just an addled old man, etc.

Anyway, there's a pretty interesting oral history of the whole thing that goes into more detail.

This might just do nobody any good.
I bet they want Beatty to present best picture for as long as possible.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Yeah, I believe it was determined that they simply handed Beatty the wrong envelope. He noticed it said La La Land, but also notices Emma Stone's name, which is why he hesitated and started looking off stage. And he made a point to hang onto the envelope to prove it, probably because he knew otherwise that people would blame him, assume he was just an addled old man, etc.

Anyway, there's a pretty interesting oral history of the whole thing that goes into more detail.
oh that's interesting. I'm certainly one who thought he was just an old man clearly addled or drunk because he just kept smiling and laughing like he was goofing off. I feel bad now, but makes me think he didnt spill the beans to hollywood gutter press to clear himself incase the oscar big knobs then sent him off to coventry like a bad boy.

PWC almost lost the contract. This year they added an extra person and no social media/cell phones backstage for PWC folks.

If only the the lighting was brought down completely, and two-hundred candles were surrounding Sufjan, while footage of the film was played in the background... HOH LAWD.
Vice President
358 Exchange Place New York, N.Y. 10099 FAX 212 555 6390 TELEX : () 4534