Tools    

This might just do nobody any good.
Here’s my basic AF top five (as of posting):

1. Blade Runner 2049
2. Get Out
3. Phantom Thread
4. The Shape of Water
5. Dunkirk

BR2049 is actually kind of remarkable for me as one of the fastest rising films I’ve seen, estimation wise. I really thought it was disappointment upon first viewing. It’s truly haunting. I can’t remember the last time that happened to me. The Master, maybe.

Aside from being a wonderful genre piece and a rare contemporary film that instantly enters the popular canon, Get Out has been one of my favorite experiences in an audience, ever. I really hadn’t felt the room that in sync since, maybe, Django Unchained, interestingly enough.

I was very surprised to find out just what, exactly, Phantom Thread was. It’s fun, I just didn’t expect that for some reason. Gourmet popcorn film? Great closing line, btw. Score is to die for.

Shape of Water had me in actual tears at one moment. (Black and white. If you’ve seen it, y’know the one I’m talking about).

What Dunkirk signals for the future of Nolan’s career is fascinating to me. It’s the bare bones of a film and it totally works, it’s potent. I don’t know where he goes from here. I ventured as far as speculating that it was Nolan acknowledging his own peak.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Best Director

1. Greta Gerwig- Lady Bird
2. Guillermo Del Toro- Shape of Water
3. Paul Thomas Anderson- Phantom Thread
4. Patty Jenkins- Wonder Woman
5. Sean Baker- Florida Project

I'll finally give Wonder Woman some love, I thought Patty Jenkins did a great job with it. Still, Gerwig reigns supreme for me in this category, and perhaps the academy will agree with me as well.

Best director

1. Denis Villenueve - Blade Runner 2049
2. Christopher Nolan - Dunkirk
3. Jordan Peele - Get Out
4. Edgar Wright - Baby Driver
5. David Lowery - A Ghost Story

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.

This might just do nobody any good.
I just rewatched Wonder Woman yesterday. Those are some heights it reaches halfway through. The rest doesn’t really do anything for me but Diana rising from the trench feels as iconic as Christopher Reeve pulling his shirt apart to reveal the “S” logo.

Strong year for superhero movies, actually. My personal favorite being Spider-Man: Homecoming.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I just rewatched Wonder Woman yesterday. Those are some heights it reaches halfway through. The rest doesn’t really do anything for me but Diana rising from the trench feels as iconic as Christopher Reeve pulling his shirt apart to reveal the “S” logo.

Strong year for superhero movies, actually. My personal favorite being Spider-Man: Homecoming.
They we're all in the solid, but not remarkable category, which still made it pretty good overall for the genre.

@rauldc14 I will get going soon. Sorry brother, busy couple of days. You can keep going if you want, don't worry about me.

Top Ten 2017

I will start with best picture. Great year in film. My top 2 are going to be big time favorites. Basically a dead tie with my top 2 but for now I do give the nod to the one that surprised me more.

10.The Killing Of A Sacred Deer
9.The Last Jedi
8.The Meyerwitz Stories
7.Lady Bird
6.Detroit
5.The Darkest Hour
4.Mother
3.Blade Runner 2049
2.Phantom Thread

The best theater experience of the year. The film that gave me the most visually. The film that surprised me the most. Nolan should abandon dialogue more often.

So that list is in reverse order right? Was confused at first but got it now!
Good call. I numbered them. These things always seem better in my head. Why aren't you guys in my head!

Cinematography 2017

So many great films for cinematography in 2017. Dunkirk, Phantom Thread, and Blade Runner are all beautiful to look at and could easily be number one. I have to give credit to a guy who always draws me in with his visuals. Whose camera moves perfectly and always finds the exact right depths and angles. Song To Song is another astonishing film to look at by Malick.

Thought you'd have seen a lot more than me. I'm at 48, watching Faces Places tomorrow
Nice. Looking forward to that one. Bunch still on my watch list. You have been watching a ton lately.

Best Director 2017

As hard as it is for me not to give this to PTA, he did exactly what I expected. As much as I have been a Nolan defender I have never found him to be perfect and have always understood people's complaints about him. With Dunkirk Nolan overcame those weaknesses by playing to his strengths. He abandoned script and told an emotional story through stunning visuals, pulse pounding sound design, and unique story arc techniques. His best film to date and one of the best war movies I have seen. Amazing achievement.

I'm really surprised by Darkest Hour's inclusion. I have certain biases that would make it hard for me to like that film even if it was well made, but i honestly thought it was a very ugly film
Ditto.
Vice President
358 Exchange Place New York, N.Y. 10099 FAX 212 555 6390 TELEX : () 4534

- Best Picture -
1. Call Me by Your Name
2. Loveless
3. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
4. Phantom Thread
5. Mother!
Close Second: (TIE) Star Wars: The Last Jedi and BR 2049

- Best Cinematography -
1. The Florida Project (ANYONE WHO DOESN'T HAVE THIS ON THEIR LIST SHALL BE CRUCIFIED )
2. Call Me by Your Name
3. Blade Runner 2049
4. Loveless
5. The Killing of a Sacred Deer
Close Second: Star Wars: The Last Jedi

- Best Director -
1. Luca Guadagnino, Call Me by Your Name
2. Andrey Zvyagintsev, Loveless
3. Paul Thomas Anderson, Phantom Thread
4. Darren Aronofsky, Mother!
5. Sean Baker, The Florida Project
Close Second: Denis Villeneuve, Blade Runner 2049