Oscars 2018 Best Cinematography

Tools    

The Oscar winner for Cinematography is...?
70.00%
14 votes
BLADE RUNNER 2049
0%
0 votes
DARKEST HOUR
20.00%
4 votes
DUNKIRK
0%
0 votes
MUDBOUND
10.00%
2 votes
THE SHAPE OF WATER
20 votes. You may not vote on this poll

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Is the award for DoP on the night or shoved off to the forgotten table with all the techy awards?

It's on the big night. All the ones listed in Holden's threads (and a number of others, enumerated fully on the Oscar Picks pool page) are during the "actual" ceremony. 24 in all.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Thanks, Yods. Are the tech awards televised over there? I saw a show on them one night with BTS footage and it was really interesting

Welcome to the human race...
Darkest Hour looked great for me and I really enjoyed the movie, it seems like it's the best picture nominee getting the most backlash this year but I thought it was very well done.
I don't think it's gotten anywhere near as much backlash as Three Billboards has, though. People have been constantly arguing about the film's contentious subject matter and approach, whereas Darkest Hour only faces a backlash for being yet another generic piece of award-bait that happens to be the favourite in a major category.

As for the actual contenders - obviously, I want Deakins to win at least once but between the fact that he's Deakins and recent sci-fi cinematography Oscar-winners being flashy spectacles like Inception or Gravity, I don't particularly like his chances of winning for Blade Runner. After that, my order goes Laustsen/Morrison/Hoytema/Delbonnel.

He will probably win three in a row now
Now that he's won, can we call him the Meryl Streep of cinematography?

Now that he's won, can we call him the Meryl Streep of cinematography?
Please don't. I don't know what happened to me and Meryl. I used to be a big fan but the rose is off the bloom. Adaptation still rocks.

Just meant purely in terms of nominations. I'm okay with Streep, but get why you wouldn't want me to. Deakins is amazing though.

Meryl was real good in The Post. It's those Into the Woods nominations that baffle me.
Yeah, but at this point I can't help but feel she's getting the nom just cause she's Streep. I think there were quite a few better female performances this year.

Just meant purely in terms of nominations. I'm okay with Streep, but get why you wouldn't want me to. Deakins is amazing though.
I was just teasing anyway. Yeah, I am very pleased he finally won.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Yeah, but at this point I can't help but feel she's getting the nom just cause she's Streep. I think there were quite a few better female performances this year.
Brooklyn Prince

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

On the Deakins Spectrum...

*Skyfall, Blade Runner 2049, O Brother Where Art Thou?, No Country for Old Men, Unbroken, Prisoners, and Blade Runner 2049