Oscars 2018 Best Original Screenplay

Tools    

Oscar's Best Original Screenplay will be...?
4.17%
1 votes
THE BIG SICK
16.67%
4 votes
GET OUT
20.83%
5 votes
LADY BIRD
16.67%
4 votes
THE SHAPE OF WATER
41.67%
10 votes
THREE BILLBOARDS OUTSIDE EBBING, MISSOURI
24 votes. You may not vote on this poll

The five scripts chosen for Best Original Screenplay are...

The Big Sick
Get Out
Lady Bird
The Shape of Water
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Seen al of these and can't believe Thread missed out. Three Billboards to lose, yuck. I voted Lady Bird and will keep my fingers crossed.

Tough category.

Three Billboards will likely take it, but I really want Peele winning for Get Out.
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
With all the momentum that 3 Billboards has, it's hard to see it lose this one. Yet all of the nominees have one reason or another to win this category. I'd like to see Get Out take it, at least win something, but I think 3 Billboards will win.

Suspect's Reviews

3BB has taken the Globe, and might take the BAFTA as well.

But I'm predicting 'Lady Bird' for this category after it takes WGA; It'll be the film's path to Best Picture.
Vice President
358 Exchange Place New York, N.Y. 10099 FAX 212 555 6390 TELEX : () 4534

Would love to see The Big Sick but looks like Three Billboards has this in the bag

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Big Sick for me, although I love all 5 screenplays
How funny is it? I've seen Kumail Nanjiani doing stand up and he;s pretty hilarious.

Keep your station clean - OR I WILL KILL YOU
How funny is it? I've seen Kumail Nanjiani doing stand up and he;s pretty hilarious.
The comedy doesn't take center stage on this one, but when it hits, it's clever and hilarious. Nanjiani is a natural at his comedy craft.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
The comedy doesn't take center stage on this one, but when it hits, it's clever and hilarious. Nanjiani is a natural at his comedy craft.
Thanks Luis. Yeah from what I saw he's pretty witty, and I dont even particularly like stand up. And I'm happy to see you said it doesnt take centre stage

Keep your station clean - OR I WILL KILL YOU
Thanks Luis. Yeah from what I saw he's pretty witty, and I dont even particularly like stand up. And I'm happy to see you said it doesnt take centre stage
Yeah, the romance is very cleverly told in the sense that it's more about him bonding with her parents after break up.

Unlike Best Adapted Screenplay, this one is much more difficult to call this time around.

This is a category that can march hand-in-hand with the Best Picture winner. In the last ten years winners here that matched the top award are Spotlight, Birdman, The King's Speech, and The Hurt Locker. But more often in the last couple decades, it goes to something a little more off the beaten path, sometimes a movie that wasn't even nominated for Best Picture, with recent winners this century including Manchester by the Sea, Her, Django Unchained, Milk, Juno, Little Miss Sunshine, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Lost in Translation, Talk to Her, and Gosford Park.

Even with a bit of backlash and awards season fatigue as the front runner, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri still appears to be the favorite for Best Picture or be running nearly neck and neck with Shape of Water, but its screenplay, written by the director Martin McDonagh, may have a much tougher time winning. McDonagh did not make the cut as Best Director, despite his DGA Award nomination, which might tend to bolster his argument for winning here. And perhaps if three of the other four nominees weren't also writer/directors that would give him an advantage. But I don't think it does. He has one previous nomination for his screenplay for In Bruges, and the kind of success he has enjoyed with Three Billboards should get his subsequent projects a lot of attention, win or lose.

McDonagh does at least have better odds of winning than Kumail Nanjiani and Emily Gordon for turning their real-life unlikely coma romance into The Big Sick. The movie was a charmer and it is good to see them get the nomination, but they have no real shot at winning. Other than Woody Allen, who is a force all of his own, Nanjiani joins rare company of former stand up comedians nominated for a screenplay Oscar, joining Steve Coogan (Philomena) and Barry Levinson (Diner and Avalon) - and to be fair Levinson abandoned his stand-up career pretty early on and was never anything approaching a star in that field, its more of a footnote. But Kumail Nanjiani beats people like Steve Martin and Eddie Murphy as well as his friend and the Big Sick's producer Judd Apatow to an Oscar nomination for writing.

As compelling as their story and the resulting film are, the odds of them winning are beyond slim. But if they can turn their sensibility towards tales that they didn't actually live through, perhaps they can enjoy this kind of success again? But this may be their one shot basking in the glow of an Oscar nomination.

Guillermo del Toro had one other Oscar nomination before this year, his Original Screnplay for Pan's Labyrinth (which lost to Little Miss Sunshine). Pan's Labyrinth had six nominations, winning for Best Cinematography, Best At Direction, and Best Makeup. The Shape of Water leads all films this year with thirteen nominations, one short of the record of fourteen set by All About Eve, Titanic, and last year's La La Land. Del Toro may well win Best Director and it may clean up in the technical categories, but it is probably going to finish mid-pack here for Original Screenplay. It is certainly an original take on the romantic fantasy, complete with Guillermo's fascinations with the grotesque and bizarre, but if his personal vision is going to be rewarded it will be as Best Director.

Jordan Peele won the WGA Award for Get Out, going up against three of its competitors here (The Big Sick, The Shape of Water, Lady Bird) plus I, Tonya instead of Three Billboards. Last year the WGA and Oscar winners didn't match here, but largely because both bodies differed on what constituted an original vs. an adapted work. Kenneth Lonergan won the WGA Award, but Barry Jenkins, who won the WGA for Original Screenplay, won the Oscar for Adapted Screenplay for Moonlight. The previous year the two awards matched (Spotlight) as well as in 2014 (Her) and 2012 (Midnight in Paris), but there were splits in 2015 (The Grand Budapest Hotel/Birdman), 2013 (Zero Dark Thirty/Django Unchained), and 2010 (Inception/The King's Speech). So as a predictor of late, the WGA is not so hot, about as good as a coin flip.

But Jordan Peele definitely has an excellent shot at winning the Oscar. He also has a nomination as Best Director, and while he is not the favorite there nor is Get Out expected to win Best Picture, this would be the perfect way to reward the sketch comedian and TV star who's satirical hybrid became a smash hit and catapulted him into Oscar contention.

The reason this one is too close to call is that Greta Gerwig and Lady Bird may win for basically all the reasons Get Out may win. A writer/director who has a Best Director nomination but who is not a favorite to win there or in Best Picture, if those Academy voters couldn't bring themselves to quite vote for the film in those categories, a Best Original Screenplay Oscar would be a mighty fine consolation prize. Like Peele this is her first nomination in this category. The indie darling of an actress has written other screenplays, going back to being credited on Joe Swanberg's improvised Hannah Takes the Stairs which was the project that first got her noticed, and co-writing both Frances Ha and Mistress America with director and then boyfriend Noah Baumbach.

Lady Bird is all Gerwig, and the semi-autobiographical movie has made her a hot commodity, coincidentally timing out perfectly against the backdrop of the new post-Harvey Weinstein era. If Ridley Scott having to reshoot All the Money in the World served as the best example of how the seemingly endless scandals and revelations effected projects negatively, Lady Bird became an embodiment of the kind of course correction and new voices in the fore that the industry is now clamoring for (along with the critical and box office success of Wonder Woman).

And that really makes this category too close to call. Both Peele and Gerwig had debuts as writer/directors that were pleasant surprises, and they both got their triple-threat creds certified by going behind the camera and getting nominations as writers and directors. Peele's film takes some pointed satirical jabs at the racial climate couched in a thriller, while Gerwig's wasn't designed to address the current zeitgeist, but its timing put it right there. Peele's film, though it works wonderfully as a horror/thriller, is more overtly political by design than Gerwig's, which could be either a boon or a hindrance. Or will those two split votes so dramatically and evenly that Guillermo del Toro or Martin McDonagh sneaks through on the weighted ballot?

We'll know in a few weeks.

This category is very competitive and has five worthy nominees this year, so I have zero complaints as is. But as for some other screenplays that might have broken through...

Paul Thomas Anderson got his second Best Director nom for The Phantom Thread, but missed out for screenplay, despite having been nominated four other times in his career (Boogie Nights, Magnolia, There Will Be Blood, and Inherent Vice). I, Tonya has mostly been getting awards season love for the performances, so Steven Rogers (Kate & Leopold) screenplay missed the cut and his chance at his first nomination. Spielberg's The Post underperformed a bit both box office wise and at the big awards shows, including no nomination for Liz Hannah & Josh Singer's script here, despite Singer having won an Oscar for Spotlight two years ago. Darkest Hour and Dunkirk are both Best Picture nominees that could have found slots here, but neither British WWII drama made it.

Director Sean Baker and his writing partner Chris Bergoch couldn't quite ride the wave of love for The Florida Project here, with Dafoe's performance being its only Oscar chance. Being released in the middle of the year coupled with a bit of Kevin Spacey residue probably hurt Edgar Wright's chances of Baby Driver screeching into a nomination. The allegations against Dustin Hoffman may have killed whatever momentum Noah Baumbach's The Meyerowitz Stories (New and Selected) had going for it, so Noah's second nomination did not materialize (his first was for The Squid and the Whale). The climate may have seemed perfect for Little Miss Sunshiners Jonathan Dayton & Valerie Faris' Battle of the Sexes to pop for the awards season, but if anything the seriousness of the waves of allegations may have helped make their movie seem very light, so three-time nominee and once winner Simon Beaufoy (The Full Monty, Slumdog Millionaire, and 127 Hours) missed the cut here for the story of Billie Jean King and Bobby Riggs' tennis match and media circus. And though seemingly scandal proof when it comes to the writing branch of the Academy giving him nomination after nomination, perhaps even Woody Allen suffered this year and his Wonder Wheel did not get him his almost obligatory nomination, no adding to his lifetime sixteen writing nominations nor his three wins.

I really enjoyed Taylor Sheridan's Wind River, but unlike his previous nomination for Hell & High Water it got lost in the shuffle and Azazel Jacobs's midlife crisis re-romance of The Lovers was a bit of a Sundance sensation but didn't have legs to reach the Oscar promised land in a year this strong.

Guillermo del Toro had one other Oscar nomination before this year, his Original Screnplay for Pan's Labyrinth (which lost to Little Miss Sunshine). Pan's Labyrinth had six nominations, winning for Best Cinematography, Best At Direction, and Best Makeup. The Shape of Water leads all films this year with thirteen nominations, one short of the record of fourteen set by All About Eve, Titanic, and last year's La La Land. Del Toro may well win Best Director and it may clean up in the technical categories, but it is probably going to finish mid-pack here for Original Screenplay. It is certainly an original take on the romantic fantasy, complete with Guillermo's fascinations with the grotesque and bizarre, but if his personal vision is going to be rewarded it will be as Best Director.
Very well thought out analysis, HP! I'm curious to see what if any effect the lawsuit against "Water" for plagiarism of Let Me Hear You Whisper will be?
https://variety.com/2018/film/news/s...sm-1202706828/

I don't know if all the votes are in, but if the voters feel that the screenplay may have been plagiarized, it would certainly boot the script from the Original Screenplay category, and might possibly affect other categories as well. It does sound very suspect...

~Doc

A system of cells interlinked
Caught Wind River a couple nights again, and I really enjoyed it. Too bad it didn't get a nod, as Holden mentioned. This is a close race, so instead of trying to predict whether or not Get Out will do an end around to swipe the statue from Three Billboards, I am going to go with my favorite of the bunch, Lady Bird.

Jordan Peele was the underdog among the nominees in the Original Screenplay category, and the biggest winner of the evening. It's awesome that he ended up winning!

I share Key's enthusiasm.