Films you think I NEED to see before I start building my Top 100?

Tools    

Keep your station clean - OR I WILL KILL YOU
Ok, so I'm an 18 year old movie fan, I clearly haven't been alive enough time to watch all the "greats" and my knowledge of classic films (while much greater than you're average 18 year old) is still lacking. Or at least it's not where I want it to be. There's a lot of films pre-2000 I haven't seen. And a couple of years from now I want to build my Top 100 films of all time. So 2018 I want half of the portion of movies I watch, to be new watches.

So please, any movie you think any person who calls themselves a film fan should see, list it on here, and I will add it to my 2018 watch list.

Some stuff like The Godfather, I've seen, but other stuff like Citizen Kane I haven't. So please! Just list away!

I admire your movie watching goals, good for you

Citizen Kane (of course)

Take a look at my Top 10 movies on my profile and give them a look. At least you know one person loved them.

Well I'll let you into a secret – I've been trying to do my Top 100 list this last few months. I'm not worrying about my unfamiliarity with films considered to be classics – some I've seen and some I haven't. I'm just doing a Top 100 of the films that matter most to me that I have seen, good bad or indifferent. I'll leave the rest to film critics .

Here are my faves that I have watched since coming here that I probably wouldn't have ended up seeing if I hadn't.

The Apartment, The Magnificent Ambersons, Double Indemnity, The Third Man, Anatomy Of A Murder, All About Eve, Le Cercle Rouge, 8 1/2, In A Lonely Place, The Conformist, and Play Time.

Here are some that I hope you have seen or are planning on at least: Lawrence Of Arabia, Network, One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, Once Upon A Time In The West, Chinatown, The Graduate.

Loads more of course. Watch all you can of Bergman and Hitchcock.

I don't know. Enjoy your time here Luis. You are going to discover tons of good movies by just following directors you discover and talking flicks here.

I have said it a lot but I will tell you. I came here in my late 30's as. I thought, a big movie fan. I was looking for a place to talk about my hobby a bit more after going through a divorce. What I discovered is I knew squat about film and hadn't been scratching the surface on what to watch as a an enthusiast. I still know squat but I am watching probably 100 movies a year that I wouldn't have if I hadn't came here and decided to join the fray. Most of us just aren't surrounded by true cinephiles in our daily lives and this is a great place to scratch that itch.

I really wish anyone would give this movie a chance.

This is truly a masterpiece, 10/10 stuff.
If Gong Li's in it I'll give anything a chance.

I think not getting hung up on seeing all the "classics" would be a good idea. IMO it would be much better familiarizing yourself with films by director, film movement and country. The Classics Canon (there's not really such a thing but there is certain films that have universal acclaim and have become the established must sees) is a good starting place but i think it heavily limits you because it usually points towards the most acclaimed film by each director and stops you from actually getting familiar with them, their work and their themes. I kinda wish i had started with alot of the directors i loves lesser known stuff and worked my way up. Kind of get to know what they are like, possibly their beginnings and then see their great stuff making it all the more effective. Think @seanc might agree to some degree with his recent comment in the director of the month thread about Hitchcock: "i hope i find another Hitchcock film i love" i think it was.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Aside from movies a lot of people will recommend, here are some that probably no one will recommend that I think are very underrated:

Malcolm X
The Skin I Live In
The Battle of Algiers
Slumdog Millionaire
Oldboy
Cell 211
JFK
Metropolis
Sicko
For A Few Dollars More
Runaway Train

I think not getting hung up on seeing all the "classics" would be a good idea. IMO it would be much better familiarizing yourself with films by director, film movement and country. The Classics Canon (there's not really such a thing but there is certain films that have universal acclaim and have become the established must sees) is a good starting place but i think it heavily limits you because it usually points towards the most acclaimed film by each director and stops you from actually getting familiar with them, their work and their themes. I kinda wish i had started with alot of the directors i loves lesser known stuff and worked my way up. Kind of get to know what they are like, possibly their beginnings and then see their great stuff making it all the more effective. Think @seanc might agree to some degree with his recent comment in the director of the month thread about Hitchcock: "i hope i find another Hitchcock film i love" i think it was.
Absolutely agree. Although working that way could work against you too. If you don't have the stamina and you see a couple movies by a director that you don't love you might never get to Vertigo and Psycho.

You know I love working my way through directors though. I just wish I had paid more attention to them when I was Luke's age.

Absolutely agree. Although working that way could work against you too. If you don't have the stamina and you see a couple movies by a director that you don't love you might never get to Vertigo and Psycho.

You know I love working my way through directors though. I just wish I had paid more attention to them when I was Luke's age.
Yeah i wasn't really meaning attempt to go through all of Hitch's Silents first even though that's what i basically described. I just think mixing it up and not getting hung up on what the consensus says is a better path.

And yeah you're definitely my director bro.

I've been creating a 30's Watchlist by directors recently trying to do exactly what i've been saying see a good mix of a directors work. What i'm at so far is: Wellman, Renoir, Hawks, Ozu, Mizoguchi, Lang and Borzage. I already did Ford watching five of his 30's films in a short period think i got alot out of it. Here's the list so far - https://letterboxd.com/camarel/list/30s-watchlist/

If anybody wants to suggest some great 30's directors as long as they have at least five made in the 30's then go ahead and i'll add them.

First off, start with these ...

Then, I suggest this...

It's truly a spectacle; a rich one at that. Perhaps, one of the greatest THINGS--that I have ever witnessed. Be warned though, If you're not a fan of very long running times... watch it anyway.

Here's some extra titles for you, on the side:
Adaption
Being John Malkovich
Synecdoche, New York
Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain
Babel
The Pianist
The Piano Teacher
Ivan's Childhood
Come and See
Chungking Express
Amour
Brazil
Magnolia
Seven Samurai (In fact, the entire Kurosawa Trilogy.)
No Country for Old Men
The Human Condition: Parts 1, 2, and 3
I Am Love
The Holy Mountain

Finally: here's some of my all-time favorites, that I'd recommend to you. (If you want to watch them, that is. )

Vice President
358 Exchange Place New York, N.Y. 10099 FAX 212 555 6390 TELEX : () 4534

All of them. Just kidding. But watch In the Mood for Love for me, will you?

This might just do nobody any good.
Pro-tip: work your way up to Inland Empire. If you dig Blue Velvet, watch (some of) Twin Peaks and if you dig that, watch Mulholland Dr.

Only then watch Inland...

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
When I was 18, my favorite movie was The Godfather and On The Waterfront - it's a great movie, especially if you love Marlon Brando...

I'd recommend "Harry and Tonto" and not only because it's my favorite, but also because of your age.

Sean mentioned "Network" and "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest" which are in my Top 10, but also very important.

The Battle of Algiers was great when it was made, but even more relevant now.. It's very historically accurate -- some of the main actors were IN the revolution!

Yeah my suggested schedule for Lynch would be: Seasons 1-2 of Twin Peaks>Blue Velvet>Lost Highway>Mulholland Drive>Inland Empire>Fire Walk With Me>Twin Peaks: The Return. Take out Twin Peaks (Fire Walk With Me too obviously) if you don't want to watch a tv show. The rest can be watched whenever, The Elephant Man is one of his best but you can absolutely watch that whenever, actually it would possibly be a good starting point.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
The Larry Sanders Show -- not only my favorite show, but pertinent here, as it's a wonderful and witty examination of Hollywood and showbiz in general... with the actual stars in the series.. I'm watching it again from beginning to finish and it's simply amazing.