Top 100 Movies

→ in
Tools    

58. Back to the Future (1985)

Now this is ENTERTAINMENT: The peak in quality of Hollywood genre movies was around this period from 1960's to the 1980's. Back to the Future for instance, is easily superior to any Hollywood blockbuster made in the past decade. Why? Because it has a natural and organic quality, and it has an accurate sense of 1980's zeitgeist.

57. Galaxy Express 999 (1979)

The oldest animation to make my list is this classic from the late 1970's. Galaxy Express 999 is a very powerful animated film and it is the oldest animated film to leave me deeply moved.

56. A Clockwork Orange (1971)

And yet another science fiction movie, well, kinda science fiction. This movie is the first of Kubrick's second generation of movies: that is, after making 2001 his later movies changed greatly compared to the movies he made before 2001 and became more "spiritual", for lack of a better word. Also, his movies became divided into two halves: this movies' first half narrates the life of the gangster and the second half is his brainwashing procedure. All his later movies are also divided into two parts.

55. Once Upon a Time in America (1984)

Now, this is a movie. An epic one at 4 hours long and certainly the most powerful gangster movie I ever watched. I am not a big fan of the genre since I find gangsters to unlikable and uncool in their nature but this and The Godfather are two gangster movies that are so good that they have been extremely memorable experiences despite being movies about gangsters.

53. The Wrath of Khan (1982)

The Star Trek movie. I included it even though I am not interest in the recent "Star Trek" movies which are not really Star Trek movies but instead generic action movies with Star Trek characters and ships in them.

52. Ghost in the Shell (1995)

The classic cyberpunk animated science fiction film. I watched it back when I was about 14 and since then it left me a very deep impression. In fact, it was almost a traumatic experience due to the highly disturbing concepts fleshed out in the movie.

Invisible Guest is great movie, also Taken and Phone Booth are good movies

51. 300 (2006)

Oh the glorious homoerotic masterpiece of Hollywood 21st century stylization of classical Greek history showing the glory and honor of the first elements that came to form the civilization that conquered the world. It is also indeed a special achievement of cinema thanks to it's combination of computer animation for the backgrounds and live action actors. And this movie is perhaps one of the movies that comes the closest to f*cking metal in the universe of movies.

@cricket, Its a good movie for teenager boys.

50. Kamikaze Girls (2004)

My favorite Japanese movie made after the Golden Age of Japanese cinema (that is, made after 1970). It's a very special movie featuring a mostly female cast about individualism, materialism and friendship. It has some of that typical Japanese silliness involved in youth culture (since it's adapted from a young adult novel).

49. M (1931)

One of the oldest movies in this list is this classic. Powerful and haunting crime movie, it is also interesting in it's portrayal of how life was in Germany around 1930. Those times were certainly dark and this movie reflects that, even through it's cinematography.

48. There Will be Blood (2007)

Now that's a heavy movie. The main character is an absolute psychopath, which is expected given it's a movie about an oil baron and we know the US artistic class tends to be Marxist and so hate entrepreneurs (even though they are supported by entrepreneurs). Anyway, the movie is a tour de force in modern Hollywood, perhaps their most impressible product in over a decade.

47. Adolescence of Utena (1999)

Now that's great animation. It's highly experimental and aesthetically creative without feeling pretentious or failing to relay accurately it's themes. This is true artistic animation.