Collectible Dvds

Tools    

Okay so I was on Ebay looking for Something Wicked This Way Comes and Zone Troopers(not out?) on dvd. And I keep coming across OOP things. After 2 days I figured out it means Out Of Print and they are selling for more than regular dvds. What gives? A while ago I heard Laurie say they are rereleasing The Mummy. Does that mean the first editions will soon become collectible? There's an idea for you Laurie. If you have different Special Features on the second edition the first might become collectible. More sales for you. Does anyone have any info on this new phenomenon?

Zone Troopers is out of print, but Something Wicked This Way Comes is still on the market in DVD.

It's not unusual for a reprint to make a first edition a rare and valuable item. The only example I can think of is Little Shop of Horrors with Rick Moranis. When the movie was sent to test audiences, they hated the original extended ending. So when the film was released to theaters, it showed a happy alternate ending. This ending and the original ending were both shown on the first run DVD along with a commentary. However, the producer, David Geffen, acquired the rights to the original extended ending and refused to give permission to having it included on any more print runs of the disc. So, in February of 1998, Warner Brothers issued a recall of the DVD version with this ending. As a result of this recall, there are about 1500 copies out there that feature the first run ending. These discs have been reported as being sold at auctions for upwards of $2000 each.

Movie-Fever.com | New! Movie Fever Forums

Holy Smokes! I love Little Shop of Horrors and while I was reading your post I wanted to see the original ending but.. $2,000!! Wow! I didn't know they went that high! This all started 'cause I wanted to buy The Devil's Advocate but then I found it was recalled because of the painting scene or something. Then I saw another movie (I forget the name) and it too said OOP rare etc.. Wow!

MovieForums Extra
I reckon that in a few years, when DVD's become as mainstream as CD's have in the 90's, most or all of the early DVD's will become collector's items. I myslef haven't caught DVD fever yet, and it's good too 'cos they get pretty expensive in OZ

You live in OZ? Where's OZ?

MovieForums Extra

I can't believe that know one knows what OZ means! It's the Great Southern Land, the Land Down Under...aka Australia