Let's Face It

Tools    

Terrible, and very very saddening event.
The opening of this movie scene, with the letter writing, always brings tears to my eyes.

very very moving. A great slice of Australian cinema.

I have a few comments for bonito and spooky but no time be back later this evening ( your daytime spooky)

But not to neglect the game,(and in contrast to the sadness relating to our recent discussions) here 's a lad who should make us feel good about the human race.

Oh and just so s you know, this is what the 'view' from my window looked like when I looked out my window this morning

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	449.5 KB
ID:	43108  

Oh and just so s you know, this is what the 'view' from my window looked like when I looked out my window this morning

Lenslady that may look miserable to you but is spirit lifting from someone who does not see snow all that often.

I have a few comments for bonito and spooky but no time be back later this evening ( your daytime spooky)

But not to neglect the game,(and in contrast to the sadness relating to our recent discussions) here 's a lad who should make us feel good about the human race.

Is that Mark Twain (Samuel Clemens)?

Is that Mark Twain (Samuel Clemens)?
Not Mark Twain tho I can see a strong resemblance. He's Euopean but spent a lot of time further south.

A few comments on our previous comments
@Bonito. Thanks for posting the clip of the movie, a perfect companion piece to Eric Bogle s song. I learn a lot here on mofo

Spooky- I feel glad that you had heard the song before by Eric Bogle. And your 'review' of the song got it exactly. I always tear up when he thanks Jesus there is no one to meet him- to pity him -when he arrives back home. Poignant.

Of course the original Matilda is sad too, but in that one, I think our folk hero swagman retains a hero's stance -when he boasts 'you ll never take me alive,' and his ghost still wanders the pond forevermore. A merry tune on that one too.

But besides heart rending music (and movies) I enjoy a good bouncy melody and pop song as well. So I had fun listening to Russell Morris and especially loved that love song The Girl That I Love. Timeless romance. I was glad to see he covered a Dylan tune as well -my songwriting muse. And it s interesting you mentioned Gary Puckett. I saw him in concert years ago -and he astounded me with his voice. One of the best singers I ve heard I my life (and that 's matching him against the likes of Smokey Robinson, Eric Clapton and Tony Bennett all of whom
I 've seen perform) Gary is cream of the crop.

Finally , ah.....the snow. Yes it is lovely to look at.It would be a lot lovelier to me if it was still December . It feels like it's been December for four months.. But glad you like the snow. I myself would feel relief at the sight of a tulip...or even a weed. Anything green!

Lenslady what other sort of heart rending music do you enjoy? Notice you have not named your Top 10 Films. Interested to see your cinema tastes.Take a look at mine.

You talk as tho you live in Alaska. Go out and build a snowman. that'l cheer you.

As for your face. Will need another think then. I was confident it was Mark Twain. I recall as a child reading Tom Sawyer and later watching the movie at boarding school. Its enjoyment has stayed with me all my life.

Glad to know Mark Twain has been an integral part of our youth worldwide. Hope that s true of this doctor ' s face.

Here s an even bigger clue:
When I was growing up, if you did something stupid, someone might say:
You're no Einstein.

And if you did something cruel and meanspirited, someone could say:
You're no.............................

Re: music Well the list is too long to fully go into here. And as you know, I have been thinking about starting a music thread (of upbeat AND solemn music) right here, but holding off til I can figure out this YouTube problem. Also, although I love all the 'greats' in music, I follow so many lesser known artists, which so far , Spooky, you are the rare one who is indulging me enough to look them up.

So here s a few of songs found on YouTube, music on the serious side that I ve been listening to lately :

Charlie Darwin- by Low Anthem- a meditation on the possible ecological disaster this planet faces (amongst other things) - surprisingly mesmerizing

Raglan Road -by Mark Knopfler - love unrequited. Haunting.

Top of the World by Patti Griffin- last ruminations a of a man who has failed in some ways to connect with his family and faith

Dark Eyes- Judy Collin's version of Bob Dylan ' s song , no words can describe

Randy Newman - I Miss You- a heartugger, true story that Randy wrote while happily married to his current wife, but was struck by a deep pang of remorse and regret for the love he had for the wife prior. I saw him do this in person to a crowd of thousands- you could hear a pin drop. And not a dry eye in the house.

Finally: Summer 's End- John Prine, bittersweet, likely a song written not to a lover, but a message to a not quite adult child down on her luck, from a still loving and caring dad.

See what ya think, and I promise ( if we don't get arrested for hijacking this thread) I ll next give you a short list of some happy and bouyant songs that are dear to me.
btw, except for Knopfler I have been fortunate to hear all these performers live,

@spookiemoviemania & @lenslady, hey guys, you do know you can PM each other?

Trying to figure out the last “face” here.

Not Mark Twain tho I can see a strong resemblance. He's Euopean but spent a lot of time further south.
This must be the next one. No clue who this is. Need more.

Did you read the Einstein clue Stirchley?

European MD known for doing good,
I 'm sure you know him.(also was a talented musician)

Did you read the Einstein clue Stirchley?

European MD known for doing good,
I 'm sure you know him.(also was a talented musician)
The thread went so off-track, I have no idea where we are now.

What do you mean Einstein?

And if you mean the man with the straw hat, have no clue who he is.

Well I ll repeat the clue, then

Face is European, travelled 'south' often,

When I was younger - if you did something stupid, someone might say:
"Well, you 're no Einstein."

For the face I posted here:
If you did something that was cruel and meanspirited, someone could tell you:
Well you're no.............(fill in the blank)

Glad to know Mark Twain has been an integral part of our youth worldwide. Hope that s true of this doctor ' s face.

Here s an even bigger clue:
When I was growing up, if you did something stupid, someone might say:
You're no Einstein.

And if you did something cruel and meanspirited, someone could say:
You're no.............................
A kind doctor. Need a think.

That is not a young Dr Albert Schweitzer lenslady? He spent a great deal of time in Africa.

Yes it is Schweitzer, young and dapper. Good job.

Your turn Spooky.