15. Prisoners
16. Begin Again
17. The Double
18. Blue Ruin
19. All is Lost
20. Side Effects

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Best Scene 2013

Lots of great ones to choose from. To break it down to my top 3, J Law is a scene stealer and my favorite in American Hustle are the toaster scene and the scene where she is cleaning and rocking out to Live and Let Die.

By a nose though, I'll give it to Gravity with the scene where Sandra's character make believes that Clooney found his way back. Very powerful scene for me.

This might just do nobody any good.
I could put any of the musical performances from ILD here, but the top honor would surely go to the final rendition of Fare Thee Well, with Llewyn finally having earned the words he sang, finally taking a step towards breaking the loop and giving him (and the audience) the hope that something could and would change.

Then, of course, we’re flatly told it won’t.

12 Years a Slave has that take Solomon panning across the screen with the sounds of his environment assaulting him and breaking apart whatever peace of mind he might hope to achieve.

WARNING: spoilers below
How can one not tear up at his reunion with his family.

I love the anecdotes of Alejandro Jodorowsky convincing Salvador Dali to play the Emperor of the Universe and one where David Carradine downs a whole container of vitamin c pills.

For Gravity I’d go with the Aningaaq bit. The ending is quite good too (and a good companion to the one from Only Lovers Left Alive).

The Lone Ranger has that wonderful Buster Keaton climax atop a train (which then turns into Once Upon a Time in the f***ing West for Pete’s sake!)

Leo, drugged out of his mind, trying to make it down a few steps. Snowpiercer’s fights in the tunnel and classroom. Gong Er and Ma San’s fight in the train station from The Grandmaster (pet monkey!)

This might just do nobody any good.
2013 was the year I joined in on an online film discussion. Read what people who had years of analyses posted and got new perspectives on movies I liked and had recently watched practically every day. Got turned towards lots of foreign stuff and buried entries from famous western directors. I also got Netflix for the first time late that year.

Good times.

Best Director 2013

Here's my nominees for Best Director for 2013:

Spike Jonze- Her
Alphonso Cuaron- Gravity
Paul Greengrass- Captain Phillips
Alexander Payne- Nebraska

With the winner being:
David O. Russell- American Hustle

For me the most memorable scene of 2013 for better or worse (definitely worse) is probably the chicken scene in Nothing Bad Can Happen Sean knows what i'm talking about

Best Scene 2013

Honorable Mentions: Toaster Fire American Hustle, I'm Not Going Anywhere Wolf Of Wall Street, Opening Gravity.

I should probably just rename this Sean's favorite musical scene of the year but those are the ones that stick to the emotions the best for me...so:

Best Screenplay 2013

Honorable Mentions: Wolf Of Wall Street, Inside Llewyn Davis, Blue Jasmine, August Osage County, Venus In Fur.

The one I love the most though is the one that entertained me and kept me laughing the most American Hustle

Best Cinematography 2013

Honorable Mentions: Under The Skin, Inside Llewyn Davis, Prisoners, Ida, Her

The best theater experience I have ever had. Never thought film could be this immersive. Gravity Mofos!

Best Director 2013

Honorable Mentions: Scorsese (WOWS), Russell (Hustle), Polley (Stories We Tell), Coen Brothers (Davis), Nichols(Mud)

How can I deny the director of one of the most unique experiences I have had watching a film: Alfonso Cauron Gravity

Supporting Performances 2013

Actress: Honorable Mentions: Sally Hawkins (Blue Jasmine), Carey Mulligan (LLewyn Davis), Julia Roberts (Osage County)

This one is really as tie for me because I adore Jennifer Lawrence in American Hustle but I have to give the nod to then newcomer Margo Robbie for Wolf Of Wall Street

Actor: Honorable Mentions: Matthew McConaughey (Mud), Chris Pratt (Her), Bradley Cooper (American Hustle)

I absolutely love Jonah Hill's willingness to be completely debauched in Wolf Of Wall Street. The result is his funniest performance and the proof that he can hang with any actor in any film.

For me the most memorable scene of 2013 for better or worse (definitely worse) is probably the chicken scene in Nothing Bad Can Happen Sean knows what i'm talking about
Oh God yes, that was awful.

Best Lead Performances 2013:

Actor: Honorable Mentions: Joaquin Phoenix (Her), Idris Alba (Mandela), Christian Bale (American Hustle), Tom Hardy (Locke), Chiwetel Ejifor (12 Years A Slave)

The greatest male performance of the year is by one of movie's biggest stars who didn't get his due till a couple of years later. DiCaprio Wolf Of Wall Street.

Actress: Honorable Mentions: Scarlett Johannsen (Under The Skin), Amy Adams (American Hustle), Emmanuelle Seigner (Venus In Fur), Tilda Swinton (Only Lovers Left Alive), Agata Trzebuchowska (Ida)

One of my favorite actresses gives my favorite performance of hers. Cate Blanchett Blue Jasmine.

Holy crap, i had no clue Idris Elba played Nelson Mandela. Have to see that at some point even though i imagine the film is mediocre, love Idris. Got to see Blue Jasmine too, Blanchett is one of the best working actresses and it seems to be one of Allen's most acclaimed films this century.

Holy crap, i had no clue Idris Elba played Nelson Mandela. Have to see that at some point even though i imagine the film is mediocre, love Idris. Got to see Blue Jasmine too, Blanchett is one of the best working actresses and it seems to be one of Allen's most acclaimed films this century.
Worth watching just for Idris, but pretty forgettable overall.

2013 Best Actor

Here's my nominees:

Tom Hanks- Captain Phillips
Christian Bale- American Hustle
Bruce Dern- Nebraska
Matthew McConnaughey- Dallas Buyers Club

But the winner here is:

Joaquin Phoenix- Her

Best Film 2013

I have watched 92 films released in 2013. My #1 for this year has flipped a couple times but after three watches of the top three I think I have settled on an order.

10) Blue Jasmine
9) Stories We Tell
8) The Kings Of Summer
7) Before Midnight
6) A Hijacking
5) Mud
4) The Wolf Of Wall Street
3) Gravity
2) American Hustle
1) Inside Llewyn Davis